Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I’ve had two Montecs snap off in the shaft, from “stump” shooting over the years - when I got back into bow hunting.

Granted - it’s not what they were designed to do, but I generally picked a rotten log or soft stump, and could get the arrow out without much effort.

I personally couldn’t get them to fly right again if I “dinged” the blade edge practicing. Between that and not really liking the effort to keep an edge on one - I dropped them for Rage in the East, and Slick Tricks in the West.

Hunting partner has killed two elk with Montecs - so they work, but IMWV.

But - confessions of a gear junkie - I’m trying the Sevrs this year as well.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/03/22.
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by higher_figure
QAD Exodus. Really like how well it flies. Very durable and has been deadly

My son and I both shoot the QAD Exodus and love the things. They are easy to tune for, fly like a bullet, penetrate and kill extremely well. We have about three dozen kills and have no complaints with the Exodus.

Old bow Bud of mine that keeps a hard eye on all things archery told me about them more than 4 years ago, pointed me to a utube video of QAD owner shooting through a lot of heavy game in Africa, plenty good enough for me, it's a damn tough, straight flying, deep penetrating head.

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There were a lot of Montec made in china knockoffs sold a few years back, They crumpled almost instantly on game. The original packaging and the knockoff packaging was hard to differentiate.

I know of only one guy that shoots them exclusively out of a Ravin R20 and has not had an issue , and he kills more deer and hogs in one year then most hunters do in a few.

But - confessions of a gear junkie - I’m trying the Sevrs this year as well.

Sevr's fly great out of my Xbow , now if I only could get a deer to run into them. 125 grain 2.0

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was introduced to TH 125's when I first started, G5 Montecs, Muzzy, Wasps, have all done the job for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500

My son and I both shoot the QAD Exodus and love the things. They are easy to tune for, fly like a bullet, penetrate and kill extremely well. We have about three dozen kills and have no complaints with the Exodus.

Old bow Bud of mine that keeps a hard eye on all things archery told me about them more than 4 years ago, pointed me to a utube video of QAD owner shooting through a lot of heavy game in Africa, plenty good enough for me, it's a damn tough, straight flying, deep penetrating head.

One other thing I have noticed about the Exodus is that they are quiet in flight. Some broadheads make a lot of noise going downrange. Not the Exodus. I have stood behind my house where I am completely protected yet can hear a broadhead as my son shot past the house to a target down range. The way my yard lays out he can be shooting at 30, 40, 50 yards to a target and I can stand protected behind the corner of the house 20 yards from the target. In that way I can listen for the arrow coming from 10-30 yards away. It's shocking how loud some broadheads are.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Wenzle Woodsman or Ace Standard in modern heads but I shoot a bunch of older heads also. I shot Rocky Mountains for years then switched to the one piece heads. I shoot an old Martin recurved limbed compound and an assortment of long bows. Still have my all wood round wheel Browning bows but I no longer hunt them.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 07/04/22.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Slick Tricks.

Have used WASP and Muzzy in the past - not bad but I won the ST's and just never went back

Me

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Muzzy Trocar 100gr has been my go to, but they always seem to get bent when i shoot something. Switched this year to the G5 Stricker v2 so i can replace the blades a little easier if they get bent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Windknot
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

I quit shooting the Montecs right then and there.

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

I, obviously, never recovered the head. So I can't guarantee it didn't cave or crumple. But, I am certain they were USA-made heads.

I ran the first one I shot behind the shoulder of a nearly broadside 8-pointer. Worked just as expected. But, even before the failure on the next buck.......... I looked at the way the blades on the Montec form the point and something just didn't sit right with me. Like there was some quality there that wouldn't work well on a hard quartering shot. Lo and behold...............

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

I, obviously, never recovered the head. So I can't guarantee it didn't cave or crumple. But, I am certain they were USA-made heads.

I ran the first one I shot behind the shoulder of a nearly broadside 8-pointer. Worked just as expected. But, even before the failure on the next buck.......... I looked at the way the blades on the Montec form the point and something just didn't sit right with me. Like there was some quality there that wouldn't work well on a hard quartering shot. Lo and behold...............

Unless you’re a sponsored pro, I don’t know but two,three guys that shoot a Montec anymore.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Currently I am using VPA three blade with my recurves, compounds and xbow. They get nice and sharp and stay that way easily.
See no reason to change.

