Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do all of my deer hunting the T/C Encores/Pro hunters now and my groundhog shooting with Ruger #1. I shoot mostly the .50 Ml and sometimes drag out the 20 ga Encore slug gun. I have had only 1 missed shot in the last 6 years which I think was a deflected 20 ga slug. I quickly reloaded and "dropped" her.

I had one occurance when I shot a large Doe and her young one's stayed so I kept loading the 20 ga slug gun from the tree stand and tagged 2 more as well. We have unlimited Doe tags and donate the meat to the D.C. soup kitchens.

I don't load or prime with the 209 primer (ML) untill I am seated in my stand. The single shots( #1 & Encore's) are so perfect for tree stand shooting IMO.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 10/16/07.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm a relatively new "member" of the Ruger #1 Rifle Club having purchased my little RSI in 7x57 just a tad over a year ago... and the more I read what the #1 owners say about hunting with a single shot, the more I consider using my "ding-less" RSI as a "hunter" rather than just as a "shooter" at my club's rifle range which is what I've done so far with it.

My first big game kill (a running mule deer buck at 425 yards in 1962) was a "dumb" shot on which I never should have pulled the trigger... even though I was laying on a rock outcropping on a Colorado mountain with the rifle resting on my day-pack in a very solid "bench-rest-like" solid position.

It took 45 minutes to climb down the "mountain" (actually just a "tall hill") I was on, cross the narrow valley and climb back up to the same level on the next "mountain" to get to the deer. Then it took a second shot from my rifle and another shot from my pistol to "finish" the suffering buck.

Even though I knew the ballistics on my handloaded .338 Win. Mag. cartridge out to 500 yards, I mis-judged the distance and shot a bit too high and too far back breaking the deer's back. The 210 grain Nosler Partition bullet blew out 4-inches of his spine just ahead of his "hips"... taking out or ruining all of his steaks... leaving a small, football-shaped hole in the top of his back with his intestines "sucked-up" through the hole. A very "nasty" shot I truly regretted.

I felt so bad about the suffering I caused that I vowed to never take another shot beyond my rifle's "point-blank-range" (250-300 yards depending on what rifle I'm using)... and I never have.

But I digress.

I currently hunt with my handloads (150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2680 fps) in a 1953 Savage Model 99 "EG" in .300 Savage and don't consider any shot over 250 yards. I like a "repeater" in country that holds bears even though I'm hunting for deer simply because I might run into a "grouchy" ol' bear that doesn't want me on HIS mountain who might decide to "teach" me a lesson in respect.

However, the more I "hang around" guys who "hunt" single shot rifles, the more I find I'm beginning to consider using my "purdy", ding-free RSI for my annual deer hunting trek in the territory around my bestest buddy's cozy cabin in Pennsylvania where we hunt white-tails.

As far as feeling at a disadvantage with a single shot, all of my kills since that first "goof" have been one-shot kills, so a single shot would have not been... nor would be a disadvantage.

I don't feel a single shot rifle would be a "disadvantage" during ANY hunt for non-dangerous game, but admittedly, I believe it is "natural & normal" for a man using a single shot rifle to "choose" his shots a bit more carefully.

If I were hunting dangerous game (I'm thinking mostly of the BIG bears since I don't hunt outside of North America), I'd want a repeating rifle "just-in-case".

If I were hunting things at CAN "eat" me or hunting in an area where such animals are found, I'd definitely want a "repeating" rifle.

As far as carrying a round in the chamber, once I am out of the cabin, I load my rifle's chamber, put the safety "on" and, naturally... keep the muzzle of my rifle pointing in a SAFE direction (loaded or not) at ALL times both "going" and "coming" from the hunt. I unload the rifle once I get back to camp, but BEFORE I enter the cabin. Our camp rule is "no loaded guns in the cabin"... a "rule" with which I completely agree.

In summary, I frankly don't see any big disadvantage in hunting non-dangerous game with a single shot rifle. I do believe it tends to make most hunters "choose" their shots more carefully which isn't a "bad" thing. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Since getting my #1 13 years ago it has accounted for 1 deer and most of my antelope since. Last Monday was the latest antelope. It makes you put all your stalking and shooting skills to work to make that one good shot. Mine isn't as light and responsive as yours. I have a 28" barrel on it in .264 Win. Mag.. Yours would have been just the ticket at the 30 yards from the herd I found myself in, but mine is too heavy for quick off-hand shooting that would have been called for.

Good luck hunting with your #1!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"Oh, have missed a couple of shots with singles. Both times I just pulled it and shot under, at about 200 yards."

I just did the exact same thing yesterday on an antelope doe. I would have been home buy 10 o'clock in the morning. Came home empty instead.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Youper

I hunt the big empty with mine in central and eastern MT so I only load it when I spot the animal and start the stalk. I think if I hunted in thicker country I would go loaded and keep all aspects of weapons safety in mind as with any other type of action.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt using a G2 Contender pistol in 35 REM and a G2 Contender Rifle in 6.8 SPC. I killed 6 deer last year using these two weapons. Ranges were from about 50 yards out to about 200 yards. I do cary them loaded if I am still hunting (moving slowly). If I am stand hunting and I am just walking to my tree stand or tripod stand, then the weapon is unloaded.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Ron_T
I'm a relatively new "member" of the Ruger #1 Rifle Club having purchased my little RSI in 7x57 just a tad over a year ago... and the more I read what the #1 owners say about hunting with a single shot, the more I consider using my "ding-less" RSI as a "hunter" rather than just as a "shooter" at my club's rifle range which is what I've done so far with it.

