Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have two Winchester 1892 franken-rifles that I'm trying to get up and running. Both have jury-rigged magazine hangers (not originally fitted to these barrels at least), and I'm wondering how much some flex/tension in the magazine will affect the barrel and throw off accuracy.

One has the twist-in ring, the other has just the forearm barrel-band with a cross-screw. Both are short magazines with the magazine cap screw into a shallow hole on the bottom of the barrel, at about 3-4" in front of each hanger. Both barrels are light-weight round non-factory replacements.

It seems like when I get the magazine almost in place, the rear end is high against the receiver, and I have to flex it down to get it into the receiver hole. This puts some flex/tension in the magazine at the hanger, and levers the forward end of the magazine up tight against the barrel. Then when I put the magazine cap screw in it bottoms out against the barrel (and creates a gap between barrel and magazine), and adds to the magazines' tension against the barrel again...

Long question to ask if this sort of magazine tension effects the barrel enough to disrupt consistent accuracy? And if I should rearrange the hangers to eliminate any flex?

Thanks for Your experienced consideration,
Jeff

Last edited by JeffG; 07/05/22.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Can you shoot it without the magazine? Maybe single shot, 5-10 shots and repeat with magazine in place.That ought to tell you. Generally anytime you put something together that stresses the part or mating parts is not a good thing IMO.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That is exactly the sort of simple logic, simple question, simple answer I needed to hear, Thanks!

- Of course I can test-fire it without the magazine, then add back all the flex and stress and try it again,
- and of course it is going to affect the consistency of accuracy,
- so, of course it is worth the trouble of fixing it "right",
- (instead of looking for excuses not to), and just get to it!

Thank You Saddlesore for setting me straight!

Last edited by JeffG; 07/05/22.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You might have to put a thin washer between the barrel and the magazine do that front screw won't bottom out. Gap wont hurt it there, but it will increase the flex probably if I understand what you are saying.

Then again, If you don't see any difference, you won't have to fix it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.