Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17375579 06/28/22
A
OP Offline
A
Looking out to get my first 1911, but i am looking for the perfect one btw Colt and Sig
Pls i need some advice buddies

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If those 2 - if you're not a 1911 superfan, Sig. I'm generally prefer the original, internal extractor tho so I'd go Colt and deal with the other issues - whatever they may be.

If open to others - Springfield Armory or Ruger would get a look - if not going upper end like Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk or Wesson. If going high end, Heirloom Precision or Chambers.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have a few 1911s, when I carry one it's the Colt. Two of the others are custom-built, the Para double stack 40, is just too heavy.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a Ruger and it was a good gun.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I now own a Sig. Actually miss my Kimber a bit (blasphemy I know). If shopping would include a look at Springfield nor shy away from the Ruger which surprised me. Plenty of great options. Depemnds on where you sand on MIM parts etc..

One thing. My Sig is a series 80 - not sure thy all are -and now I know why folks prefer the 70. Trigger is light and very nice but not as crisp. The Kimber broke like glass ( although not a series 70 in true sense)

I didn't realize the Sig was an 80 when I swapped my Kimber carry for the full size two tone Sig. I disassembled to solve a rattle with the grip safety and lo and behold some little piece or two falls out.

Still- the Sig has great easily adjustable sights once you figure out how. Very accurate.

Last edited by kenjs1; 06/29/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In that price range, you should look at the Springfield Armory line of 1911 pistols.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure wish Springfield had not given all that money to anti-gun politicians and thrown gun owners under the bus...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sure wish Springfield had not given all that money to anti-gun politicians and thrown gun owners under the bus...

Didn't really happen like that.

A lobbyist primarily representing SA and RRA cut a deal for immunity for manufacturers on a new Illinois law aimed at dealers in return for the lobbyist's non opposition to the law.

Reece (SA) and Larson (RRA) had their noses rubbed pretty hard into the fact that they were responsible for lobbyists operating on their behalf. The law passed the legislative process, but was vetoed by the governor. SA and RRA dismantled the lobbyist entity.
Today, I'd put Reece in the top running for financial and political support of Illinois gun rights. I've heard that he is one of the largest single financial backers of the ISRA. Dealers who took everything made by SA off the shelves and returned it to distributors are now proudly and profitably selling SA again.

I don't know Dennis Reece, and have never met him that I recall. Did do some business with his father, who started the company, and always felt like I was dealing with a solid guy. From what I hear, the company existed from before I did business with the old man. I don't know about that. What I remember is an old farmhouse filled with surplus rifles.

Never hard as much about or from Larson of RRA. Got the impression that she and they were lesser players in the deal.

Anyway, I don't know exactly how lobbyist dealings go. I guess I imagine it to be kind of like having teenage kids that can do some rough things to the family name. Coupla times I wished i coulda dismantled a kid.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you are prone to sell guns, get the Colt for sure.

Pride of ownership. Colt again.

Sig is a good pistol.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have both. Both really nice 1911"s imo can't go wrong either way. If I had to pick just one it would be the Sig.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the Colt price range,
If you don't get the Ponies on your One 1911,
You will regret it.

Have a Springfield RO, great gun, cheaper than a Colt.

Still want one with the Ponies!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Stay away from the sigs, lots of issues with them. Ever see one of the top end smiths use as a sig a base gun? No and there is a reason for that. Colt you get the name, that’s about it and you pay for it.

The best out the box 1911 today is a Dan Wesson, by far imho, they cost a little more but are specd nice, put together well and run right.

Next down is an Springfield.

Spence

Last edited by spence1875; 07/04/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Didn't really happen like that.

A lobbyist primarily representing SA and RRA cut a deal for immunity for manufacturers on a new Illinois law aimed at dealers in return for the lobbyist's non opposition to the law.

Reece (SA) and Larson (RRA) had their noses rubbed pretty hard into the fact that they were responsible for lobbyists operating on their behalf. The law passed the legislative process, but was vetoed by the governor. SA and RRA dismantled the lobbyist entity.
Today, I'd put Reece in the top running for financial and political support of Illinois gun rights. I've heard that he is one of the largest single financial backers of the ISRA. Dealers who took everything made by SA off the shelves and returned it to distributors are now proudly and profitably selling SA again.

I don't know Dennis Reece, and have never met him that I recall. Did do some business with his father, who started the company, and always felt like I was dealing with a solid guy. From what I hear, the company existed from before I did business with the old man. I don't know about that. What I remember is an old farmhouse filled with surplus rifles.

Never hard as much about or from Larson of RRA. Got the impression that she and they were lesser players in the deal.

Anyway, I don't know exactly how lobbyist dealings go. I guess I imagine it to be kind of like having teenage kids that can do some rough things to the family name. Coupla times I wished i coulda dismantled a kid.

Sounds like feel-good stuff, but from their beginning they co-opted the history of the real Springfield Armory to look like they were/are part of it, paid anti-2A politicians to do positive things which they never did, and sold out to those politicians to not fight over 2A limits in exchange for a tax break.

I sold off my SA (a Range Officer 1911) and RRA (ARs and a couple older pistols) guns and refuse to own them. My Range Officer had very little time on it and a poster got it this winter for $600... I am not ever going to forgive or forget. There are too many other choices. A Les Baer replaced the Springfield.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For me it's a 1911 Colt, but a question you should ask yourself "Do I really want a 45 ??"

I have several Colt 1911's and find myself shooting 9mm's and 38Super way more often than the 45's.
my friends that I shoot with like a 1911 in a 40S&W and a long slide 6" 10mm (Dan Wesson Bruin).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Springfield Armory Ronin or Operator.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another vote for Dan Wesson. I have a DW PM9 and it's a great pistol, well made and very accurate. I had a few minor modifications done, and afterwards my gunsmith wanted me to let him know if I ever sold it. It's a 9mm, so probably not what you want, but the quality is there and of course they make 1911's in other calibers.

I also have a Wilson CQB and the Dan Wesson is about as nice for a lot less money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Teal
If those 2 - if you're not a 1911 superfan, Sig. I'm generally prefer the original, internal extractor tho so I'd go Colt and deal with the other issues - whatever they may be.

If open to others - Springfield Armory or Ruger would get a look - if not going upper end like Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk or Wesson. If going high end, Heirloom Precision or Chambers.

Same here. I don’t care for the external extractor on the Sig 1911’s. I’m sure they probably work well, but I prefer the traditional extractor, too.

I have Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields.
I prefer my Springfields and Kimbers over my Colts.

And if you wanna go with a high end 1911, you won’t get any more bang for your buck than Les Baer. And a more reliable or accurate 1911, either, in my experience.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I like my Sig tac-ops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by armdealer
Looking out to get my first 1911, but i am looking for the perfect one btw Colt and Sig
Pls i need some advice buddies
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have one of each, both .45 ACP. The Sig is an STX, the Colt is a ‘90’s Combat Elite. I’ve never had a major problem with either although I did have to put a new slide lock in the Colt. The bottom of the part that the follower pushes on wore or broke off so it wouldn’t go into slide lock when the mag emptied. Never had any problem with the Sig. The Sig has a much better trigger and is more accurate. The Colt is going down the road to (partially) fund a new sporting clays gun.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.