However, the more I "hang around" guys who "hunt" single shot rifles, the more I find I'm beginning to consider using my "purdy", ding-free RSI for my annual deer hunting trek in the territory around my bestest buddy's cozy cabin in Pennsylvania where we hunt white-tails.

If you have a nice #1, T/C Encores are relatively cheap, easy to replace wood (or synthetic), and swappable barrels. The NEF's are even cheaper (again with the synthetic option).

I tend to use Contender pistols in 7-30 Waters and 30-30. I'll probably get a 16" barrel in 7-30 and use that as a rifle (right about 5lbs scoped). I do have a 243 NEF (I want to get a 45/70 barrel for it).

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use an Encore and a Number One as well as bolt guns, lever actions and a few autoloaders. Like many of you, I'm at a point in life where magazine capacity may be a political issue, but (for me) it's not a hunting issue. Even by being very, very careful of when and how I pull that trigger I seem to be able to put enough meat in the freezer and the occassional rack on the wall.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting success with a single shot. ONE shot, this critter literally dropped flat on his belly. Put one into the back of his neck at 3 feet but it really wasn't needed. Original Sharps 45-110.
[Linked Image]
500gr paper patch, 105 gr GOEX FFG Express.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put one into the back of his neck at 3 feet

That's how ya deal with a rainbow trajectory.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way to go ET.....too cool!

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am 100% using my Ruger No1 in 405 Win, only have hunted one time with it grin

[Linked Image]

Need to hunt more with it, really like it, just a little too big of a caliber for the midwest, little over kill for whitetail using a 400 gr Barnes SP doing 1900 fps. Need to find a No1 in 6.5 Swede for that.

I always carry a round in the chamber, safety on, once I start hunting. Never know when a shot on a animal will happen.

41Gunner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know there are more than a few folks who would feel undergunned with a single when hunting dangerous game. And I have actually pondered and questioned the utility and purpose of the Tropical versions (like the 416s and 458s). Yet, if you think about it, in just about any DG scenario one will have back-up of some kind, often professional. Combine that with the great familiarity with your rifle that most "rifle loonies" (it is easier to spell than afficiando) who might choose a single to hunt with will have and you still have a very useful hunting combination.

Besides, when hunting in some of the perverse conditions one can encounter in remote places, I like the fact that I can peek into the bore from the breech to quickly prove that my three or four hundred grain bullet is not going to meet at least that much mud or snow before it exits the barrel. As a final bonus, I have found that the simple combination of moving parts, at least in the Ruger #1, is less inclined to get sticky in the cold than are bolt rifles with longer parallel sliding surfaces. That's a value that has proved itself on several moose hunts.

This bear never knew that it was a single shot which launched the 350 grain bullet.
[Linked Image]
Probably didn't know my backup was five years old either.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThe FIRST shot wuz 75 yards. The neck shot was to pay the insurance. grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've done well with a Ruger#1 in 416 Rigby -- only on elk so far. I've also shot two buffalo with a Browning 1885 High Wall in .454. A few deer with an Encore in .454 (hey, it is a single shot! smile )

have put in a finisher after the first shot dropped (all the larger animals) and had no trouble reloading quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you tire of shooting that big 4-1-6 perhaps I could try it for awhile. wink

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
it's a pretty one for sure...might not fair too well up your way grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, it is. At least it's walnut - I won't have any other kind of #1. My 45-70 has nice wood if less so than yours. 'Course the corners on the metal are a bit bluing "faded' and some of the wood finish has been polished a bit "deep." Still, as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't lost any value even if I'm the only one who is likely to view it that way. Wear has a way of looking so honest on a blued/walnut gun.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Evil Twin--Way to go. Using an ORIGINAL bull barreled Sharps 45-110 and traditional paper patched bullets is really special. Think about it--that old rifle has surely killed buffalo in years past, maybe even thousands of them. Here it is today putting moose on the ground with one shot.

Your experience with the moose adds to my sense that these rifles and this caliber are truly Something Special. I have hunted with Sharps rifles and lead bullets pushed by black powder for years, and have enjoyed a bit of success. I finally got a 45-110 about four years ago, and its effect in the game fields, ESPECIALLY on large animals, has been dramatic. While I haven't taken a moose, I have seen Wyoming buffalo and South African kudu, black wildebeast, blue wildebeast, and gemsbok simply melt when hit with a 511 grain 30-1 paper patched bullet out of my rifle. All of these animals are larger than an American elk, and when we put your moose into the mix, I get the sense that there is something extraordinary about the load and cartridge. It simply flattens them.

I am going for a buffalo again in December with a friend of mine, and we will both be using Shiloh Sharps in 45-110. We will also be shooting the traditional 500 grain 30-1 paper patched bullets pushed by 106 grains of Goex Express black powder. We have good rifles and will have a good hunt--every hunt you take with that original Sharps is truly special. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 10/17/07. Reason: spelling correction
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted many years with single shots. I started with a Browning 78 in 7mag back around 1979. I killed a good many Texas whitetails with it. There have been many other rifles along the way but the singles have always been my favorites. The last decade or so I have hunted with Sharps and black powder but have tapered off the black powder because of the "low and slow" problems with cleanly killing animals. The Sharps 40-70ss with 300gr Hawk bullets and H4895 are great killers, especially hard on hogs.

I have always had a Ruger #1 or several in the rack and have recently added a Hagn in 300 win mag. It went to Africa and I have zero complaints about the single. Short of dangerous game I believe a single shot is just fine.

Here's a Hartebeest that I shot at a little over 200yds. The Hartebeest was quartering away trotting and the partition hit him behind the last rib on the left side and broke the shoulder on the right.

Sorry about the pained look on my face. I had blown out a disc in my neck and the pain was brutal by this point in the hunt.

Here's my Hartebeest:

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.