Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I use a Lamson 8-9 for saltwater in Arnhem Land, a cheap graphite or two for a 5-6 saltwater local estuary rod, a 1980s ABU magnesium and a Hardy Featherweight for a 4-5 freshwater. They serve me well.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My favorite Atlantic Salmon fly fishing reel is a Bogdan, made by hand by Stanley Bogdan himself. Considered as one of the best fly fishing reels in the world.

Second favorite is an Orvis Mach VI

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/12/22.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started fly fishing in about 1980... with the Martin "outfit" from the local "got a little bit of everything" store. Cheap was an understatement... That reel (and subsequent replacements of the same contraption) was an adequate place to store line, but it would occasionally catch the fly line in the gap between the spool and the frame. Extremely irritating, and because of the damage to the fly line, and my pre-pubescent line to tippet tying skills, it sometimes looked like I had a green bird's nest as a strike indicator.

I've had several versions of "affordable" reels since, and the tolerances seem much better, but I must strip pretty hard, because I've eaten several plastic clickers in my casting experience. That's a factor that may make me lean towards the more expensive.

I've bought every single clockspring reel I've found at yard sales... for under $5, and I love those old things... although I did blow one out recently by getting a little too far out there without relieving the spring. (But I was WAY out there!) I have a dozen of them at least.

I'm not sure how it happened, they certainly didn't get it from me... but my two outdoorsie sons are hoidy toidy brand name brand name snobs! Not just in outdoor gear, but in many other things. They can't afford the $300 reels, but they are buying the 70-100 units. (I just scored a floor model off ebay for half price, just to rub it in on them!) But I must admit, they've got some gear that's a pleasure to play with!

My opinion... Cheap = $30-50 retail, and entirely adequate. Expensive... well, if I can get it for almost nothing to half its value from an estate sale... hey!

No yard sale left uncombed!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have.a St Croix Pro-Graphite flyrod (8.5 foot, 6-7 wt, 2-piece) with a USA-made Pflueger 1495 Medalist as my smallmouth rig.

I sometimes think about "moving up" from my bought-used $10 reel, but then I ask, " Why? What hasn't it done that I have asked it to do? ". Ok, it's not the lightest but it keeps on going. I even bought an external rim spool for it 20 years ago to palm drag- if needed. A determined 3 lb+ smallie will take out some line with it. The original factory drag system has helped (and worked just fine) on many runs for over 25 years.. (tidbit: my most effective smallmouth fly/streamer? White /Polar Muddler Minnor)

All in all, my 1495 Medalistis like the Energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going, and doing its job.

I might try a newer reel if my 1495 Medalist ever wears out...in 30+ years???

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just bought a TFO NXT Black Label 1 reel for the 7 1/2 ft 3 wt cheesy got me for Chrismas. The more I think about it the more I think I'll play musical chairs with my old St Croix Imperial 4 wt. It has carried a small spool Cabelas Drake 1 reel for the 20 years I've had it and I'm thinking the NXT would be a better fit on that rod. It's doubtful the little 3 wt will need the drag used much if at all since it will be used for local panfish and hopefully western small stream trout.

IC B2

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Some good points

Get close and wack em hard!
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks for posting that ^^^.

Nice to hear his thoughts, without a sales pitch.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by KillerBee
My favorite Atlantic Salmon fly fishing reel is a Bogdan, made by hand by Stanley Bogdan himself. Considered as one of the best fly fishing reels in the world.

KB

I like high end equipment as well, and if I had an extra $5G's laying around, I'd have a Bogdan! Bogdan died several years ago and his son took over the business. Quite a few years ago, there was an awesome sporting goods company called Hunter's Supply. I believe they were in New York. I placed an order, hoping they could fill it in a year or 2. It never happened and I cancelled my order a few years later, just before they started shipping! I believe, at the time, they were like $695. Which was a lot of money at the time.

Here is my big reel that I fish Steelhead and Salmon with. The same company that makes the high quality Regal Vises! These were originally sold through T&T, and used both names on them...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Quite rare today!

Here's what I catch the smaller stuff on...

Then, for you Hardy fans...

And then the minnows on these...

Hope I didn't bore anyone!

