Hop To
Page 116 of 196 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 195 196
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sir Ron, yes, cow killer tree on ground, split and piled to dry along with 4 hickory and two water oak, all GTG, will be looking forward to results on 2015BR and 404 Hammers, glad to see you're healing up, i have kind of a wide hoof, Thorogood composite toe pull on leather boots are great for working, water and shock proof, i never feel the safety toe covering, great boots made in the USA and priced right, iirc i got out of Gellco up in Ft Smith for less than 150 bucks.

Time is drawing near for Africa, i'll get little Wife to snap a couple pics of the 'Big Sticks' i'll be using on this Safari and send em to you for posting if you wish.

That is a heck of a pile of firewood. I think a hickory-stocked .458 WM/WM+ would be some great firewood.
Will look for those Thorogood boots, have a Red Wing Pecos with steel toe, custom stretched for my own funny feet,
and some Red Wing Engineer boots with buckles, yeehah !
Might have to get the right boots stretched again for my now funnier right foot.

Sir Jerry practices his quick draw safari manual of arms below:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That big galoot makes that 500 look small grin

Semper Fi
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Scotty,
You got that right.
Sir Jerry's knuckles do not drag the ground, but if the buffalo does not drop dead with first shot on a close charge,
Sir Jerry will bulldog it with bare hands.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
All good here CTF, hope same for you and yours, was on woodpile again at dawn this morning, about to get her wrapped up for drying all year long, need to mow the yard, have soaker hoses laid in the garden, with all of it being planted, we know the sun will shine, i'll put the water to it hard and heavy, poor Wife will finally have enough of it and canning it all, i'll yank the plants and throw over the fence for the cattle to pilfer through, then pulverize with batwing cutter this Winter.

Pro Tip: for any of you men that have a Wife that gardens, soaker hoses are your friends, lay the water to it, overwhelm her with vegetables, you'll buy yourself an extra month of freedom leading into October hunting season! cool LOL.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Sir Ron, yes, cow killer tree on ground, split and piled to dry along with 4 hickory and two water oak, all GTG, will be looking forward to results on 2015BR and 404 Hammers, glad to see you're healing up, i have kind of a wide hoof, Thorogood composite toe pull on leather boots are great for working, water and shock proof, i never feel the safety toe covering, great boots made in the USA and priced right, iirc i got out of Gellco up in Ft Smith for less than 150 bucks.

Time is drawing near for Africa, i'll get little Wife to snap a couple pics of the 'Big Sticks' i'll be using on this Safari and send em to you for posting if you wish.

That is a heck of a pile of firewood. I think a hickory-stocked .458 WM/WM+ would be some great firewood.
Will look for those Thorogood boots, have a Red Wing Pecos with steel toe, custom stretched for my own funny feet,
Might have to get the right boots stretched again for my now funnier right foot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL Big B, i failed to mention Holland & Holland built those rifles on the 22 Hornet action, it has 13 inch barrels, i'm 3'1" and 125 pounds, perfect symmetry, no? grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sir Scotty,
You got that right.
Sir Jerry's knuckles do not drag the ground, but if the buffalo does not drop dead with first shot on a close charge,
Sir Jerry will bulldog it with bare hands.

I'll be tripping someone and trying to run my old butt up a tree Sir Ron ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColdTriggerFinger
How's everyone doing ?
Seems y'all have been busy killin ruminates, trees, almost feet and targets 😆💪
Good job.
I wonder how 1/4" thick hickory boards , laminated together would work for a rifle stock ?
Should be strong enough !
I can say that the .458 , 350 gr TSX and X bullets @ 2550 fps mv, slaughter big brown bear in a most satisfying way. I'm sure faster would be if anything even more instantaneous.
As long as it didn't hinder follow up shots in rapid order.
Just that there are times when more than 1 furry problem is inbound.
Practice practice practice.

Sir Ron, 1 bad fall on March 30 2020 changed my life forever with blowing 5 tendons off my left rotator cuff.
I think the most dangerous thing a person can do is fall down. Historically I've fell down a Lot.
Stiff soled boots are great things . I wear Viberg 105 T when falling timber , arborist work and logging. Occasionally, if it's dry, I will wear my White Smoke Jumpers.
Due to some knee injuries I need to find a low heel , stiff soled boot. Not as stiff or warm as my Koflack Infernos.
The search is on. Hobbling around on 1 + 1/2 knee gets old and tiring fast.
I'm still building our home. This summers job is a garage addition to the house.
Once I can get the engine on my sawmill to start and run.
Last I checked, 7/16" osb was $50.00 a sheet. I can make a bunch of 1"×8" boards for 50 bucks. So sheet goods will get passed over for this build. Winter is coming.
We are in Red Flag Warnings here and mostly have been for a week.

