Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Yup, that Chico area is a hot one in summertime. I like to complain out here by the Delta then I look to see Chico and Redding's Temp.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Higginez
Did my first long cook with this yesterday. Single rack of baby backs at 225. Got a few questions for the pellet guys though. Every time this thing adds more pellets it smokes heavily with white smoke. Normal?

Also, towards the last hour and a half temps would jump up to 325 ish. Wtf? I shut it down and restarted and it seemed to settle down.

Ribs were in top 3 I’ve done so no complaints there.

The jumping to 325 is just it feeding a pile of pellets for some reason but I doubt it hurts anything as your ribs reflected Hig.

I also wouldn’t sweat the puff of white when it adds pellets. Just typical the way it cycles.

What sorta run on the ribs?

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Problem is it's not a small puff of white smoke. It bellows for 2-3 min every time it cycles and adds pellets. Smokes out the neighbors at the campground. Pretty obnoxious.

I contacted GMG and they said I needed to do a firmware update. Dragged it back home as this required WiFi to update. I've got a few leftover ribs heating up and watching it run. Still doing it although maybe a bit less. It's kicking on a fan to get back up to temp and that is causing the smoke. Blows smoke for a good three minutes until it gets 3-5 degrees over set temp.

3-2-1 Baby Backs at 225 and 275 to finish.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Solid copy. I’ve never seen it get so heavy it’s making the neighbors mad. Must be the way the fan heats up the pellets quick to get the smoke rolling like that.

3-2-1 is a good one. I’ve gone to a 6 hour straight, no wrap on 225. At hour 5 I put a light coat of my favorite sauce on them to make them sticky.

Just can’t beat great ribs.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Had dinner with some friends last night. He did baby backs. Salt, pepper @ 350 on a propane grill for about an hour and a half.

They were really great. Crispy with a little pull. Wife says mine are better, but I'm on the fence.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had dinner with some friends last night. He did baby backs. Salt, pepper @ 350 on a propane grill for about an hour and a half.

They were really great. Crispy with a little pull. Wife says mine are better, but I'm on the fence.

That’s danged fast for ribs. I guess I’d try a single rack just for grins.

I know the 6 hour cook will be good though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I'm telling you, it's rather unbelievable how good they are. He's very good at finishing them. Always props the lid on the bbq a bit to maintain temp.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm telling you, it's rather unbelievable how good they are. He's very good at finishing them. Always props the lid on the bbq a bit to maintain temp.

Think I could do the same on a Traeger set at 350?

I’m always willing to try.

If not the Traeger I could put them on the Weber at a sustained 350 I think….

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Yeah man. No reason you couldn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
He'd be fun to take to a rib cook off.

Roll up with a Char Griller about 4 hours late...

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hig-

A group of us will be coming through your AO on Thursday, say, around 1:00. I’ll take a half rack.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Bring crab...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hig,

Any chance that the pellets are damp, and producing the white smoke? Just a guess.

Jason

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Just bought a bag of Traeger the same day from Home Depot.

Seem dry enough. Not much powder either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regarding grilled ribs, I think that they can turn out really, really good.

Hell, in the 80's and 90's hardly anyone that I knew had a dedicated smoker. And if they did, it was something that was towed behind a truck or an immovable object in the backyard. But people cooked the hell out of ribs on grills and I don't think anyone complained. I can't say that anything off of a pellet grill today tastes any better.

Grilling ribs is also super easy. If they look like they are cooking too fast, move to a cooler part of the grill, turn the heat down, or prop the lid like your friend. Low and slow is also pretty easy, but it takes a lot longer to see the results. And I don't recall ever making grilled ribs too tender. I've made that mistake a few times at 225F, but that might just be me losing track of time.

I don't use foil or any wrap when grilling, so the ribs don't get steamed or sit in any liquid. Maybe fat and juices dripping on the fire add more flavor? I don't know, but I have been to some local rib joints that people really like and I think that one can do just as good at home or better, and without any special equipment.

The only thing that I use a dedicated smoker for anymore is for fish. Otherwise, I just use a smoke generator for cold smoke or throw chips or pellets on lump for a bit of flavor. Then grill. And sometimes even the oven.

I think GregW has posted that he just grills on lump and doesn't even bother adding additional smoke.

I tried MossyMO's hot and fast ribs a few months ago and they turned out awesome. And you get that crust all around each rib piece. May not be traditional, but dang tasty and easy!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...rch/true/re-hot-n-fast-ribs#Post17059359

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/05/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought a bag of Traeger the same day from Home Depot.

Seem dry enough. Not much powder either.

I've never done it, but some guys microwave the pellets or put them in the oven to make sure that they are dry. Sounds like it may stink like hell though. I was going to dry some in my smoker, and store in an airtight container but haven't done it.

I can't prove it for sure, but it seems like I get a ton of moisture in my electric smoker with pellets compared to wood chips. People claim that pellets absorb moisture more than chips and chunks.

I'm in the PNWet, and it's really only dry in July and August so that might have something to do with it too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One other thing, with the smoke generator it seems like wood dust gives me better smoke than pellets. That is, a nice thin blue smoke. The pellets make white and even acrid brown smoke, but that might be the way that a smoke generator functions. Or they are just damp.

Anymore, I only use pellets on top of lump (by the handful). I don't even care for them for that, but my buddy tells me to keep some on hand in order to make sawdust for an emergency outhouse!

All that stated, if the food tastes good, it probably doesn't matter what the smoke looks like. Smoke helps keep the bugs away!

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the intel 4th Point.

I've been smoking with just lump for years with great success. Some Hickory now and then too I guess, but I always wait until I have that thin blue smoke.

This schidt is white crappy smoke like from a campfire.

Kinda funny really.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by beretzs

I’m more confident doing the long slow smoke but I have done hot and fast ribs several times now. I didn’t come up with it I saw it on a Facebook Weber group( maybe Owens will see this and speak to it). This particular way you go on and slice your ribs up. Season however you prefer. Place them around the outside of your grate with your coal in the vortex in the center. Basically doing them like wings. They turn out very good and makes having ribs a option for a week day for us.

Like I said I’m more consistent with the more traditional cook but I think with a little more practice a fella could nail down the hot and fast like Higgs buddy has. I’m sure the lower and slower is a little more forgiving than hot and fast. Always cool to read about and try new things.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by beretzs

I’m more confident doing the long slow smoke but I have done hot and fast ribs several times now. I didn’t come up with it I saw it on a Facebook Weber group( maybe Owens will see this and speak to it). This particular way you go on and slice your ribs up. Season however you prefer. Place them around the outside of your grate with your coal in the vortex in the center. Basically doing them like wings. They turn out very good and makes having ribs a option for a week day for us.

Like I said I’m more consistent with the more traditional cook but I think with a little more practice a fella could nail down the hot and fast like Higgs buddy has. I’m sure the lower and slower is a little more forgiving than hot and fast. Always cool to read about and try new things.

I'd be down to try it. I can sacrifice one rack for science.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.