Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tsavo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
After 25 years living here this time, we left Alaska on 28jUN22, maybe for good. Arrived in Idaho yesterday. Plan on settling in and making our final stand in Idaho due to La Familia. Figure time was right to get out while the getting was good.

Wife and I are retired and have payed our dues. I know better than to say never say never and having moved back up to Alaska more than once we plan on making it stick this time and plant permanent roots.

As an Alaska State Trooper, I was fortunate to serve all over the state So far, sure do like Idaho and being surrounded by like minded individuals with similar beliefs and values. Alaska has been good for us, after 40 years accumulated in the Great Land it was time to
get back to the road system and closer to civilization.

I try to never look back, but Alaska definitely gets into your blood and will always be missed. Ever grateful for our time in the Last Frontier. I think I know what is coming and pray for you SourDoughs who will stick it out. TS

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interesting, I spent 33 years in Alaska, then moved to Idaho for 9 years. Headed back to Alaska this fall. Just bought a house up there. Bottom line is FAMILY.

Welcome to Idaho and thanks for your service.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Tsavo
After 25 years living here this time, we left Alaska on 28jUN22, maybe for good. Arrived in Idaho yesterday. Plan on settling in and making our final stand in Idaho due to La Familia. Figure time was right to get out while the getting was good.

Wife and I are retired and have payed our dues. I know better than to say never say never and having moved back up to Alaska more than once we plan on making it stick this time and plant permanent roots.

As an Alaska State Trooper, I was fortunate to serve all over the state So far, sure do like Idaho and being surrounded by like minded individuals with similar beliefs and values. Alaska has been good for us, after 40 years accumulated in the Great Land it was time to

I try to never look back, but Alaska definitely gets into your blood and will always be missed. Ever grateful for our time in the Last Frontier. I think I know what is coming and pray for you SourDoughs who will stick it out. TS

I think you'll like Idaho. Ive worked some over the years with Al ST. Top notch group

Good luck

Last edited by ribka; 07/08/22.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Condolences and good luck.

46 years and counting. My sig line says it all for me.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

What sig line? Just to let you know “Quote” and “Reply” isn’t a sig line.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thank you for your service to the Great State of Alaska! AST are a different breed, so far all my interactions with them has been very good. Wish you the best in Idaho! If you are in eastern Idaho (Idaho falls area) shoot me a pm.

Last edited by 79S; 07/08/22.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Family is a powerful draw. Spent 25 years in the GREAT State of Wyoming before retiring and moving back to my native Upper Peninsula of Michigan. As much as I miss the elk bugles I wouldn't trade them for the time I now spend with grand children, PRICELESS.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After 30 years and 3 kids in Alaska I retired and my wife and I moved to New Mexico. It took about a year and a half before I came to my senses and started to wonder why the hell we left Alaska. It took another year, but now we're back and there's no way we'll ever leave again. I know several people that left and it all worked out for them....also know a few that left and ended up back in 2 to 3 years.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Ok, I gotta ask, based on your post. What is "coming" that AK residents have to watch out for? BTW, the only AK state trooper I've met was Joe, who flew his plane in to check my camp and license while I hunted moose in the Bristol Bay area. He was really nice and a credit to the force. Best wishes.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S

Do you have them turned off in your settings?

It shows on my device and settings. Anyway, for the luddites,

--ironbender

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Huh.
I see “ Non Gratus Anus Rodentum.”

NM, I see you were referencing your own sig line now.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 07/08/22. Reason: NM
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it was time to
TS

Can I ever relate to this comment..

Now, not a day goes by that I don't ask myself why.
The most probable thing in my life that's subject to change.

It's hard to stay away.

Best of luck TS.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I feel for you. In 2013, we moved to this shidt hole state because of family. 18 years in AK.

Wife said she wants to bring the daughter up to see where she was born and all. Told her if I go, I'll only need a 1 way ticket.

Miss AK as much now as I did the day we flew out

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I feel for you. In 2013, we moved to this shidt hole state because of family. 18 years in AK.

Wife said she wants to bring the daughter up to see where she was born and all. Told her if I go, I'll only need a 1 way ticket.

Miss AK as much now as I did the day we flew out
.and Alaska misses you and all others that share your sentiments. For The Great Land...
Still shooting your 480 or do I have you mixed up with another?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Do you have them turned off in your settings?

It shows on my device and settings. Anyway, for the luddites,

--ironbender

It must be just on my phone, on my computer I see mine and yours.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I fell on the sword and did a 1-year tour in Korea to comeback to Alaska. 2008 pcs'ed up here with my family to Ft Richardson, 2013 got my marching orders out of here left Dec 2013 it was a sad day. PCS'ed to Fort Carson, Colorado, everyone oh you will love it is almost like Alaska. We get there and I'm like just like Alaska?? Where's all the trees at? My wife and daughter made it a whopping 10 months before they rang the bell and said we are going back to Alaska. So loaded them up with a U-haul trailer in tow October 2014 drove back up to Alaska. I'm still at Carson, 2016 I call my branch manager asking about Alaska he goes I have nothing for Alaska, but I do have Korea. I go, if I go to Korea can I get back to Alaska, he said he do whatever he had to do get me back to Alaska. I PCS to Korea Dec 21st 2016 (yes I flew to Korea on December 21st) Well, branch manager gets selected for sgm academy , the new branch manager is a good friend of mine. I call him, he goes I got you covered brother you will be put on assignment next week back to Alaska. I got back here Dec 2017, 4 days later I signed into Ft Richardson/JBER Dec 2020 I retired. I don't have plans to leave anytime soon.

Last edited by 79S; 07/09/22.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only worked in various locations in Alaska and didn't actually "see" it or experiance it as it was 100% work. Grew up in Idaho and live here now. Unfortunately it's very crowded and basically annexed by Washington and California. I freaking hate it. I hate the ATV and RV people who come here and hate the hoardes of non res hunters and hate the crime and drug abuse. Question is now where do I go? Maybe Siberia?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
. . . I hate the ATV and RV people who come here and hate the hoardes of non res hunters and hate the crime and drug abuse. Question is now where do I go? Maybe Siberia?

Sir if you find a decent place to go, PM me and let
me know. After my family being here since the
Republic days, I'm getting close to being ready to
evacuate my own self. I was kinda hoping with the string
of 100° + days we've had, I had hoped many would
get frustrated and start discussing going
"back home"
( lord I have to hear that sh*t all the time " we did this
back home, or that back home. It snows all the time
back home. It's not this hot back home, etc. etc.")

Last edited by Ranger99; 07/08/22.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I went outside 15 years ago. Unless it was to Cody, Tulsa, or Vegas, I probably won’t go. I had 4 years on the East coast and that was enough.

Last edited by kaboku68; 07/09/22.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You guys (and me) aren't hard-core yet. A guy I grew up with in ND, came up about the same time I did - finally ran into him 30 years later in Fbks at the Sourdough Cafe.

That was 15 years or so ago. I haven't seen him since. He has a lodge up in the Brooks somewhere.

He told me "I try not to go south of the Alaska Range, unless it's Antarctica". He's been there 3 times, including flying his light plane over the South Pole. (Also did the North Pole).

Last edited by las; 07/09/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.