Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by plainsman456
That looks good.
F'yes

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I broke down and ordered a lightweight 18" RLGS 6ARC from X-Caliber to go with my heavy 21", during their Memorial day sale.

It's such a fun cartridge, I was hitting at 1k pretty easily at the range on Friday. I'll probably pick up some 103gr ELDx and use something between them and 95gr BTs for deer in the 18".

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm liking it too.
For how small, and little recoil, it sure seems to lob bullets pretty well.

How is a Hornady 105 grain bthp for hunting.
I know it's a target bullet, but any expansion from them ?
Bigstick ?
You shot anything living with one ?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I run the 105bthp outta a 243. Blacktails dont like it

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
5 shots of 29.5 grains of leverevolution under a 105gr bthp averaged at 2676 fps, and was only using 2 mils to hit at 400 yards today.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by splattermatic
5 shots of 29.5 grains of leverevolution under a 105gr bthp averaged at 2676 fps, and was only using 2 mils to hit at 400 yards today.

What kind of accuracy are you getting at 400? Just curious, as where I do a lot of shooting now, I generally test my rifles at 400 yards too, when the wind isn't howling too much. Even though at my last match the wind was 16 mph off and on.. Making it a shidt load of fun. I generally don't give two fu cks about the wind, but there are a lot of guys that fall apart when shooting in it. At the range though, you can't expect groups to look tight or even land where you want them to, if the winds are howling. The other day I had to hold 2 moa off target at 400 and was still not dead nuts:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That was with the baby bullet (32gr) from the 204 Ruger. Funny thing is it did not really affect the 7mm rem mag shooting 162gr ELDX pills.. The reason I ask is because I wanted to compare your 6 ARC to my 6x45 at 400. I don't think my rifle shoots as consistently as yours does, but it is sub moa for 5 shots at 100 yards with loads it likes. I still need to take that rifle out and do some more shooting past 400 to see what it is capable of.. I think its capable for what it is, just no where near as capable as your ARC. Thanks for posting your results buddy. Its interesting to me. Also, I should add what I'm seeing at the shoots is the 6mm cartridges are prevailing in the wind. They require very minimal wind correction, so they dominate. Guys using the 6GT, 6 Creed, and other fast 6mm's do quite well. I hear them talking and saying they are not correcting for wind much at all. Where with my 6.5, I had to hold off a bit, depending on what the wind was doing at that moment. Its not too hard to figure out, if you pay attention to your environment, but those fast 6's are fun to watch. I believe they were at the top of the heap on scores too, then I fell in 4th with the lowly ol 6.5...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What kind of accuracy are you getting at 400? Just curious, as where I do a lot of shooting now, I generally test my rifles at 400 yards too, when the wind isn't howling too much. Even though at my last match the wind was 16 mph off and on.. Making it a shidt load of fun. I generally don't give two fu cks about the wind, but there are a lot of guys that fall apart when shooting in it. At the range though, you can't expect groups to look tight or even land where you want them to, if the winds are howling. The other day I had to hold 2 moa off target at 400 and was still not dead nuts:
That was with the baby bullet (32gr) from the 204 Ruger. Funny thing is it did not really affect the 7mm rem mag shooting 162gr ELDX pills.. The reason I ask is because I wanted to compare your 6 ARC to my 6x45 at 400. I don't think my rifle shoots as consistently as yours does, but it is sub moa for 5 shots at 100 yards with loads it likes. I still need to take that rifle out and do some more shooting past 400 to see what it is capable of.. I think its capable for what it is, just no where near as capable as your ARC. Thanks for posting your results buddy. Its interesting to me. Also, I should add what I'm seeing at the shoots is the 6mm cartridges are prevailing in the wind. They require very minimal wind correction, so they dominate. Guys using the 6GT, 6 Creed, and other fast 6mm's do quite well. I hear them talking and saying they are not correcting for wind much at all. Where with my 6.5, I had to hold off a bit, depending on what the wind was doing at that moment. Its not too hard to figure out, if you pay attention to your environment, but those fast 6's are fun to watch. I believe they were at the top of the heap on scores too, then I fell in 4th with the lowly ol 6.5...

