Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Funny how things are supposedly different but really are pretty much the same. The 6.5 Rem Mag born in 1966 as a short magnum was well ahead of its time, however at that time light weight bullets and speed were the selling points. Quite the opposite when considering today’s components of magazine length, heavy for caliber bullet desire, fast twist barrels and short case designs such as the 6.5 PRC. If only Remington designers had those initiatives and design thoughts when designing the 6.5 Rem Mag, it may have started the phase and desire of todays designs years ago. Case capacity is 68 gr of H20 on the 6.5 Rem Mag; the 6.5 PRC has 67.6 gr H20. Obviously powder development has played a role as well. Just as you have pointed out regarding the 270 Win, the 6.5 Rem Mag was in direct competition with the 270 Win, same as the 6.5 PRC is today. There must be something awfully good about the 270 Win.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think the 6.5 Mag could have flourished the way
The Creed and PRC have.

Timing is everything.

Velocity was everything then. Even the Creed suffered at first from its
velocity numbers. Many still dont understand that the BC can overcome
a velocity deficit.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Being born in 1966 myself I always had a love of the 6.5 Rem Mag as a kid -- By the time I was old enough to start hunting it was on it's way out so I opted for a 264 Win Magnum. Loved that rifle but "Rifle Looney-ism" took over and have chased all over for different cartridges over the years -- and have come to love the old 270 WCF as just a classic great rifle for what I want to do.

But right now I feel the call of 6.5 PRC ... being in essence of short action 270 with sleeker bullets at the same weights .. and it is ALSO in essence the 6.5 Rem Mag in a better package (Twist, bullets, etc).

I am in the process of buying a Mauser M18 in 6.5 PRC and then going to see about finding the perfect lightweight 6.5 PRC. The APR rifle linked to here is very tempting as is the Seekins Element. The Mauser package seems to be a good place to start.

Last edited by elkrazy; 07/04/22. Reason: Typo
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Have been away at the Lake for a few days, came back and glad to find this thread grew some legs. The small lake here in West TX (Lake Alan Henry) was very crowded with boaters and jet ski'ers, as expected, and I was very pleased to note that approximately 80% of boaters were flying either the "Let's Go Brandon" flag, or the more in your face "F&%k Joe Biden" flag.

The reason I laid it out in my OP is simple.....the 3 were easily and quickly available, at or under $1k, and were reported to be exceptionally accurate as anything costing at least twice as much. I also wanted one with a threaded barrel, as I've become a lover of hunting/shooting suppressed. I know Tikkas are, as I've had about 8 of them since 1998. If I were at all interested in spending $3k I would have said so. Not because I can't, but I don't even know if I'll like the cartridge. Bullet testing on hogs will determine how much I like how it kills. I'm 99.9% certain that won't be an issue.

A few years ago I began culling the unused rifles in my safe. I don't, and have never bought rifles to display, store, or impress others. They are simply tools to me. I had several old Sako's, Steyr's, etc that were sold. I still have a couple of customs, one in 7mag, the other 7mm08. I don't really desire any more. If I fall in love with the PRC, I'll likely go the Seekins route, or will likely just keep the Tikka as I highly anticipate it to be another Tikka tack driver.

Anyway, I bought Nathan's Tikka Roughtech here. Appreciate all the contributions here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck JG.

Can't fault your choice, love the Tikkas I have.
Hard to combine weight, trigger, accuracy, smoothness, for the $$$.

One thing about them. They lock the bolt and firing pin.

As a kid everything locked the bolt, and it seemed dumb and dangerous.
Bought one of the first SS 700s, no bolt lock! I was happy.
Until about the 3rd time the bolt either came open or I found it abhout to.
Got a M7, same crap.

Now, the locked bolt isn't just a thing. It is a major feature sought out.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Nothing wrong with a Tikka.. I have two.. 308 and 6.5x55.. both were 1" or better with factory ammo out of the box... 1/2" with loads.

I stumbled upon a 6.5 PRC in a BACO Winchester Extreme Weather when Grice was clearing out the 1st Gen (no muzzle break). It shoots Hornady precision Hunter ammo (143 ELD-X) so well, I haven't bothered to set up for reloading.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by frogman43
Well, I am thoroughly enjoying the Kelbly's Koda rifle in 6.5 PRC that I bought from them.

You'd be hard pressed to put together a better rifle for the money in my opinion.......