Thanx,
Robert

You make a noise..., Mr. Forty-Four makes a noise, and his five little friends run a lot faster than you do!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Spring creek/lake trout rods a good click an Pawl is plenty.

Been looking for an old style ross colorado 0 for a couple years

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Really cool ol reels Dirty_Harry
Thanks for posting pics of them

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son considered being forced to fish a Hardy was child abuse... he grew to dislike the noise and the knuckle bangs! I have about 30-35 of them and kinda enjoy the noise.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thank you, Suh!

You make a noise..., Mr. Forty-Four makes a noise, and his five little friends run a lot faster than you do!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by lostleader
Spring creek/lake trout rods a good click an Pawl is plenty.

For the conditions I fish, a click and pawl is often too much. I like the light weight but the drag is too much for the 1#, sometimes even too much for 2#, tippet I wind up using in late summer. I haven't found a good, comparably light friction drag reel though.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bray I originally used Okuma fly reels for bone fishing. The finish flakes off and the magnesium reel started corroding. The reel seat is attached by screws into the magnesium body. The screws stripped out unless you remove the screws before using them and Locktite the screws. That is why I switched to TFO. According to Dick Brown in "Fly Fishing for Bonefish" page 202 he favors draw-bar cork drags over synthetic drags. I agree but just remember to back off the the drag when storing the TFO reels.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just received a TFO BVK SD III reel. It is machined exceptionally well. Sealed drag that seems very smooth. Hope to use it on salmon soon in Alaska.
I'll give both this reel and my Ross a workout then render an opinion.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry
Originally Posted by KillerBee

KB

I like high end equipment as well, and if I had an extra $5G's laying around, I'd have a Bogdan! Bogdan died several years ago and his son took over the business. Quite a few years ago, there was an awesome sporting goods company called Hunter's Supply. I believe they were in New York. I placed an order, hoping they could fill it in a year or 2. It never happened and I cancelled my order a few years later, just before they started shipping! I believe, at the time, they were like $695. Which was a lot of money at the time.

Here is my big reel that I fish Steelhead and Salmon with. The same company that makes the high quality Regal Vises! These were originally sold through T&T, and used both names on them...

Quite rare today!

Here's what I catch the smaller stuff on...

Then, for you Hardy fans...

And then the minnows on these...

Hope I didn't bore anyone!

Thanx,
Robert

Extraordinary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A huge number of posters here have fished with my gear here in AK... We need drags.

Sealed drags are absolutely needed in salt... a real good idea everywhere.

Very few upper end reels are not to be found in my kit. Riley thought it was child abuse to be forced to fish with a Hardy reel. Too loud, tough on knuckles, and uncool

Ross, including the newest are jokes, IME&O. Burned out drags on the first run on a lightly used reel.

TFO has been a huge, positive surprise. The BVK series (four examples) has been beaten brutally and came out grinning.

Sage, SA, some Hardy are good.

Lamson reels use the same drag, top to bottom models, and they work!

Bauer is a proven reel, period! Hatch is also a solid choice.

Overall, good advice here ^^^

The TFO BVK reels are the steal of the day right now with a great drag with good startup characteristics.

The Sage Spectrum series is too light on drag to be considered viable, IMHO; the new Enforcer is OK.

Never had any problems with the better Ross reels with salmon or steelhead................CLA's, Gunnison's & Momentums; haven't tried any of their new, current stuff, so maybe they are lacking.

Add Galvan to the list of great reels, especially the Torque series; Lamson is also very good for the money & better than it should be.

Bauer & Hatch are solid as is Nautilus , Tibor & Abel if you can afford them............best real I've ever had was an Abel, 2nd best a Tibor.

Talking about Bogdan is a flat out joke as a practical matter.............next to laughable, really.

A good drag on big fish is just a must if you really intend to land fish.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sorry, but I avoid knowingly buying anything made in China. I don't care if it's the best thing ever and comes with a cute Chinese hooker to tie my flies.

I would be interested in any reel that had that feature

Me too!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sorry, but I avoid knowingly buying anything made in China. I don't care if it's the best thing ever and comes with a cute Chinese hooker to tie my flies.

I would be interested in any reel that had that feature

Me too!
Start with Lamson...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TFO is S Korean made in a factory owned and operated by TFO.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.