Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 115 of 196 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 195 196
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Those are two of my favorite bullets from the .458 - the 350 TSX and 480 DGX. For information only: ~2750 fps from the 350 TSX using a max dose of H4198, and 2353 fps from the 480 DGX using a max load of H4895 ("max" = a full load slightly compressed with bullets seated to 3.44" for the 350 and 3.58" for the 480.) AND, all that from a rifle identical to yours - a Ruger No.1H.

Congrats!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jrnicho/JRN,

You were living large on safari with a Ruger No. 1 .458 WM and a .450 NE.
Congratulations on your immediate success.
Buy a donkey for the excellent additions to the thread.
Much terminal ballistic info there.
Kindly pick your Sir Name for a Knight's chair at the Square Table.
Something unique, Joe and John are taken by other worthy ones.

About your comments on the other site,
the reincarnation here could have some fun with the previous bumblings at the anchor baby site,
no end to the nonsense there.
Politics, religion, and the .458 Winchester Magnum can always be counted on to stir up a heathen Lottite.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
J
J
Bob,,
Excellent info and have always enjoyed your page. I was lucky enough to run into a significant quantity of TSXs in 458 cal of various weights so your data is appreciated.
JRN

RIP,
Good to hear from you and the work on the mission. Here are some additional terminal photos.

Black wildebeest - right at 100yds

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Springbok - 80 yds. Granted a springbok is no match for the 458. Nonetheless, I don't like tracking animals (and neither do the PHs!).

I wish I had a photo of the one cape buffalo cow - at impact (18yds) from the 450 nitro (OG 458 - 480 gr) she flipped upside down with all four feet in the air. More decisive than my previous buffalo with a 375.

My sons used 375s. A great caliber, just not as great as the 458!

JRN

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Thanks for posting. Exquisite rifle. WOW

Thank You Sir.

Sir Ron, as always many thanks for the history lessons and peek into your machine/gun shop, yes, all good here on the cattle, getting rid of a ginat split trunk red oak cattle killer tree has saved me no telling what, i dont have cattle insurance and certainly dont fill out whining and begging subsidy forms from uncle sugar, farming for fun a man has really got to keep a hard eye on his wares ; ]

All good and bearing down hard on Africa with the 458 WM+ and 404gr Hammers, it will do all the work save for one animal this year, near, or out to 350 yards. cool

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rip,
Buy a Donkey for the Blue Balls! LOL!!!
We need to get you Shooting!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Tony,
I thought it was funny too, will buy two donkeys, one for you and one for me.
Sir Jerry alluded to some sweaty, good work on his cattle ranch, disaster averted.

[Linked Image]

My problem for the last two months was a disaster not averted, resulting in a blue ball of foot.
The scene of my disaster:

[Linked Image]

The usually dry ditch had green algae slime in it and I did not look before I stepped into it.
Ended up on my back with right foot kicking just wrong into point of a landscaping block
overhanging other side of ditch:

[Linked Image]

I vividly remember feeling a couple of snap-crackles in my foot.
I jumped up and looked to see if anyone had seen my vaudeville-worth slapstick gag, then finished mowing, walking on my heel,
pretending like nothing happened.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am feeling fit to shoot as soon as the heat lets up. Still mostly miserable here.
I need to rock and roll on that right foot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jrnicho,
Buy a donkey !
More great stuff, proof that the 350-gr TSX at modest velocity is a killer-diller.
Sir Joe has pointed me to some excellent results in Oz with the 400-gr Woodleigh PPSN also.
For one, a charge of 77 gr of H4895 (IIRC), which is a Woodleigh standard SAAMI-ish load giving 2350 fps MV,
killed porcine, bovine, canine, and equine feral animals with aplomb.
On a "broomie" horse it entered at point of shoulder and quartered back to offside hide across the body.
One shot DRT and beautiful recovered bullet, etc.

Limping around here has allowed me to consider trying H4198 with the 404gr Hammer also,
along with AA-2015BR suggested by Sir Jerry and highly recommended by Sir Dennis.
H4198 is THE powder for the 350-gr TSX.
Maybe the reduced bearing and drag of the PDR bands will allow it to be speedy with the 404gr Shock Hammer too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That hoof looks a heck of a stone bruise.
Definitely time to walk softly and carry a big stick.
Another box of 400/404 Shock Hammers in the Palmolive Ultra Strength cleansing bath.
The 350 TSX certainly seems like it would be a stone cold killer of anything in North America. If I recall correctly it penetrated 18" in the MIB test lab.
I am pretty much sold on the 404 Shock Hammer for my one and done, do-it-all .458 bullet in bolt actions.
Though, I do intend to load some of the 350 grain North Fork Cup Point Expanding Solids, the 380 grain Leigh Copper Flat, and the on back order since February CEB 325 grain Safari Solids.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sir Ron, yes, cow killer tree on ground, split and piled to dry along with 4 hickory and two water oak, all GTG, will be looking forward to results on 2015BR and 404 Hammers, glad to see you're healing up, i have kind of a wide hoof, Thorogood composite toe pull on leather boots are great for working, water and shock proof, i never feel the safety toe covering, great boots made in the USA and priced right, iirc i got out of Gellco up in Ft Smith for less than 150 bucks.