Frog----OUT!

I'm sure it's extremely nice. Wondering how much better it shoots than a Tikka though? I shoot with a lot of guys that run full on customs and I'll say my pretty much bone stock Tikka CTR shoots with the best of them. Yeah, I tinker and fine tune the bedding, but that's about it. I'm talking guys running 28"+ long heavy barrels and custom actions like Stiller, GAP, Bighorn, Defiance, and some others I can't think of right now. Most of those rifles are set up like a PRS match rifle and weigh 18+ pounds. Consistently though, the CTR holds its own and it is a pretty skinny barrel by comparison.. I think JG is wanting a good factory rifle, but I can't speak for him. Just wondering though, how much did your dollar really get you???

Sometimes it ain't all about the accuracy. My Tikka's were accurate as hell, but mostly I wanted other things in my hunting rifles they don't have whistle

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Tikka Roughtech PRC in hand, nice rifle for sure.

I haven't changed out a Tikka recoil pad since replacing the one on my Tikka 695 7mag. Which Limbsaver are you guys using on the T3X?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Tikka Roughtech PRC in hand, nice rifle for sure.

I haven't changed out a Tikka recoil pad since replacing the one on my Tikka 695 7mag. Which Limbsaver are you guys using on the T3X?

This doesn't answer your question, but aren't the T3X supposed to be a good upgrade from the T3? I just run them, however the Limbsaver will probably help a bit with recoil? Pharmy would know. He replaces his.. Cool you bought that rifle. I like that stock so much that I bought one on ebay. Lucked out and snagged one for $79.00 and it is NIB. I'm hoping your new rifle shoots like a house afire. Keep us posted!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Have been away at the Lake for a few days, came back and glad to find this thread grew some legs. The small lake here in West TX (Lake Alan Henry) was very crowded with boaters and jet ski'ers, as expected, and I was very pleased to note that approximately 80% of boaters were flying either the "Let's Go Brandon" flag, or the more in your face "F&%k Joe Biden" flag.

The reason I laid it out in my OP is simple.....the 3 were easily and quickly available, at or under $1k, and were reported to be exceptionally accurate as anything costing at least twice as much. I also wanted one with a threaded barrel, as I've become a lover of hunting/shooting suppressed. I know Tikkas are, as I've had about 8 of them since 1998. If I were at all interested in spending $3k I would have said so. Not because I can't, but I don't even know if I'll like the cartridge. Bullet testing on hogs will determine how much I like how it kills. I'm 99.9% certain that won't be an issue.

A few years ago I began culling the unused rifles in my safe. I don't, and have never bought rifles to display, store, or impress others. They are simply tools to me. I had several old Sako's, Steyr's, etc that were sold. I still have a couple of customs, one in 7mag, the other 7mm08. I don't really desire any more. If I fall in love with the PRC, I'll likely go the Seekins route, or will likely just keep the Tikka as I highly anticipate it to be another Tikka tack driver.

Anyway, I bought Nathan's Tikka Roughtech here. Appreciate all the contributions here.

I can't imagine that you won't like the 6.5 PRC, especially if you hand load. Even with my slaughtered shooting shoulder, recoil is very manageable. It's much like the Creed in that it's accurate with damn near any load.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Scrubbed the brand new bore, JB'd, then the good stuff....Dyna Tec Bore Coat. Will probably bed the lug just because. Mount up a reliable Tract Toric 3-15x, start off with Norma factory 143gr match ammo to see what I've got. On to load development when it cools off some.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
NEVER !

f u c k commie Steve wHorenady's stolen catridge anyway .....

where were all the wild eyed fanatics when the original cartridge was on the scene years ago ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks good JG. I’m betting a buck that you’re not likely to run into any issues getting it to shoot well.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like the 6.5 prc. It's practical cartridge evolution, blending the compact short action of a 260 rem or 7mm-08 and the 270 win/280 rem powder capacity, which is plenty.

With wsm mag boxes, you can fit 4 cartridges under an empty chamber.

No rebated rims or belts or excessively sharp shoulders, the 6.5 prc/300 rcm/338 rcm family of cartridges feed wonderfully, even in CRF actions.

Though supplies are short, with Lapua making 6.5 prc brass, the entirety of the package is now legit.

I suspect the 6.5 PRC will become a new standard. It's already gaining popularity that's hard to ignore.......

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
525 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.