Sir Spruce,
Good to see you can take a break now and then to chip in here.
I checked the Viberg 105T, White's Smoke Jumper, and Koflack Inferno boots: Too much boot for my current needs.
I stopped by the local Redwing shop and no dice locally on the Thorogood boot Sir Jerry mentioned.
If the boot fits, I will wear it, nice to be able to try some on.
Besides the two Redwings I have two sets of Herman Survivors with steel toe, and my steel-toed tactical boot for lawn work.
The pull-on Herman is a waterproof cowboy style with black rubber "street-tread" oil-proof sole,
lighter than the redwing, favored for tree climbing.
When I do the Valdez to Fairbanks hike will probably go in Kangaroo-leather upland boots,
like I had from Browning and Cabela's brand most recently,
and try not to fall down and kick a boulder.
I have a new phobia of New Balance sneakers.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL Big B, i failed to mention Holland & Holland built those rifles on the 22 Hornet action, it has 13 inch barrels, i'm 3'1" and 125 pounds, perfect symmetry, no? grin

Hell yeah!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soaker hoses.
Sir Jerry, do you use the black spongy ones that weep all over or do you drill holes in a better-constructed length of hose ?
Any tips on soaker hoses appreciated. Need to do some for the planned Victory Garden in the lower 40.
Got the black spongy ones buried under lava rock in the front forty flower beds.
Saw a DIY drilling holes in a garden hose on LIFE BELOW ZERO or PORT PROTECTION
for Alaskan greenhouse farming ... or was that Mike on BETTER CALL SAUL ...
I been binge-watching NAT GEO, HISTORY CHANNEL and NETFLIX lately.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And just to keep it related to shooting the .458 WinMag, sort of:
My Gunsmith, builder of my .458 WinMags, invited me to go shooting for 4th of July, more fun than fireworks.
It was 94 degrees where we were.
He fired some of his handloads for .243 WCF over his Magneto Speed and his son's Lab Radar.
No statistically significant difference between the two for MV readings.
He was using Winchester STABALL powder.

The .458 WinMag was released hot on the heels of the .308 WCF and .243 WCF shorty successes.
The coned-up breech on the .458 WinMag made it an immediate shorty success,
absolutely able to beat a SAAMI .458 Lott if allowed same COL and MAP limits.

Advantage of Lab Radar is you can fire for groups while chronographing, and also get 100-yard velocities.
Magneto Speed is handy but affects POI of loads, and cannot be used for handguns.
My Caldwell G2 agreed well with my Oehler P35 (no statistical difference) but must watch for lighting conditions with both.
Magneto Speed advantage over all of them might be a lesser susceptibility to errors from foam wad fillers, etc.

I rehabbed my foot in the heat with a Henry Classic H001 lever action, 18" barrel, .22 LR.
Zeroed 1/2" high at 25 yards with Federal AutoMatch standard velocity ammo, 40-grainers (1232 fps mean at 5 yards),
it is back on zero at 75 yards with a Nikon 1.5-4.5x20mm shotgun scope with Turkey Reticle.
Rings big gong at 200 yards with hold on the bottom point of the diamond-plex.
Then I drilled the center of a 25-yard paper target at 25 yards with 6" Colt Python.
Remington Golden Saber 125-gr, brass-jacketed HP, 1385 fps mean at 5 yards.
Excellent, mild recoil load, discontinued because it was too good ?
Like the Winchester Black Talon stuff ?
Democraps claimed coroners would open up the dead and find the Black Talons still spinning inside the corpse.
Glad I bought the Golden Sabers by the case when I could.

Well, it was 99*F here yesterday and heat index is hitting 111*F here today.
My foot is ready for the .458 WinMag when we get a little cooler.
But the creek I was planning to get water from for the Iron WaterBoard Buffalo tests is bone dry. frown

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hopefully once the creek rises, you will be able to run the Iron WaterBoard Buffalo test on the 404 Hammer, high and low speed. If time permitting, perhaps the 380 grain Lehigh copper flat point.
That Lehigh may have some potential for respectable velocity. Using the straight edge method it appears the .458 diameter begins at the first band. It would appear that the wide meplat would enhance significant tissue relocation at 2000 fps and above impacts.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Soaker hoses.
Sir Jerry, do you use the black spongy ones that weep all over or do you drill holes in a better-constructed length of hose ?
Any tips on soaker hoses appreciated. Need to do some for the planned Victory Garden in the lower 40.
Got the black spongy ones buried under lava rock in the front forty flower beds.
Saw a DIY drilling holes in a garden hose on LIFE BELOW ZERO or PORT PROTECTION
for Alaskan greenhouse farming ... or was that Mike on BETTER CALL SAUL ...
I been binge-watching NAT GEO, HISTORY CHANNEL and NETFLIX lately.

