Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve got a very old barn that has been converted into a shop & recently we’ve had a few bats move in. Dropping poop on everything. How does a guy get rid of them? I can’t see them to shoot them so am looking to other methods that might work

Thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put up a billboard in the asian part of town?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Leave 'em alone. They eat millions of bugs. Bat doo doo makes good fertilizer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pints;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust the day's behaving itself so far and you're well.

We've always been happy to have bats in the neighborhood as they eat an incredible amount of insects.

That said, I do understand the bat guano issue.

Have you considered building a bat house, put it somewhere the bat poo won't be an issue?

Just a thought.

All the best and Happy Fourth of July.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I mixed diesel and cheap cologne in a sprayer then sprayed the infested area, they left.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Pints;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust the day's behaving itself so far and you're well.

We've always been happy to have bats in the neighborhood as they eat an incredible amount of insects.

That said, I do understand the bat guano issue.

Have you considered building a bat house, put it somewhere the bat poo won't be an issue?

Just a thought.

All the best and Happy Fourth of July.

Dwayne

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Happy Fourth of July" coming from Johnny Canuck. How about that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They actually make for some pretty sporty shooting. smile

https://gamousa.com/product/arrow-pcp-22-caliber-rifle/

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Vinegar & water 50/50. Spray them and the roost area. I know they eat mosquitos but we had 40 or 50 take over the gable louvers on our attached garage and made a mess. Bat chit everywhere. Tolerated it a couple years and cleaned up after them. Then decided God don’t put me here to clean up after bats. Get them all together in daytime and spray them with a pump sprayer and the vinegar water. They may persist for a couple nights but will eventually find another motel.

The only way to prevent reinfestation is to physically block entry. That’s what I did after getting them evicted.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
simonkenton;
Thanks for the reply sir, I trust the day's going well for you down in North Carolina.

Since we're a site of gun folks, while I can't tell for sure, I'm hoping that Johnny Canuck is packing an Inglis Hi Power.

They were made by the John Inglis company that made appliances before and after the war. Our first washer and dryer pair when we were married was made by Inglis in fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Inglis_and_Company

While I wouldn't say they're the nicest made Hi Power, as a Canadian naturally they are my favorite. I have shot one, but sadly I don't own one and unless we're able to change things up here I never will.

That's part of my respect for you and many of the good folks south of the medicine line - that is the understanding that private property rights as well as the right to defend oneself is the foundation for a truly free society.

All that said then, sincerely I do hope you all have a Happy Fourth of July.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Caught them on glue traps before.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put up a bat house outside the barn, then do the spray method inside the barn. They'll relocate and be happy and not move back in. You still get the benefit of having them around and with a new home they won't move back into the barn

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want as many bats as I can around my house

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Effectively removing them from a residence is a pretty involved (and expensive) process if you don't want to use poison and if you don't want them moving back in.

To begin with, if you have any kind of colony at all, not every bat leaves every night. What is done, is the house is draped all over with large nets with mesh too fine for bats to get through. When the bats leave at night to forage, they end up having to crawl down the sides of the house to get out from under the nets. When they get back later, not being smart enough to go down under the net and crawl up the side of the house to get back in, they go find somewhere else to roost. After about a week, you can be sure you've got all the bats out of the house. At that point, you have to go around and calk up/seal up every opening they can get in through, which is to say anything larger than about a dime. That done, you're bat free. As you can imagie, it's not a cheap thing to have done or to do yourself, given the cost of those nets. I guess nets are available that you just put up and leave up, but I would guess that, even if you put them up really well, over time weather and sunlight would cause them to deteriorate. Might be worth a try, though: https://www.industrialnetting.com/b...G_Ia5YuduzT3Yka3JjOCK0huoJxoCuPUQAvD_BwE

I've never seen instances where bat houses were very effective at getting them to leave a spot they'd already colonized.

I have a friend, recently retired from the NYSDEC as a fish and wildlife technician. In addition to crawling into dens and putting tracking collars on hibernating bears, one of his winter jobs was going into big caves and counting hibernating bats...thousands and thousands of bats....don't think I'd care for it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fully understand their benefit but I’m still going to try diesel in a bug sprayer & maybe add a few sticky traps.

I’ve built two bat boxes in the distant parts of the lot but they still seem to prefer the barn.

So much guano not enough time

Thanks all for chiming in!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KFWA
I want as many bats as I can around my house

Around - yes. Inside - prob not so much

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They don't like strong smells. I've gotten rid of a solitary bat who liked a spot under my deck by putting a cotton ball soaked with mint oil up there. After that dried and he came back, I've also sprayed some hornet spray up there before sunrise so it would still be strong when he returned. That worked even better. For a more permanent solution, I wedged a pool noodle in the crevice he entered through.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried that vinegar, didn’t keep mine away but the diesel & cologne, they never came back.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Leave 'em alone. They eat millions of bugs. Bat doo doo makes good fertilizer.
Ever hear of histoplasmosis?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Boxes to encourage roosting elsewhere. You probably have a female with pups in there now.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ll have to take a look inside the boxes - hoping to coexist but can’t have them shi**ing on everything in the shop anymore

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.