Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have hunted bobs my whole life, took Dr. And Lawyers hunting as a kid, walked the snott out of them and there high dollar pointers, the old guy’s that have hunted bobs are dying off, you sure don’t see young guys out there longer than a day , maybe two, we used to hunt them for weeks. I believe nothing more fun than watching dogs, and busting coveys of bob’s with a 1100.🤠

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We still have lots of turkeys in this country.

Same here, Bob. Probably more Turkey than quail.

We had tons of both blue or “scaled” quail and Bob whites here on the Ranch when I was a kid.

Haven’t seen a blue in years. Occasionally see a bob white.

The quail population start to decline here when we became inundated with wild hogs.

Well we don't have any wild hogs here either. But we have foxes and coyotes.

And a plethora of bobcats and hawks and raccoons and skunks and bulldozed hedgerows and weed free corn fields and a desert of fescue (here) and and….

Yep. But probably the modern practice of fence to fence crop planting and the destruction of “hedge rows” or the weedy areas for cover and food, have done more damage to quail populations than anything else. And as for as predators, the birds of prey, like hawks, probably kill more quail than other predators.

Hogs and fire ants are hell on nests, eggs, and chicks.

Nesting cover is our limiting factor in SW GA. We have all the food they can eat. Son and I have worked extremely hard trapping out nest predators for a few years and it has made a difference. Got plenty of pics of turkey hens with 10-12 poults each! No yotes, foxes, coons or possums ruining their day. Piggies shot on sight too of course.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Haven’t had any quail in a long long time .
Last I had was a disaster .
25-30 years ago
Not sure I got the name of the restaurant right , but I believe it was Jerry Clowers off I-40 in Tennessee. Dropped in there figuring it would be my kind of food .
Ah hah ! Quail on the menu .
Picturing a plump little tasty bird .
Setting there and waitress brings out this pancake looking critter , something a 18 wheeler ran over on the interstate .
I explained I had ordered quail .
Waitress smiled and says that’s your quail .
I told her didn’t look like no damned quail I had ever seen .
She knew she had herself a true hick and smiled and asked expecting a plump bird ?
Yeah , I ain’t seen no quail like this .
She explained it was shrink wrapped for shipping .
Ok , commenced to trying to eat this shoe soul , and that was how tough it was .
Veggies sucked too .
Beer was cold 😀

Last edited by Kenneth66; 07/04/22.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Ww have a few small coveys on our lease. You don’t see then very often but e still hear them off and on.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Used to be a lot of them noeth of 60 back in the 70's and 80's. Not so much anymore..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
We got em here in SW GA. But I live in plantation country so it’s a given. To hunt truly wild birds is an experience I’ll never forget. The amount the owners spend on habitat and management, on a per bird basis, is classified. You wouldn’t believe it anyway. We have, among others, Robert Woodruff’s Ichuway Plantatiion (Coca Cola’s founder), Nilo (Olin Winchester) Plantation, Nonami (Ted Turner) Plantation. Mr Woodruff had his accountant figure his annual cost per bird harvested just for kicks. It blew him away. His accountant asked him what he was going to do now that he knew how much each bird cost. He told him he wasn’t changing a thing…keep hunting.

You're in a great place! Enjoy them.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

#1 getting hunters loaded up for a evening Quail hunt.

#2 back up buggy with spare dogs

#3 out riders

#4 Pointer at work

We run 3 gun trucks each with 10 dogs, 2 out riders with each truck, driver and dog handler, we average 10 coveys per hunt, each truck goes out morning and evening, we hunt Quail from Oct1 to Feb 28, Quail hunting is a big part of what we do. Rio7

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We used to have three coveys in our yard. I haven’t seen or heard a quail in more than 20 years on our place . Habitat is better now than it was then. Don’t know what it is but they are gone. Might be fire ants, hogs, and other predators. But there would be some. There are just none. We have clearcuts galore. We have a little bit more than 1000 acres we don’t even bush hog anymore. It’s all pine trees, thickets, and hardwoods. Much of it is stereotypical southeastern Bob White habitat. And not one damned bird on it anywhere.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/04/22.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been running the woods at night and bumped into a covey of quail. Being startled is an understatement.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a time when I could hear quail whistling in every direction here on my farm. There were always several coveys using here, but I have not seen or heard a quail in the past 5-6 years. They are still around in parts of the area, and I know a couple of guys who have dogs and hunt them with a decent degree of success. I have no idea why they disappeared from my place, as I didn't hunt them. I'm guessing it was the predators.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would rather quail hunt than deer hunt. Ever year is different on population. And most die out even if you don’t hunt them.
Feral cats, road runners, hogs all are hard on ground nesting birds. But habitat destruction is their worst enemy.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
There were plenty of quail here in southern Indiana when I was a kid.
The blizzard of 78 hit them hard but they rebounded pretty well in my area in the 80’s.
They started disappearing in the 90’s and for years I never saw any even when rabbit hunting. No fire ants or hogs here.
As of the last five years I’ve seen coveys where I haven’t seen any in 15 years or better.
I now know where five coveys are so things are looking better.
If the winter gets bad me and the boys will put cracked corn out where a couple of the coveys hang out.
There’s a lot of factors contributing to their decline. Destruction of cover is a big one and predators also but man is their biggest enemy around here.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
An uncle in south central KY has worked for years trying to get coveys going on several farms with very little success. He has some land close to my home town in CREP and it still won’t hold birds. I’m thinking predators are his problem on that farm. He has tried call back boxes planting birds. Nothing seems to work for him.

From 2007-2019 we owned about 57 acres in some game and ag rich country. About 35 acres were timber. I kept most of the open area on the front side of the property brushy. I’d cut it back to keep the saplings down. There were a couple of covey in the area and every year I’d see them with their young around August. We didn’t hunt them and I’d kill cats that is saw loitering.

In 17 we timbered the timbered the 35 acres and tue property began to hold more game. I did my best to maintain habitat. It seems like you need native birds to spread to be really successful. That and predator management.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Wild or stray house cats are quail killers.

We used to have 2 to 3 coveys and now we are down to 2 quail. Cannot convince the home owners that the stray house cat they have are killing the quail.

I used to have coyotes out back and the home owners do not want them around and shoot them (in city limits). The coyotes were helping keep the cat, jack rabbit and cottontail population down. With out the coyotes the 3 are running amuck.
Live traps are your friend. Check em about 4 in the morning and if ol puss is in there a pellet gun to the brain then puss in a trash bag.

Help put up missing signs and look a little for the lost kitty.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RIO7
House cat is dead meat here, shoot on sight, we have a lot of Quail, some years more some years less, depends on how much rain we get, we manage about 20,000 acres just for Quail hunting, food, water, cover, predator control, are very important to wild Quail. Rio7
Where in S, TX are you Rio?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No Mule pulled wagon? Got to experience that a couple times in Georgia....I would have been happy just to have sat up there and watched.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some guy on You tube videos some impressive hunts in Oklahoma...

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Supposed soil conservation programs involving deep ditch drainage ditches + modern "clean harvest" farming + commercial pine planting has caused a tremendous loss of habitat - in addition natural open long-leaf pinelands have been replaced with over-crowded, improved-seedling loblolly pine stands which not only has hurt quail, but also the gopher tortoise and eastern diamondback rattlesnakes. I realize that most don't care about the turtles and snakes but we've screwed around with the natural order of things so much, that much of these things will never come back.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I knew where all the coveys hung out. Now, none to be found. The coyote and feral cats are our biggest nemesis. Union county iowa. I hear there are a few there.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Rio,

What’s it cost to go on a hunt like that? I probably can’t afford it but I’d like to try it.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.