Muzzy 100/125 was a go-to for years. Started out a long time ago with WASP's with super high profile blades. Made BIG holes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Unless you’re a sponsored pro, I don’t know but two,three guys that shoot a Montec anymore.

When they hit the market I loved the idea. And they flew like freakin' field points !!! But there's just something about the design geometry that started to bug me before I had my failure............

Apparently I'm not alone.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

When they hit the market I loved the idea. And they flew like freakin' field points !!! But there's just something about the design geometry that started to bug me before I had my failure............

Apparently I'm not alone.

IMHO - you’re not.

I agree - with a good tuned bow, they followed the field point POI very well.

But, if the blade sharpening changed any of the surfaces, a Montec would start to wander away from the rest of the group. I started numbering arrows to make sure it wasn’t me.

I dinged a number of blades in practice, and that usually meant the head was done, as taking the blade back an edge usually affected the flight as well.

YMMV

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

One other thing I have noticed about the Exodus is that they are quiet in flight. Some broadheads make a lot of noise going downrange. Not the Exodus. I have stood behind my house where I am completely protected yet can hear a broadhead as my son shot past the house to a target down range. The way my yard lays out he can be shooting at 30, 40, 50 yards to a target and I can stand protected behind the corner of the house 20 yards from the target. In that way I can listen for the arrow coming from 10-30 yards away. It's shocking how loud some broadheads are.

It's a damn small world, i put Wife at the corner of the house behind the bricks, had her looking at my broadhead target, told her when she heard me fire would she have time to move, said she didnt hear anything but the arrow striking the target, and this was 40 yards away, good stuff man.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muzzy 100gr here.

For years I used Zwickey Deltas (later Eskimo) with aluminum-swaged arrows.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wensel Woodsmans

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used dozens of different brands over the past many decades. I switched to Slick Tricks about 15 (?) years ago and found them so much easier to tune than others that I never tried anything else. I open to trying others; but, testing multiple different brands has become so expensive I just haven't found the need or desire to try others. That is why threads like this can be so helpful.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve used many different broad heads over the last 28 years:

Bear Razorhead
Zwicky Eskimo and Delta both 2 and 4 blade
Wensel Woodsman/Woodsman Elite
Wensel Razorcap (No longer made) 3 blade SS head similar in size to a Rothaar Snuffer
Magnus 4 Blade
Zephyr Sasquatch
Grizzlystik Sliver Flame XL
Grizlystik Maasai Single Bevel

All were screwed onto an arrow that weighed more than five hundred grains, mostly propelled by a 55-65# recurve bow. I used the Silver Flame XL out of my 70# Mathews this Spring, resulted in a dead bird after about three steps.

I had one deer I hit square in the shoulder with a Woodsman. Peeled that needle point straight back got about 6” penetration. Killed the buck but left very little blood. Shot in the evening…We found him a day later but someone else did first and cut his horns off. The last one I shot with a Woodsman thru the. “12 ring” stuck in the ground after going thru and he dropped in sight leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow.

Isaiah 6:8

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SKane
Muzzy 100gr here.

For years I used Zwickey Deltas (later Eskimo) with aluminum-swaged arrows.

still my all time favorite broadhead Zwickeys ! matter fact a purchased a slower x-bow so i could still use Zwickey Broadheads , my last deer i shot with a bow when i still could draw the bow 4 years ago i shot a huge old 8 pt. shot a Zickey Eskimo broadhead in DECEMBER 10 below that day and had just talked to the owner of Zwickey broadheads the same week and now he is gone . but i did learn some history of the Zwickey factory like Fred Bear did at one time also shot Zwickey broadheads before he made his own brand Bear broadhead.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

It's a damn small world, i put Wife at the corner of the house behind the bricks, had her looking at my broadhead target, told her when she heard me fire would she have time to move, said she didnt hear anything but the arrow striking the target, and this was 40 yards away, good stuff man.
We’ve got the same setup at my house out to 70 yards. Our main target is alongside a monster oak tree five yards in front of that target. You can stand , facing the target, shooter to your back, and listen for the arrow. It’s amazing how noisy some broadheads are….easy to hear in time to jump if you needed to. A deer’s senses and reflexes are about eleventy hundred times faster obviously so it’s no wonder how they are able to jump the string.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
377 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.