Time is drawing near for Africa, i'll get little Wife to snap a couple pics of the 'Big Sticks' i'll be using on this Safari and send em to you for posting if you wish.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sir Ron,
Glad your doing better, as we all realize it could have been worse, and was Bad enough! Not Fun at All!
Yeah too Hot for Shooting at the moment.
Dealt with a Bum Heal for a Month in a Half, and Had to crawl to the private room one evening, (not fun),
Achilles Tendinitis! Who Knew. Headin Down to the Feed Mill to Buy a Donkey for all US Old Timers! LOL!!!

Sir Jerry,
Glad you got that Widow Maker Down, Looks like she'll burn pretty good!
The African Adventure is getting Closer for you. Keep your Powder Dry!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sir Ron,

In today's blog, you and Jerry get some honors. A blog dedicated to the grand .458 WM, and yes, H4198 (not IMR), gets quite a bit of recognition. I got my best velocity for the 400-X using it. No data given though on amount. It was "borrowed" and extrapolated!

Sorry for you about the foot! Yeah - getting "older" has it's adventures that aren't exactly memorable!

Get well, and your boots are a reminder for me.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldmay375
That hoof looks a heck of a stone bruise.
The 350 TSX certainly seems like it would be a stone cold killer of anything in North America. If I recall correctly it penetrated 18" in the MIB test lab.
I am pretty much sold on the 404 Shock Hammer for my one and done, do-it-all .458 bullet in bolt actions.
Though, I do intend to load some of the 350 grain North Fork Cup Point Expanding Solids, the 380 grain Leigh Copper Flat, and the on back order since February CEB 325 grain Safari Solids.

Amen !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sir Ron, yes, cow killer tree on ground, split and piled to dry along with 4 hickory and two water oak, all GTG, will be looking forward to results on 2015BR and 404 Hammers, glad to see you're healing up, i have kind of a wide hoof, Thorogood composite toe pull on leather boots are great for working, water and shock proof, i never feel the safety toe covering, great boots made in the USA and priced right, iirc i got out of Gellco up in Ft Smith for less than 150 bucks.

Time is drawing near for Africa, i'll get little Wife to snap a couple pics of the 'Big Sticks' i'll be using on this Safari and send em to you for posting if you wish.

That is a heck of a pile of firewood. I think a hickory-stocked .458 WM/WM+ would be some great firewood.
Will look for those Thorogood boots, have a Red Wing Pecos with steel toe, custom stretched for my own funny feet,
and some Red Wing Engineer boots with buckles, yeehah !
Might have to get the right boots stretched again for my now funnier right foot.

Sir Jerry practices his quick draw safari manual of arms below:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CZ550
Sir Ron,

In today's blog, you and Jerry get some honors. A blog dedicated to the grand .458 WM, and yes, H4198 (not IMR), gets quite a bit of recognition. I got my best velocity for the 400-X using it. No data given though on amount. It was "borrowed" and extrapolated!

Sorry for you about the foot! Yeah - getting "older" has it's adventures that aren't exactly memorable!

Get well, and your boots are a reminder for me.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Thanks for the blog, last two weeks are great ones, to which I can only add AMEN.

Today is the anniversary of some Lab Radar data from 07-03-2021,
shot with the factory barrel, 24", 1:14" twist, 0.459"-grooved, .450"-bored, 1980 vintage Ruger No. 1.
That is a .458 WM+ rifle for sure:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got excited when I saw the 500-gr TBSS 3-shot landed close to the 450-gr TSX 5-shot at 100 yards,
looking through the 9X setting of the Nikon scope.
I blew it on the last two shots with the TBSS.
They were the last two shots of 25 shots of .458 WM+ handloads
and 6 shots of factory .458 WM as a control that day, shot in less than an hour,
while the young man who owned the Lab Radar stood by.
Smart kid, a CAD/CAM machinist, son of my gunsmith, and I knew he had better things to do.
That is my story and I am sticking to it. The Ruger No. 1 shoots better than I do, truth be told.

Yes, the Hornady .458 WM 500-gr DGS factory load was "right-on" by Lab Radar: 2140.3 fps MV and 1866.7 fps at 100 yards.

