Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by CRS
If memory serves, I could not get Barnes X or XLC to shoot. Have never used any 130gr Sierra or Speer.

I had those XLC's and never got them to shoot well either. The 130 Sierra Pro Hunter shoots lights out in three M700s with RL22. VERY accurate bullet.

One of the problems with X-Bullets back then was variations in the copper they were made from. Randy Brooks told me this himself, along with several other gun writers. The XLC coating helped--sometimes. The first Barnes Xs that I got to shoot well, consistently, were 100-grain .25-caliber XLCs from a NULA .257 Roberts Ackley Improved I had for a while. They averaged well under an inch in that rifle, but never got as consistent results from other XLCs.

But shortly after that Randy was able to buy consistent copper, and I started finding uncoated X-Bullets shooting much better. Used them quite a bit in both a very accurate 6.5x55 Ruger Mark II and a couple of 9.3mm rifles, with excellent accuracy and good results on game. However, that didn't solve the copper-fouling problem, and the barrels had to be decoppered fairly frequently to keep shooting well. The TSX solved that problem....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by CRS
If memory serves, I could not get Barnes X or XLC to shoot. Have never used any 130gr Sierra or Speer.

I had those XLC's and never got them to shoot well either. The 130 Sierra Pro Hunter shoots lights out in three M700s with RL22. VERY accurate bullet.

One of the problems with X-Bullets back then was variations in the copper they were made from. Randy Brooks told me this himself, along with several other gun writers. The XLC coating helped--sometimes. The first Barnes Xs that I got to shoot well, consistently, were 100-grain .25-caliber XLCs from a NULA .257 Roberts Ackley Improved I had for a while. They averaged well under an inch in that rifle, but never got as consistent results from other XLCs.

But shortly after that Randy was able to buy consistent copper, and I started finding uncoated X-Bullets shooting much better. Used them quite a bit in both a very accurate 6.5x55 Ruger Mark II and a couple of 9.3mm rifles, with excellent accuracy and good results on game. However, that didn't solve the copper-fouling problem, and the barrels had to be decoppered fairly frequently to keep shooting well. The TSX solved that problem....

I gave up and ended up selling the rest of the XLC's I had. Ironically I picked up a bunch of the .348 200 grain X bullets and they shot pretty well in my Browning. I really didn't get too many more Barnes (other than some 225 TSX's) until the TTSX.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've pretty much used a 130gr Sierra Game King or a 130gr Nosler Partition. With IMR-4831, RL-19, or RL-22 powder.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
one of the problems with X-Bullets back then was variations in the copper they were made from. Randy Brooks told me this himself, along with several other gun writers. But shortly after that Randy was able to buy consistent copper, and I started finding uncoated X-Bullets shooting much better.

Pretty sure the owner of Swift bullets echoed the same thoughts with their all copper jackets.

We deal in lead, friend.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by super T
I've loaded for at least ten .270's over the years and it's my experience that 130 grain Nosler BT's, Sierra's, and Hornady's all are great. However, it is also my experience that in almost every rifle I got better overall accuracy with 150-grain bullets.

Agree 100% with the 150 grainers and I have had 270s as bench style guns. Partitions seem best in 150 grain and 160 in 7mm and 200 in 30. I think it has something to with the position of the partition. I once shot a 15 shot 1/2" group with the 270 using 5 ballistic tips, 5 solid base and 5 partition. I have never done anything like that with 130s and the partition lets things down.

But 130 grain Hornadys are very good.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started shooting a bdl 270 in 1976 and have never shot 130 grain bullet in any of my many 270 rifles. 140 hornady interlock has always been my favorite deer and bear bullet.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I Have a Remington 700 classic wood stock that shoots the 140g nosler ballistic tips into a ragged hole at 100 yards. Gun is bedded, bbl free floated, trigger tuned, 4x14 Leupold.

Win brass, win primer, 58g of H4831, bullet is seated .010 off the lands.

For many years I shot the 130g Nosler Ballistic tips with 58g of R#22 with a fed 210, uncanny accuracy. Hornady and Sierra sp were also used.

Having said all of this, the 110g Barnes ttsx with 58g of Win 760 or 57.5g of R#17 is 1/2" or slightly less with .050 bullet jump from the lands. This load is a crowd pleaser!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just checked the handload chart for my chapter on the .270 Winchester in my upcoming book, GUN GACK IV: The Little Book of Rifle Handloads that Work.

