Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or donkeys for being an ass?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tommygs if he gets on here has a fullblood lab that caught on quick how to kill young feral pigs and even went out after them on his own, so labs are fully capable.

Unless you actually SAW what happened, Clod remains a suspect, SOMETHING tore up that deer inside the fence, close to your house, and CLod had already learned how to chase 'em.

I view the issue as one of time and training, dogs are creatures of habit, take the dog around deer and call him back every time he starts to run one, eventually with repetition of this they just get out of the inclination.

Young Clod needs to be walked around livestock too to nip any inclination towards THAT sort of fatal endeavor in the bud.

Worked on my two heelers, who will let deer up and run off without hardly batting an eyelash, OTOH they know rabbits, cats and squirrels are fair game.... UNLESS I call 'em off of those too.

Clod ain't earned a bullet yet, but the potential is there if he ain't worked with.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
mud bogger,

You have gotten some advice to process thew deer carcass. DISREGARD that advice if you do not want to wind up in court, talking to the judge about a poaching ticket. You could already be on slippery ground for putting the deer down and for not calling the F & W officers, so they could take care of the carcass.

I hunt in Idaho, but am close enough to the border to know just what kind of sense of humor the Oregon State Police do not have, at least those in Eastern Oregon.

I can not believe that OSP will not know about this thread by tomorrow, that is, if the appropriate F & W officer has not already seen it.

OSP seems to consider their deer to be government property, no matter whose land they are on. I would be very surprised if OSP does not have something to say about your dog's future. And they may expect you to pay the value of the deer.

Did someone already say that perhaps this was not a good place to discuss this issue.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Something could have chased the fawn into the yard as well.

If the had blood ALL over him he may have rolled in the blood.

But any volume of blood is going to be either arterial or from a bed where the fawn lay'd down.

Spot

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/15/07.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
ok moms home and I got the full story.

She said she let out all 3 dogs. And not long after she herd an odd sound. She thought it was my predator call (fawn in distress maybe?). The other 2 dogs came back in the house, but they were very skittish and nervous. She kept hearing the sound. So she went out to see what it was.

She said there were deer everywhere, and they were all blowing an milling about. She said clod was around the fawn but was also acting skittish. She said he was coverd in blood, but it was sprayed on blood. Like he ran up on it from behind, after its rear had been torn open.

So MColeman I do believe you were right. about it not being clod at all.

I ruled out cougar because the deer was still alive, and it didnt look like any claw marks. I also ruled out the yotes becuz the damage was only in one spot. SO who knows now. But mom is almost positive that it wasnt clod.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
didnt process the deer, just to be safe. All thoguh from past experience they werent to worried about puttin a deer down. I had to do it a while back to a lil buck that got hit by a school bus. I called OSP an asked, all they cared about was that I was outside of city limits and i had something adiquate to put it down with.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If my labs killed a deer I'd be pretty dang impressed with them. I opened my front door the other day and saw a kitty cat pawing through my trash. For some stupid reason I said "go get it" under my breath and my dogs happened to be standing at the doorway. I've seen them haul azz to get ducks, but this was a new kind of haul azz.....

Kitty cat won't be in the trash anymore and I saw a side of my labs I've never seen before.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Do you have a screw loose?

Ya jerkoff. Why don't ya come over and try and tighten it for me.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
didnt process the deer, just to be safe. All thoguh from past experience they werent to worried about puttin a deer down. I had to do it a while back to a lil buck that got hit by a school bus. I called OSP an asked, all they cared about was that I was outside of city limits and i had something adiquate to put it down with.

But the difference is that last time you called them first, and this time the deer was not hit by a bus.

It ain't right, and it ain't just, but many fine people find themselves cross ways to the law through the best of intentions.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
maybe the deer got hung up on the fence? Maybe that is where the injury occured? just a thought...

Dave

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
lil latenow. We'll see what happens. Nothing was done to the deer besides moving it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
UHhhhh.....

Mudbogger is talkin' to much.

I like his dog, and him....

The fish cops WON"T.

everybody should have had a big shot of STFU, .....before this thread started.

3S dittos, ...to the max......and Mudbogger, .....that dog looks a bit gant,........

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've seen young deer clear a farm fence from a standing start. It's possible she got caught up on ther fence but how do you explain all the blood on the hindquarters?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I too have seen deer, young and old clear a fence from standing BUT I have also seen 'em get hung up in a fence, jumping over and climbing through...don't know where the injury was so I can't comment other than it is one of several possible ways this could have played out.

Dave

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Someone removed a key picture (smart move). I know guys who run bear dogs, coon dogs, rabbits, and bird dogs (including duck retrievers). None would tolerate a dog that chase deer. Had a britany chase after a deer once. We finally got the dog back, owner told me to take off the dogs collar. Dog never ran deer after that day. Had it been my mutt I might have kept it around as a watch dog. Some people won't waste food on a dumb one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Someone removed a key picture (smart move)."

Yup, ......

and a LOT smarter than putting it up in the first place.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For those that say a collar can't work... my lab would smell a snake and head on over to see what it was(how should he know the difference??)

We took him to snake breaking class, live snakes and they shocked him when the rattler struck him, and when he got close to the moccasin.... That was a year ago. And he was only shocked 2 times. Any time he can smell a snake now he avoids it.

It works for breaking them of chasing cows, though I like for him to run the stupid cows away from the house, from us, or from the vehicles so I have not hit for that yet. He won't go looking for the cows...

Had a setter once that decided that rabbits were the ticket... collar took care of that and was much easier than the one previous where dad beat him a few times.... collar they don't associate with you so they think it can hit em

Collars are a really good training tool if not abused!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
UPDATE

Woke up today to the scream of a cougar. Started counting dogs and guess who was missing?

So the shotguns and flashlights came out. Spotted clod up on the hillside, nose to the ground workin out a trail, lol.

Then we caught another movement, long low an movin fast. Caught a gleam of eyes and that it.

cat tracks everywhere. We got clod an went back inside. Now were waitin for daylight!

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
and Mudbogger, .....that dog looks a bit gant,........

GTC

He does look it but he isnt. He is on full feed, an steals the other dogs food as well. He is just enerjectic as hell. And doesnt have any fat on him. He's just muscle,

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 204guy, 74 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.