Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Hoping GW feels inclined to post up his absolutely stellar set of Lambs in this thread. I never tire of seeing them

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys kill me with all this searching for the best blade geometry. They all work and some work a little better at some chores than others. The biggest difference I see is the sharpness you start with and then it comes down to how much processing you intent to complete before touching up. If you're field dressing and then bringing out the entire carcass than just about anything will work. Heck my brother field dressed a white tail with a hunk of glass because he had forgot his knife. Don't get me wrong, I love custom knives, I own a bunch, and I use them all and they all work just great, some a little better at some tasks than others. Just like some steels hold an edge longer and some are easier to sharpen.

I complete the majority of my skinning with my thumb. I make my hide cuts with a disposable hooked carpet cutting blade.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boise, you aren't wrong and I said as much earlier. But that sure takes the fun outta things when you throw a blanket over it like that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Boise,
Ok. If anything will work and that's all that's required, then why not just go hunting with a rock? I know from your previous posts you have a nice collection of knives.
Yes, almost any knife will 'work', even a piece of glass. Ok. I've done a couple of antelope with a Swiss Army knife.. It was okay.
I find a lot of pleasure in researching the different blade shapes, steel types, geometry and trying them out, seeing what works best for me and the critters I hunt. Sure a box cutter or a safety razor 'will work', but that's not going to give me any pleasure.
Whoopi Goldberg is arguably female .. G*d forbid, it would 'work' if that's all you want it to do. I'm real happy to have options.

S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I enjoy the research of outdoor equipment leading up to a purchase more than the purchase itself. Seeking knowledge and understanding of why something may work better than another similar item is a worthy pursuit in my mind. It’s why I am a teacher. Learning in and of itself is a noble pursuit. Others may think such questions are wasting their time. That’s ok. Each time you read someone’s post you learn. Some you learn more from than others. I appreciate them all.

Last edited by sns2; 07/05/22.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've taken deer from field to freezer with an old carbon steel Case folding hunter and it was no great hindrance. You guys that think you need the ultimate or that such a thing even exists are a hoot.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Next time rub a rusty old teaspoon on a rock until you have "an edge" you're really proud of and then have at 'er!

Happy hunting! laugh crazy

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by longarm
Next time rub a rusty old teaspoon on a rock until you have "an edge" you're really proud of and then have at 'er!

That old Case went through gutting, skinning, quartering, deboning and butchering without resharpening. I'd like to see you do that with a spoon.

S
sns2 Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've taken deer from field to freezer with an old carbon steel Case folding hunter and it was no great hindrance. You guys that think you need the ultimate or that such a thing even exists are a hoot.

I’m in Canada, so after currency exchange and shipping, I’m pushing $500 for one of these knives. If that means I can get something that is considered “ultimate” for 5 bills, that’s a no brainer is it not?

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

That old Case went through gutting, skinning, quartering, deboning and butchering without resharpening. I'd like to see you do that with a spoon.

I think you missed my point, but it's no biggie. I'm genuinely glad for you that the Case does everything YOU need it to. Congrats. I have absolutely nothing against the brand or you being satisfied with it.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by sns2

I’m in Canada, so after currency exchange and shipping, I’m pushing $500 for one of these knives. If that means I can get something that is considered “ultimate” for 5 bills, that’s a no brainer is it not?

Yes! Customized specifically to you.. the scales, liners, blade length/shape, steel, etc etc
We've all spent a certain amount of $$ on scopes, rifles, reloading equipment, ammo, camo, binoculars, a truck, fuel, ad nauseum. Owning nice knives is a pleasure.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I think you missed my point, but it's no biggie. I'm genuinely glad for you that the Case does everything YOU need it to. Congrats. I have absolutely nothing against the brand or you being satisfied with it.
I have over 100 knives from cheap factory to custom. Been collecting and using them for about 50 years. The old Case does about as well any. I don't believe there is any such thing as the "ultimate". What works best for you, only you can decide through much use of different blade lengths, alloys, profiles and grinds.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
MOGC,
Thanks. He makes a hell of a knife, for sure. Is that coffee burlap on your semi-skinner? Great looking knife.

The more I look at the OP Crotts semi, the more I like it. Is that a hollow grind?

Yes sir, coffee bag burlap. This Slim Hunter may be my favorite from Gene, and to the topic, may be my favorite game knife.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hell ya 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had him build me a pocket skinner to compliment it.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Slim hunter all slicked up

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ain’t easy havin pals.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Judman
Had him build me a pocket skinner to compliment it.

Now that’s a neat little knife!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Damn nice, brother Jud

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell ya, really cool piece. Thanks 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another really cool pattern, absolutely love the feel/design, never used it, bought it directly from gene, it’s a 1 of. H225 with armadilla scales…

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.