Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on the moose tag! I'm new to the 7 SAUM so can't offer advice there. I recently rebarreled a Kimber Classic 325 WSM with a Lilja 1:8 in 7 Saum. All I've shot so far is 180 Scenars with RE26 and it's been sub-MOA throughout load development. I would think any of the load combos discussed above would work fine. Good luck on your hunt...

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray
Congrats on the moose tag! I'm new to the 7 SAUM so can't offer advice there. I recently rebarreled a Kimber Classic 325 WSM with a Lilja 1:8 in 7 Saum. All I've shot so far is 180 Scenars with RE26 and it's been sub-MOA throughout load development. I would think any of the load combos discussed above would work fine. Good luck on your hunt...

That sounds like a sharp rifle! Those 180 Scenars are easy huh?

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not sure if it's the bullets or the barrel, but it's been boringly consistent. Sight in and load work done in one session and 12-15 rounds šŸ˜Ž

I did have my 'smith check/tweak the bedding and gave him dummy rounds to set throating to maximize OAL for the magazine.

Last edited by JGray; 07/14/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep, they were drills in my Mashburn as well. Just easy to get shooting.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mpwolf
lol- don't tempt me. I've long thought that a .338 saum/or maybe Sherman short made alot of sense...

A plain old M700 in 7mag with 160gr NPs would be a lot simpler. smile

IC B2

M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SuperCub
lol- don't tempt me. I've long thought that a .338 saum/or maybe Sherman short made alot of sense...

lol- and where is the fun in that?!?
to throw another twist into the decision, I just nabbed a box of 175 partitionsā€¦

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Don't overthink it. Moose die easy IME ( 20+). Those eastern are quite puny compared to Yukon-Alaska.

.243, 30-30, 270, 30-06, .338 WM, 12 ga slug. Not in any particular order. Gonna try the .260 next if possible.

It's where, not what. They just take awhile with most anything except CNS. BTDT too.

OK- OK - once a spike took 4 250 gr. .338 WM before he went down. 3 if you don't count the knee shot off with the 2nd round. The other 3 exited on the far side of his lungs through basically one hole. Entry wounds were quite un-similar. All were fatal on their own. smile

Last edited by las; 07/19/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

to throw another twist into the decision, I just nabbed a box of 175 partitionsā€¦

I have a BDL 7mag here you can use if you want. Pretty sure I have dies down there as well if needed. smile

M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

I have a BDL 7mag here you can use if you want. Pretty sure I have dies down there as well if needed. smile

you are so helpful!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

you are so helpful!

LOL ..... I'll even top it with a Scopechief 4x if you want. smile

IC B3

M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

you are so helpful!

jeez- that offer is getting tougher and tougher to turn down!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

you are so helpful!

jeez- that offer is getting tougher and tougher to turn down!

Will Weaver R&B tip the scales. smile

M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Lol- it was a bit of a gong show, but got it done about noon on the last day of the five day hunt. I was so swamped with family and work stuff, that I didn't manage to do any load development. In the end, I grabbed the rifle with the 120 TSX load that I've shot forever. That rifle/ammo combo has been rock solid for years, so I figured I was safe. More on the later. The rut really hadn't kicked off on opening day. We saw one good bull for roughly 30 seconds on the first morning, but couldn't get a shot. After another 2 days of scanning clear cuts, we finally figured out that they were in the strip cuts. I finally got a shot on day 4. 40yards. Supported. Air ball. WTF? I was definitly excited, but really? I wrote it off to shooter error, and moved on. Day 5 morning, same thing happens, but this time I was much more confident in my shot. We finally set up a target. At 25m, I'm a full revolution of the M1 elevation turret high. Well, that certainly explains some things! At this point I'm felling pretty stupid, and dejected. Everthing we've seen up until this point has been fleeting, and numbers are way down. Even locals are shooting cows, and I'm not at all confident we'll get another chance. Then, an hour later, there's a decent sized moose, broadside in a strip cut at 70m. Head was down, so I had no idea if it was a bull or a cow, and didn't really care. I made a good lung shot, and we walked up on a 5 pt eater bull. He went 10 yards. Loonie sized entrance and exit, with lots of lung damage. To say I was relieved is an understatement, and 120 TSX at 3350 sure did the job.

Attached Images
IMG_5569 (1).jpg (20.19 KB, 244 downloads)
IMG_0021 (1).jpg (17.7 KB, 240 downloads)
IMG_0015 (1).jpg (18.43 KB, 241 downloads)
IMG_0016.jpg (12.88 KB, 241 downloads)
Last edited by mpwolf; 09/27/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on the moose!

Nice stuff, just read it blew on through..

Last edited by beretzs; 09/27/22.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by beretzs
How fast are yours going? About all I've shot out of this rifle so far is 120 tsx at 3350.

Shoot, I'd be fine with that load myself. Chances are it'll out penetrate the 160 AB anyhow.

you are probably right, but how can any self respecting rifle looney miss the chance to work up a new, perfect load, for a hunt he's been waiting 25 years for?!?!

I totally understand that! I would be guilty of that myself!

Sounds like a great reason to work up a new perfect load. Being new to the RSAUM, this is an interesting thread. I really like my new to me 300RSAUM. I'll bet the 7 is damn near perfect too. You get a lot in a small package. Mine is like a featherweight with a short 22" barrel, but it keeps up with my 24" 300 Wizzums. I'm really surprised there isn't more of a following for these RSAUM's. Congrats on the moose mpwolf!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
the rifle is pretty straight forward, but has proved to be very practical and effective. It started as a SS BDL in 300 WSM, that I put a take off 7 SAUM barrel on, after having it chopped at 22" and rechambering with my reamer, and then bedded it into a Mcmillan Compact stock. Scope is a Vari-X-III 2.5-8 with M1 elevation turret that I bough here on the classifieds. It carries well, handles great, and 120 tsx at 3350 flat out hurts stuff, with pretty mild recoil.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Freezer filler,that one should eat well.
Way to stick it out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You Sir have a lot of excellent eating in your future!

Try Horse Radish on your burgers, makes them extra special. And of course, some ICE-COLD ones so you can relive your hunt!

Congratulations on your beautiful moose!

Cheers ~ Darren

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had no idea if it was a bull or a cow, and didn't really care.
Any moose is a good moose. grin

Congrats!

M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Any moose is a good moose. grin

Congrats!

truth!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 12 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.