-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What weight JHP are you shooting? My Henry single shot doesn't like 180 gr bullets but loves 240 gr bullets.

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I’ve had the best luck on break actions putting the rest as close to the pivot point as I could. I also hold the forearm, but try not to induce any torque by pulling it side to side or down.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I was interested in the Scout in .444, a real bargain on the surface. Maybe not so much….
I wouldn't give up on the CVA Scout in 444 Marlin. I too once owned a CVA Scout in 44 Mag and accuracy was poor. I used Winchester White Box 240 gr SP, which was very accurate in my Ruger semiauto and, unfortunately, neither this brand of ammo nor a couple others that I tried were good in the CVA. At the distances at which I typically shoot deer/hogs, the CVA was probably accurate enough but I still wanted something better. So, a couple of years ago I bought a CVA Scout V2 stainless with 25" barrel and muzzle break in 444 Marlin. This was a vast improvement over the CVA Scout in 44 Mag. Accuracy is exceptional (especially with Hornady's 265gr FP bullet) either handloaded or using Hornady's Superperformance ammo w/the same bullet. This has become my main deer/hog hunting weapon. Also, the factory trigger is very good. I cannot comment on other rifles but I am well pleased with CVA's V2 Scout. I understand CVA makes another version of the Scout in 444 Marlin without the muzzle break but I don't have any experience with these.

H
H
I was at the range yesterday with my relatively new Traditions Outfitter G3 in 44mag. Up until yesterday I'd been sighting it with a red dot, only shooting at 50 yards and was fairly consistently getting 1.25-1.5" groups. Because my vision isn't great in my shooting eye, I never see the red dot as a crystal clear dot; more like a star flare. However I managed. But I wanted to try it out at 100yds and would never be able to see the target clearly enough with the red dot for that to work, so I mounted a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5 on it.

Once I got it sighted in at 50 yards, I moved out to 100 and first chronographed my load; 1925fps avg with 265gr Hornady FP with an ES of only 30fps over 5 shots fired less than a minute apart; a stout load but apparently consistent. OAL is extended out .140" so that the bullet is just off the lands.

I had 40 rounds loaded, all the same. The plan was to confirm the load performed well and was sighted in for 150yd zero, then put them away for hunting season. Suffice to say, I fired almost all of them trying to figure out why they were stringing vertically so dramatically. We're talking going from zero'd to as much as 8 inches high over 3 shots at 100 yards. Horizontal zero was spectacularly consistent and dead on with first two shots of one group touching, but I've never seen such extreme vertical stinging!

I think I've concluded that the stringing is likely due to the barrel heating up quite quickly and affecting pressure on the barrel from the forearm, which is bolted to it with a single bolt. I think it's unlikely that it's the scope because every time I would make an up/down adjustment chasing the stringing, the impact of the first shot of a new group would move accordingly. I also have a lot of confidence in the consistency of Leupold scopes based on many year's experience.

Because this rifle is intended to be an all-weather bush gun for hunting, it's really only the first shot being absolutely reliable that I actually care about, but I'd like to be able to prove to myself that my theory is correct.

Any wisdom to share? (And I ask this being aware that I'm sort of hi-jacking the OP's thread, however thinking that this might also enlighten the original post as well)

Last edited by HarpBoy; 07/05/22.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Hard cast lead...phfft

You don't like shooting cast? Why?

I didn't say that I don't like cast, just shot some earlier today.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What I have no use for is hard cast bullets.

Well you should see what we do with "hard cast" in the 30BR in cast bullet association matches.
When shot head to head with breech seat rifles scores and groups are similar.
The first 20 years I cast all I had was linotype. And I shot just as good groups as anyone I shot with in rifles and pistols.

Last edited by Cbashooter; 07/07/22.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.