Yes Sir Ron, black spongy, 5/8ths diameter, cut to length, also get 5/8ths plastic nipples at parts store for fixing leaks, cut leak, install nipple, couple zip ties and back in business, if burying like you say, good lifetime water hose with holes punched in would definitely be more durable and long lasting.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Larry,
Yep, I want to do that Lehigh 380-gr copper FN, compare it to the 404-gr Shock hammer for penetration.
Will make it simple and use same powder charge for both, pending AA-2015BR vs. H4198 Extreme comparison to
what we already know about AA-2230 and AA-2460s.
Finally rained yesterday, 60% chance today, 50% chance tomorrow, expected to be sunny and high in upper 80s Sunday.
Happy days may be here again Sunday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry,
I Learn all sorts of things on this thread.
Googled and Youtubed soaker hoses and drip irrigation tubing OTC, and DIY 1/16" drill through regular garden hose. grin
For the reminder on attention to irrigation systems, buy a donkey.

Link on Africa Forum told of fatal buffalo goring in Limpopo area SA: https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/other/buffalo-kills-hunter-in-limpopo/ar-AAZbXVS
That is where you are going IIRC.
Of course, you probably have cape buffalo anatomy memorized, no worries.

First time in Botswana 2001, I was on a budget hunt that cost me $20,000 total after cheap taxidermy by a local VIP buddy.
Second time in Tanzania 2010 the cost was much higher: I paid by sharing a tent with Walter and taxidermy out of Houston, TX.
I would have hated to have paid for another cape buffalo mount.
To get the skulls and hides home for personal arts and crafts would be my future plans.

Nothing attracts game like a cash cow,
but I will have come into an inheritance to spend before I become a cash cow.

First two cape buffalo I took with humerus-heart-lung shots.
They reacted identically to identical shot placement, first one with a .416 Rigby, second one with a .500 Mbogo, my pet wildcat.
They bucked like a rodeo bull and ran about 50 yards away and died.
All I can say now is I should've had a Four Five Eight.
I expect the 404-gr Shock Hammer at ~2500 fps MV will work wonders for one-shot kills.
Pay the insurance with either another one of those or your 500-gr TBSS at ~2300 fps from the magazine of your .458 WM+.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mere .416 Rigby:

[Linked Image]

More with .500 Mbogo:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A pointer on the insurance shot follows, for those that are patient enough to humor me:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a pointer on the insurance shot, literally and figuratively, pointer points to entrance wound:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But wait, I am not done, both bullets were recovered, along with a heart that had one usual exit hole and another entrance&exit gash:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those are the only photos of heart I have, and which side of heart that vertical gash was on,
I am not sure, but I do not recall any other holes.
Gerard Schultz was shocked by the pinched nose (me too) and redesigned the bullet after that.

Maybe not the bullet's fault. Maybe it was still yawing a bit at 5 yards and tilted on entry,
bending and pinching nose of bullet.
Twist was 1:10", meaningless after the bullet enters game.
An FN solid would have had a better chance of staying on course before going to sleep
in the ground on the other side of the buffalo, from whatever angle.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sir Ron,
I look forward to your test results.
I am intrigued by the potential of the 380 Lehigh FP. Not because I have a "need" for a solid in the bolt guns. But, they certainly work within their trajectory and velocity comfort zones. 45-70 and bigger bore handguns as examples. Given bullet integrity and more velocity it would seem they would work better yet at tissue relocation.

Those 350 grain NF Expanding CPS are very impressive to me as to their performance in Michael's testing and others. Hopefully these will become a more common in-stock item.

Yesterday, I hit the .375 bullet jackpot in Eagle River. Finally a decent supply of the Barnes 270 grain LRX bullets. At 2650-2700 fps this is my new all-around N.A. 3/8" bullet. Pretty much a larger diameter 338 Winchester to 300 yards.

Not sure of what the length or bc would be, but a Tipped version of the .458 400 grain TSX might be interesting. I have not had enough interest to purchase the Buffalo Bore 400 TSX loads to purchase and pull a bullet to compare to the 404 Shock Hammer. Buffalo Bore advertises a 2250 fps muzzle velocity. Basically the same from his 18 & 22" rifles. I assume 2300 would be feasible from a 24" barrel, individual barrel dependent.
I do not recall chronograph results from anyone. Tim does state he intentionally does not load this bullet to maximum with the powder that he is using.
I suspect the TSX is less bc than the 404 Shock Hammer. The 404 Hammer seems a very easy 2350 fps from a 24" barrel. Not sure that I will develop enough curiosity to purchase the Buffalo Bores to explore.