It consists of handloads that have shot well in more than one rifle of the same chambering over the decades. If I would have depended on my memory, would have said 150-grain bullets generally shoot better in the .270 and than 130s. But have loaded for 15 .270s and found that wasn't true: 130s were just as accurate, on average.

Just turned the chapters and charts into Eileen, so she could get started on laying the book out for publication--so we're on schedule to get it out by around October 1st, depending on how quickly the printer can get it done. There have been slight difficulties due to paper availability lately.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Just checked the handload chart for my chapter on the .270 Winchester in my upcoming book, GUN GACK IV: The Little Book of Rifle Handloads that Work.

It consists of handloads that have shot well in more than one rifle of the same chambering over the decades. If I would have depended on my memory, would have said 150-grain bullets generally shoot better in the .270 and than 130s. But have loaded for 15 .270s and found that wasn't true: 130s were just as accurate, on average.

Just turned the chapters and charts into Eileen, so she could get started on laying the book out for publication--so we're on schedule to get it out by around October 1st, depending on how quickly the printer can get it done. There have been slight difficulties due to paper availability lately.

Can't wait!

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mine shoots Sierra 130 grain Gamekings really well.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thank you all for sharing. As I look back on the numerous posts, it sounds like the answer to my original question is NO, there isn't one particular bullet that's been consistently accurate in numerous rifles. Reason for my question is that my Alaskan son and I are considering doing a sheep hunt and I would like to take one of my old .270s, despite knowing that both my rifles and the cartridge is rather inferior to the many new rifles and cartridges. Despite that and having loaded for mine for quite a while, I'd like to do some more load development hoping to find something especially accurate ( as in 1/2-3/4 moa) and want to avoid spending lots of money experimenting. I realize that accuracy is contingent on rifle, loads and the shooter but still want to start with some proven combinations. thanks again.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The “old” 270 isn’t inferior to much. Actually the latest and greatest…the 6.5 PRC pretty much duplicates your ancient 270 within the first 440 yards.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had very good results with the 130 TTSX in many rifles. I prefer H4350, IMR 4831, or R17.

The cheap Federal Hi-Shok 130 factory load always shoots very well. I use that ammo to test new 270 rifles. If your rifle won’t shoot that stuff well (.700” @ 3050) then you have an issue with your rifle.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
I have had very good results with the 130 TTSX in many rifles. I prefer H4350, IMR 4831, or R17.

The cheap Federal Hi-Shok 130 factory load always shoots very well. I use that ammo to test new 270 rifles. If your rifle won’t shoot that stuff well (.700” @ 3050) then you have an issue with your rifle.

.7" with cheap factory ammo kinda takes away the incentive to handload!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I’d like to formally reserve my copy of Gun Gack IV! Can’t wait for my copy to arrive just in time for winter reading season!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will put you on the pre-publication list--and when we actually get copies in stock will PM you that they've arrived. (Somebody already asked if they could pre-pay, but Eileen won't know how much to charge until we get the bill for printing and shipping.)

Thanks,
John

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
MD
Put me down for the second copy off the press. Have enjoyed the others immensely.

GreggH

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Count me in too, please John!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
thank you all for sharing. As I look back on the numerous posts, it sounds like the answer to my original question is NO, there isn't one particular bullet that's been consistently accurate in numerous rifles. Reason for my question is that my Alaskan son and I are considering doing a sheep hunt and I would like to take one of my old .270s, despite knowing that both my rifles and the cartridge is rather inferior to the many new rifles and cartridges. Despite that and having loaded for mine for quite a while, I'd like to do some more load development hoping to find something especially accurate ( as in 1/2-3/4 moa) and want to avoid spending lots of money experimenting. I realize that accuracy is contingent on rifle, loads and the shooter but still want to start with some proven combinations. thanks again.

Start with 130 grain Hornady and Ballistic would be my second choice to first try, 4350 for powder and standard primers. If bedding of the rilfe is so so or just factory rifle then I would first use 4831 powder.

There are 3 Hornady that have been my first choice to test gun. 130 in 270, 180 in 300 Winchester and 300 round nose in 375 H&H.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
John,

I don't know if it would be easier for you, but sounds like you may need to start a sign up page. I'm in.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 72 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.