They have these things called ballistic calculators, try it out it. It will blow your mind.

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/

Last edited by 79S; 07/01/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to blow minds take a little scratch find a fast twist 22 caliber barrel 1-7 or 1-6.5 have a 22-250 made then buy some of those 90gr SMK bc of .559 one should have no problem making 2900 with that bullet out if a 22-250 I finish the barrel at 26-27 inches.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
If you want to blow minds take a little scratch find a fast twist 22 caliber barrel 1-7 or 1-6.5 have a 22-250 made then buy some of those 90gr SMK bc of .559 one should have no problem making 2900 with that bullet out if a 22-250 I finish the barrel at 26-27 inches.

Sure thing..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

They have these things called ballistic calculators, try it out it. It will blow your mind.

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/

You are quite the funny guy.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Sure thing..

The BC on that 90gr SMK is actually .563. LGS has a model 670 in a 06 priced pretty cheap was thinking snagging it and having fast 22-250 barrel screwed on it. It would be a straight up high-power match rifle for 1000yd matches.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cut flutes today, (still a little more to do). What happens under the handguard stays under the handguard, right? Right? Next time I will have a clue.

Oh, forgot to weigh it first. LOL spec is 41.3oz.

So, it's 0.850" diameter, minus 0.243" = 0.607" / 2 =>0.3035" walls. I cut six 0.250 width flutes 0.150" deep. Up front of the gas port, I cut to the same depth, though the outside diameter is a bit less.

Ended up deciding to use a billet receiver set from Noreen who's fairly local here. Not overly impressed. I dinked around breaking some edges and ground off the nubs for the port door on the upper. It's sans forward assist. Too rough a blast before their anodizing. Really didn't notice beforehand, but, they say they are 6061 T6, which is fairly unusual. Cerakoting later.

We'll see. Might get it together late tonight, or not. Will follow up with details.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nice.
Keep us up on how it shoots now.
I may still want my barrel lightened up....
A 10 pound AR isn't what I want to lug around.

Last edited by splattermatic; 07/02/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ended up at 31.7 ounces. So, almost 10 ounces below spec. FDE in the oven.

--- Kid Rock 2022

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Sure thing..

The BC on that 90gr SMK is actually .563. LGS has a model 670 in a 06 priced pretty cheap was thinking snagging it and having fast 22-250 barrel screwed on it. It would be a straight up high-power match rifle for 1000yd matches.

Yeah, I wish Tikka would have went just a hair faster on their twist. I've been watching videos on those 90's for a while now. Sierra advertises them at .563 bc. I can run the 80gr Hornady ELD match with a bc of .485. Not quite a good, but will stabilize in the 22-250 I have on hand. I'm sure any of those bullets will work well for the varmint silhouette's I'm shooting at. Hell, the 53's do pretty damn well when the wind isn't howling..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think Berger...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tomme boy
BA barrels are about as good as a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel. Friends don't let friends buy BA, BCA, Faxon barrels

Don’t leave everyone hanging, what is the best AR barrel to buy ?

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
7.55 pounds, barrel accuracy, per thread topic TBD. I don't seem to have an ARC-appropriate scope on hand. Could be a long while.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Noreen billet receivers, barrel extension fit was tight as hell, assembled upper to lower fit tight as hell.
BA 18" 6mmARC, rifle gas, flutes
Melonite gas tube, Aero 2nd gen AGB, with a small relief for the adjustment screw...
WOA Varmint Float Tube
Toolcraft BCG
NBS billet charging handle
FAB Defense JooJoo buttstock
RRA NM two-stage trigger, Dirty Bird antiwalk pins
Misc other stuff, about a 4oz buffer, ASC mags, Magpul + grip.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok.
So when do you want my barrel to cut flutes !!??

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 76 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.