Edit: Great pictures and write up.

Last edited by ldmay375; 07/08/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My shots were offhand on both buffalo, 50 yards and 75 yards.
We crawled a little each time then stood up and shot.

Day two in Tanzania I was allowed a second buffalo, but PH was a smoker needing a nicotine fix frequently.
He knew the patterns the buffalo followed, and after we spooked a bachelor pod of dagga boys
he knew where they would run.
He wanted to get it done so he could smoke.
He set up a tripod of spindly switches from tree limbs, top wrapped with innertube rubber band, on the side of a termite mound,
told me they would come running through a clearing about 150 yards away,
and if one paused I should take a shot.
DOH !
Yup, yup, yup.
One of them did stop.
The tripod leaned and collapsed off the sidehill of the termite mound as I shot, counting coup on the fanny of the buffalo,
with the 500 Mbogo.
Searched high and low and found one drop of blood.
But we had fun with repeated encounters for hours looking for a wounded buffalo.
None was even limping.
Moral of the story: PH suggestions are not always cool, even if he is smoking Cools.
Sometimes he just wants to get it over with so he can smoke while taking you on a sightseeing tour.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Larry wrote:

I am intrigued by the potential of the 380 Lehigh FP. Not because I have a "need" for a solid in the bolt guns. But, they certainly work within their trajectory and velocity comfort zones. 45-70 and bigger bore handguns as examples. Given bullet integrity and more velocity it would seem they would work better yet at tissue relocation.

Yes, good in .45-70, better in .458 WM. Will be interesting to see how that WFN with sharp edges cuts through the IWBB.
I also now have some 400-gr CEB brass FN "LEVER+SOLID" solids to compare at .458 WM velocities, thanks to Sir Jerry.
Doc M never did them justice with high enough velocity at MIB, in his wetpack. They all need to go at least 2400 fps for full effect.

Those 350 grain NF Expanding CPS are very impressive to me as to their performance in Michael's testing and others. Hopefully these will become a more common in-stock item.

Those were done well at MIB and proven in the field too.

Yesterday, I hit the .375 bullet jackpot in Eagle River. Finally a decent supply of the Barnes 270 grain LRX bullets. At 2650-2700 fps this is my new all-around N.A. 3/8" bullet. Pretty much a larger diameter 338 Winchester to 300 yards.

Is Boondock Sporting Goods still alive and well in Eagle River ?

Not sure of what the length or bc would be, but a Tipped version of the .458 400 grain TSX might be interesting.

If only Hornady would take the opportunity to offer a .458-cal/ 400-gr GMX or CX ...

I have not had enough interest to purchase the Buffalo Bore 400 TSX loads to purchase and pull a bullet to compare to the 404 Shock Hammer. Buffalo Bore advertises a 2250 fps muzzle velocity. Basically the same from his 18 & 22" rifles.

Amazing but true, IIRC:
2247 fps in his 22" factory M70 barrel, 2250 fps in his 18" custom M98 barrel !

I assume 2300 would be feasible from a 24" barrel, individual barrel dependent.
I do not recall chronograph results from anyone. Tim does state he intentionally does not load this bullet to maximum with the powder that he is using.

Buffalo Bore Factory load for .458 WM with 400-gr TSX, COL = 3.310", BOL = 1.390".
My 24" Ruger No. 1 factory barrel at 87*F : 2320 fps at 5 yards, corrected for BC = 0.324 gives MV = 2333 for 5-shot mean.
My 25" Shilen barrel at 64*F: 2336 fps at 5 yards, corrected for BC =0.324 gives MV = 2350 fps for 5-shot mean.

I suspect the TSX is less bc than the 404 Shock Hammer. The 404 Hammer seems a very easy 2350 fps from a 24" barrel. Not sure that I will develop enough curiosity to purchase the Buffalo Bores to explore.

404-gr Shock Hammer BC = .419
400-gr TSX BC = .324
Buffalo Bore is excellent factory ammo with the 400-gr TSX.
I shot sub-MOA for 3 shots at 100 yards when zeroing that Shilen barrel for last year's deer season.
Got a nice buck with it.
BUT, if you have the 404-gr Shock Hammer to handload, you have no need for the 400-gr TSX from Tim Sundle's corner of the market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harassing the dagga boys, looking for one with a scratch on his butt:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little drive in the bakkie for a smoke and then back onto the sightseeing trail:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We walked about for about 4 hours. Great sightseeing.
Could have easily shot another bull if I had not counted coup on the buffalo butt earlier that day.
Sure glad I did not have to pay for the taxidermy of a buffalo butt,
though it would have made an interesting keepsake for dryfire practice of Portuguese Heart Shots.

Page 116 of 196 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 195 196

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.