Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Tripped across this, and see its 11 years old..

as always, in between seasons, or when the weather is not cooperating... such as this spring, so much rain which is unusual here in Southern Oregon this time of year... it has left muddy roads on farmers property, and the weeds, grass and alfalfa has been astronomically tall real quick this year...

So with time on my hands, with fuel prices etc....

I have been playing with Blue Dot, Alliant Steel and Unique... using 40, 50, 53 and 55 grain bullets...

with a charge of 11.5 grains with Blue Dot and Alliant Steel, and 10 grains of Unique...

been going to the range 2 or 3 times a week, with 20 rounds loaded up most of the time.. and ringing steel pretty consistently...

at 300 and 400 yds... figure out the trajectory, and its hitting 10 to 13 inch diameter gongs pretty darn consistently...

at 400 yds, cross winds and swirling, gives me some close misses.... but at 300 yds, it is pretty much a hit each time... almost a chip shot..

been using V Maxes, Hornady and Speer SPs, and Sierra and Hornady match bullets...

Helps forget about fuel prices and Biden Screwing up the entire country....

Heck 5 tanks of fuel is the same price as buying a new rifle.... so I'm cutting down on burning up fuel and spending more time around the homestead... either taking care of the lawn almost 7 days a week, rotating mowing the 2 acres or so in sections... each section needs mowed every 3 days with this rain.... and vacation time is a trip over to the range, 3 miles from the house...

and the weather report says pollen is high... and look for showers again tonight...

If I didn't have this as relax time, this world would be driving me nuts....

I saw 10 pounds of blue dot at a new gun shop I went to the other day and thought of you.. ha ha.. They want $35/pound for it. Don't know if that is reasonable, but I figure it would save money. Kind of like buying an EV. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
35 sucks but it's AVAILABLE and BD really is economical. Cool, fast bullets. LGS's here are still naked of anything but bullets.

As for AR, I don't think it's possible unless you totally alter the gas system and/or bolt carrier. I tried BD loads in my VM15 and nope, no cycle, and these were firm loads in my bolter. I suspect either the port has to be moved back, or you need to totally "swiss cheeze" the carrier because you are NOT going to get more gas at the right time at the right place in the barrel. BD loads do their work early, which is why the muzzle report is so relatively quiet compared to full-house "real" loads. What makes BD work is, the curve of the pressure is shaped so there's a smooth, high push without spikes, and that curve is affected by overall pressure. There's a sweet spot there, nobody really knows WHY it's there, but it exists and is special.

I have considered buying a carrier and finding a lighter spring to see if it's possible because it would be fun if it worked. But I know you can't make it work by tweaking the load. Good BD loads are "real" loads and you can't ignore physics.

One suggestion, something I've asked Seafire about, is Lil Gun under lightweights in 223. LG is fabulous in the Fireball, makes it act like a 223 in the 40 grain class. "Book" under 40s for Fireball is about 16, I run 15.5. I've THOUGHT about trying 15.5 of LG as a starting number in 223 and working up on a chronograph, but with components so ridiculously scarce, I'm focused on just enjoying the pet loads I already have.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And it’s not just the pressure at the port - the action also needs enough gas volume to function. Most BD loads use about half the charge weight of “normal” propellants, hence half the gas volume.

I’m not certain if Lil’Gun is a good choice for reduced loads. While it may work great in high density .221 FB loads, similar charge weights in a much larger case may not work so well - or they may. Many ball powders don’t do well at low charge densities.

Last edited by DoubleRadius; 07/03/22.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
35 sucks but it's AVAILABLE and BD really is economical. Cool, fast bullets. LGS's here are still naked of anything but bullets.

As for AR, I don't think it's possible unless you totally alter the gas system and/or bolt carrier. I tried BD loads in my VM15 and nope, no cycle, and these were firm loads in my bolter. I suspect either the port has to be moved back, or you need to totally "swiss cheeze" the carrier because you are NOT going to get more gas at the right time at the right place in the barrel. BD loads do their work early, which is why the muzzle report is so relatively quiet compared to full-house "real" loads. What makes BD work is, the curve of the pressure is shaped so there's a smooth, high push without spikes, and that curve is affected by overall pressure. There's a sweet spot there, nobody really knows WHY it's there, but it exists and is special.

I have considered buying a carrier and finding a lighter spring to see if it's possible because it would be fun if it worked. But I know you can't make it work by tweaking the load. Good BD loads are "real" loads and you can't ignore physics.

One suggestion, something I've asked Seafire about, is Lil Gun under lightweights in 223. LG is fabulous in the Fireball, makes it act like a 223 in the 40 grain class. "Book" under 40s for Fireball is about 16, I run 15.5. I've THOUGHT about trying 15.5 of LG as a starting number in 223 and working up on a chronograph, but with components so ridiculously scarce, I'm focused on just enjoying the pet loads I already have.

I knew John Noveske before he managed to die in a car accident. He lived here in my town.. and was a native of here...

He use to ask me about my Blue Dot loads when we ran into each other at our local range....He modified one of his AR's to be able to run Blue Dot load thru it, where it would cycle the bolt. Those more mechanical than I am versed on that subject could probably figure that out. But he let me fire some of my loads thru the ( at least one guy, he had modified.. although I am sure there were others... he liked the idea.) AR he first modified... and like most things he built, they pretty much always worked...

He set his up for 12.5 grain loads of Blue Dot with a 55 grain Bullet.... 50s, 52s and 53s also worked well with that same 12.5 grain charge...

2600 fps was the MV....Noveske was a good guy... to bad he passed way to young.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Confirms my suspicions. Falkor is here, I wonder if I could sniff around their parts pile, buy a carrier and start drilling. Hmmmm.

Seafire, was the port location modified? Carbine versus rifle, can you remember?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry Dave,

John Noveske has been gone for quite a while now.. and that was done a 4 or 5 years before he was killed in that car accident.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.