More anniversary review:
With same center-of-target hold at 100 yards and no scope setting changes
the Point-Of-Impact elevation differences of the loads are noted below:

.458 WM 500-gr DGS at 2140 fps: POI = + 9.5" (slow bullet, greater barrel time, greater muzzle elevation at barrel exit)
.458 WM+ 480-gr DGX-Bonded at 2405 fps: POI = -4.5" (lower impact by 14") (83.0 gr. AA-2460 handload, 3.560" COL)
.458 WM+ 450-gr TSX at 2459 fps: POI = -3"
.458 WM+ 500-gr TBSS at 2408 fps: POI = - 4" approximately.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry,

I hope those are your Wife's boots in the corner, especially the soft-toed moccasin type.
Those would not do for ranch work.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Sir Tony, just yesterday i heard of a client getting himself killed and a PH badly wounded trailing up a bad hit Cape Buffalo, i have no details other than that, we as hunters HAVE a damn job to do for so many reasons, we must practice relentlessly and place killing shots on animals, we owe it to the animal, PH, trackers, our wives if they're along, and lastly to ourselves, drawing blood and not finding the animal will be another good kick in the balls when they pay the trophy fees even of no one is injured or killed, so yes Sir, trigger time aplenty and always pray for no component failures ; ]

Widow maker/Cow Killer will indeed put forth much heat for the Winter of '23.

BTW, JRN, nice animals and great shooting Sir.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the honors Sir Bob, i'll check that page out when i get caught up a bit.

LOL! Sir Ron, Thanks for posting the pics Sir, i had to roll up a sleeve and tuck my damn shirt tail in to show my favorite way of carrying rifle, ammo on belt along with Bagwell Damascus Skinner out back, with bino over left hip, great setup for right handed shooters, a simple pull around with left hand can let me stand and glass with the rifles muzzles always pointing down, still not brave enough to rest one on top of my boot, also wont glass with rifle on shoulder top holding my muzzle swinging and turning all around with face in bino, just a safety deal for me.

Kneeling and glassing is all together different, butt in dirt and gaze away, i tell you these 10.5-11 pound rifles handle and point like fine bird guns, i suppose if one were glassing and something exploded out of the bush nearby you could certainly get it into battery PDQ holding safely down by stock wrist.

Those boots in the corner are black elephant, a favorite pair of moccasins i love to early bow, black powder and Sharps rifle hunt in before it gets to cold, the other pair are the only boots no one would wear if they weren't so comfortable, i mean, come on, yellow boots with knots all over! grin little Woman wears a size 7 LOL!

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry,

No offense to the Missus, didn't think about implying big feet on the petite lady.
What a swell cook she is too.
I see the moccasin boots are quiet for stalking. No sin in that, pun intended.

Serious now, cape buffalo killed a client and beat up the PH ?
More details or a link, please ?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No offense taken Sir Ron i knew you were joking around, but you bet, 5'8" 122lb woman that runs like a doe deer and cooks like Aunt Jemima, the reason it's a daily struggle for me not to weigh 900 damn lbs, sadly, yes of the client/PH, i have no details at the moment, did reach to all outfitters that have booked my hunts, all their guys are good, bad deal man.

Just went and looked up in the African Forum, seems RinB has heard something too.

Last edited by gunner500; 07/03/22.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
How's everyone doing ?
Seems y'all have been busy killin ruminates, trees, almost feet and targets 😆💪
Good job.
I wonder how 1/4" thick hickory boards , laminated together would work for a rifle stock ?
Should be strong enough !
I can say that the .458 , 350 gr TSX and X bullets @ 2550 fps mv, slaughter big brown bear in a most satisfying way. I'm sure faster would be if anything even more instantaneous.
As long as it didn't hinder follow up shots in rapid order.
Just that there are times when more than 1 furry problem is inbound.
Practice practice practice.

Sir Ron, 1 bad fall on March 30 2020 changed my life forever with blowing 5 tendons off my left rotator cuff.
I think the most dangerous thing a person can do is fall down. Historically I've fell down a Lot.
Stiff soled boots are great things . I wear Viberg 105 T when falling timber , arborist work and logging. Occasionally, if it's dry, I will wear my White Smoke Jumpers.
Due to some knee injuries I need to find a low heel , stiff soled boot. Not as stiff or warm as my Koflack Infernos.
The search is on. Hobbling around on 1 + 1/2 knee gets old and tiring fast.
I'm still building our home. This summers job is a garage addition to the house.
Once I can get the engine on my sawmill to start and run.
Last I checked, 7/16" osb was $50.00 a sheet. I can make a bunch of 1"×8" boards for 50 bucks. So sheet goods will get passed over for this build. Winter is coming.
We are in Red Flag Warnings here and mostly have been for a week.

Page 115 of 196 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 195 196

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.