Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was 300 yards uphill from home one morning returning from an unsuccessful deer hunt. I saw a skunk waddling along and did a Texas heart shot with a 3K FPS handload from my .30-06. The stink got to the house before I did!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dogs actually caught a skunk in an area I'd let them run when I lived in some apartments. That was Memorial Day, 1998 I believe. They got bathed out on the balcony within minutes. Regardless, I could smell skunk at my front door before I even opened it for weeks when I got home from work each afternoon. They still smelled like skunk when Labor Day rolled around. That still wasn't as bad as one time in Idaho when they found a badger that had been dead for about a week and smeared themselves with Gore. Talk about gagging!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Im gonna try that peroxide concoction. The GSPs aren't smelling too bad now but the anatolian reeks.

I'm not going near that evil carcass though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It works way better than the old tomato juice trick, or just using dawn or any other soap.

Had a couple of dogs get skunked in SoCal, in the burbs, right outside the back bedroom. All the windows in the house were wide open as it was summer and a nice cool evening. They had heard something, ran out the patio door and around the side of the house before anyone could call them back.

Nasty nasty nasty, house was screwed for a couple of weeks. Dog got the peroxide etc bath and were OK in a little while, the house couldn't be bathed dammit.

I've got a tube trap out for a squirrel right now and hope as skunk doesn't mess with it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dogs have had their share of skunk fun over the years, now they just point them, letting me do the dirty work. Shotguns seem to work best at keeping them from spraying. Feed bag, bag it, close tight, second bag, tie it tight, trash.

As far as de-skunking: the above mentioned recipe: quart 3% peroxide, quarter cup baking soda and a squirt of dish soap works as advertised. Best if dog is wet already, be careful around the eyes, and the white's are whiter and the browns become red...... lol.

FWIW, my farm manager's labs are skunk killing machines, and the eau d'skunk doesn't seem to stick to them. Not sure why, but they have stretched quite a few without lessening their desire for more, and can't smell it on them the day after.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
It works way better than the old tomato juice trick, or just using dawn or any other soap.

Had a couple of dogs get skunked in SoCal, in the burbs, right outside the back bedroom. All the windows in the house were wide open as it was summer and a nice cool evening. They had heard something, ran out the patio door and around the side of the house before anyone could call them back.

Nasty nasty nasty, house was screwed for a couple of weeks. Dog got the peroxide etc bath and were OK in a little while, the house couldn't be bathed dammit.

I've got a tube trap out for a squirrel right now and hope as skunk doesn't mess with it.

hoo-boy, that's almost as bad as letting a skunked dog in the surburban...... That went over super well with the little lady. wink

We catch a few skunks in our dog proof coon traps. That's why 22 shorts were invented.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's crazy about those labs. The dogs involved in our little stinky house escapade were lab mixes with good thick coats. You COULD smell it on them for sure!

I dread the day one of the whippets gets away from us and finds a skunk while we're out in the car. Will probably happen when it's at/below freezing too.

We sometimes have to shut our windows here, just because Pepe LePeu is out and about in the yard somewhere. AND put the lid on the dog door too!

I may have to look into some single shot .22 and a box of shorts. Don't think my semi's are set up for them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My labs never seemed bothered by the skunk and it didn't affect their noses, they just keep on hunting.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sheesh....it's a bit of skunk. It's not covid or something really scary.

Dogs are supposed to smell.

Frigging city people....sheesh.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sheesh....it's a bit of skunk. It's not covid or something really scary.

Dogs are supposed to smell.

Frigging city people....sheesh.
Dude,

dogs ARE supposed to smell..................................................

Like dogs...........................................................

not like dead salmon, deer pee and poop, or cow scheidt, or worse human crap they found at the pull out on the roadside where you let them out for a pee break.

and certainly not 'sposed to smell like a skunk......................any more than a skunk is sposed to smell like a dog.

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Dogs suck. Get a cat and be happy.
Yep, cats are good target practice.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's crazy about those labs. The dogs involved in our little stinky house escapade were lab mixes with good thick coats. You COULD smell it on them for sure!

I dread the day one of the whippets gets away from us and finds a skunk while we're out in the car. Will probably happen when it's at/below freezing too.

We sometimes have to shut our windows here, just because Pepe LePeu is out and about in the yard somewhere. AND put the lid on the dog door too!

I may have to look into some single shot .22 and a box of shorts. Don't think my semi's are set up for them.
1 in the chamber and hand eject it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I'm lazy I guess and I'm looking for an excuse for either a single shot or a revolver!

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad tells the story of the time he and his Dad were soon hunting.
Dad had his little Black and White hole dog along.

Pap was walking along the edge of the woods, and saw what he thought
was a skunk running towards him, it was the dog. He took off running
through the weeds to get away, and tripped over a real skunk.
He got a piss shower!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I'm lazy I guess and I'm looking for an excuse for either a single shot or a revolver!
I get that.

Maybe find a bolt action repeater??

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Would love to have had one of my friend's folks' slide action Remingtons or Winchesters. But probably out of my price range now that collectors like them.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.