Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17407060 07/09/22
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Considering buying a bivy sack. I normally use my MSR hubba bubba 2 person tent. It is very comfortable, has alot of gear storage and has been a very solid tent. It is fairly light.

I'm hunting an area this fall that is 3-4 miles from the truck and considering throwing my sleeping bag, pad, and a bit of food in the pack and spend 2-3 days in there instead of hiking in/out every day. My fall back is to go in a day early and set my tent up and hunt from there. But shaving a few lbs is never a bad idea.

I'm looking at the Outdoor Research Alpine bivy. Most reviews indicate it's bullet proof. What are you all using?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have and like the one you mention. Have used it on several outings and it’s been quite good. I’ve used it for three years.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is it the older Goretex version or the newer Ascentshell?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The OR stuff is good. Plenty of offerings: Black Diamond, etc.

I have a North Face Assault bivy. Very basic, envelope-style.

Mostly a back up item for me.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an older Outdoor Research Bivy, it’s small, works well for times when you want to check a place that’s farther than can be comfortably hiked in a day. If I’m exhausted the tight quarters don’t bother me. I prefer to keep it for only overnight use, more than that I go bigger.

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mine is the Goretex model I believe, bought about three years ago.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have you slept in a bivy before? If not can you borrow one before you buy? Despite the practical advantages they aren't for everyone .. possibly including me. I found that a flat / non-hooped bivy triggers a kind of claustrophobia I didn't know I had. I freak the "f" out when that mesh lays down on my face and I perceive air restriction. OTOH I use a hooped bug bivy in summer and fall with no issue so the trick is finding the sweet spot in between. I haven't yet. My notion is a bivy with a hoop over my head and preferably over the foot .. ideally with a ridgeline .. and optional unzip at the foot for air flow would be pretty ideal. The only one I've found that fits the description is heavier than I want.

If you don't have any issues with breathing in one then TiGoat makes some pretty nice stuff. Raven Omni would be my first choice.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've considered the hoop in bivy's and can say, it will be a hopped version. Both the OR bivy's I've looked at had the hoop. No bueno on netting on my face.

I've also considered weather and have almost talked myself out of a bivy. The 4 season hoop versions weigh 16-30 oz. My tent only weighs 3.5 lbs. Plus in a bivy, there is no area for boots and other "stuff". I'm wondering what you do with wet gear in a bivy. Wear it dry I'm guessing. I'm leaning toward going g in the evening before, set up my tent and using it to base from instead of being 100% mobile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bivy sack does not work for me, sold it and bought a three season bivy tent. With a rain fly it weighs 3.2 lbs. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Couple years back I did 5 days in a bivy. It rained every day, and was really not all that fun. I kept my gear under a tarp, but still... get wet getting in, get wet getting out, put on your rain gear and stand around...

We were socked in virtually the entire time, and I was losing my mind. Not that a tent would have been much better, but at least you could move around a bit. I like the bivy for emergency overnight, and maybe a 2 night max planned stay. Don't think I'll ever break my 5 day record.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
With the ability to buy two person tents that are in the 2lb-3lb weight range, a bivy doesn't make my list.

Kuiu mountain star is 3lbs 5oz. Two person, two vestibule, mansion for one.

If you have two people split it up between the two of you...

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 07/12/22.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bill:

Over the years, I've tried a variety of options. I own an OR Bivy sack without a hoop. I bought, tried out, and sent back a Eureka hoop type bivvy tent. But I think I have arrived at the conclusion that, if one is going to go minimalist, then the best option is a simple single-wall wedge dome, like this one.
Wedge Dome Tent

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

I have a funny story regarding when I used this type of tent. I had backpacked into Upper Sand Creek Lake in the Sangre De Cristos. I setup the tent on a little grassy knoll. It looked real inviting but had no trees or Bushes for wind protection. In the middle of the night, one of those infamous wind storms that frequent the Sangres, hit that little tent. For most of the night, the tent was pushed down onto my face by the wind. But the little tent popped right back up, in the morning, when the wind subsided. I don't own it any more. I wonder what happened to that little tent? It was cheap. Probably self destructed?

Last edited by KC; 07/12/22.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bivys work great in good weather. They suck in any sort of precipitation unless you pitch a tarp over them. Maybe a bivy plus tarp is lighter than a tent, maybe not. Without the tarp over your bivy, you can't change in or out of wet clothes. I have a nice one but use it pretty sparingly. Given the choice between a tarp plus a sleeping bag and a bivy plus a sleeping bag I'll bring the tarp every time.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
KC - I saw it last time I was in Kansas. There was a witch riding a bike behind it....... grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have both Seek Outside DST tarp and the Seek Outside Eolus. I used to use a OR bivy but it leaves much to be desired. The Seek tents/tarps weigh pretty close to the weight of many bivy. I do carry a lighweight Bora Gear bivy (5 ounces) for use under these floorless shelters when I know its going to be really wet.

If I were to replace either it would be with a Seek Outside Silex. Both the Silex and Eolus provide much better coverage than a tarp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an old MLD eVENT bivy that see's limited use anymore (mostly winter in snow shelters) with the advent of cuben shelters. The MLD bivy weighs 12 oz (the OR Alpine bivy you mentioned is 2 lbs!), my solo cuben tent weighs 18 oz with stakes- replete with bathtub floor, decent vestibule, bug netting and plenty of room to stretch out- doesn't make much sense for a bivy with these features for roughly the same weight (or less than some bivies).

The only advantage I see with a bivy is the size of the footprint; if you were planning on camping in very craggy/rocky areas (maybe mtn goat hunting???) then it might make sense. My shelter has a pretty small footprint and hasn't been a problem finding a place to set it up.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What is your cuban tent?

I agree, I think the best use for bivy is steep country.
Finding a level spot to set up even a small tent can be a challenge.

I hate constantly sliding off my pad, keeps me awake far too much.

Hunting up around Stanley,Id. in some not too far from home places, [when I lived in Meridian,ID.] I planned on taking a small shovel and digging out some level spots, but never did.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it's Tarptent Aeon Li.

A couple of years ago on a early season elk hunt, I was sitting above a spring (the only water probably in 3-ish square miles); I made camp on a small ledge (steep enough on the one side, I slide a log next to me so I wouldn't inadvertently go over the edge)- tent wouldn't have worked in that spot, the bivy was just right though. I was able to glass until nightfall, get up in the dark and eat breakfast able to watch the spring laying in my bag/bivy. Of course the forecast was very favorable for that trip; bad weather in a bivy is really bad laugh

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll give the Aeon L a look.

I have a HS Tarptent, Contrail, it's my favorite 'mildish' weather tent.
I had a spot down in the Owyhee Desert sw,Idaho where I could glass a natural spring that attracted lots of critters. Only water around the area.
I found two low-rise boulders that held me in a hammock, just high enough to be off the ground. That and a small 8x6' tarp for shade was a great spot, killed a few coyotes from the spot. Nice and level unlike yours.

Thanks for the info.,

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think it's about 28oz. .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Contrail is solid shelter, my buddy has one smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah. Had a Contrail, have a ProTrail. I'd love to have something that good in a side-opener. Wasn't a thing when I was younger but now that I'm older and stiffer, getting in and out of the big end of a tapered tent, then getting turned around to get feet to the small end is more of a pain in the ass than I'd have imagined. After a real long, hard day of hiking that little maneuver can be the final straw for throwing a hamstring cramp. F-u-c-k .. I hate cramps.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ all my shelters are now side opening, even my winter tent laugh

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is your opinion on using the Tarptent Aeon Li for late Oct, early Nov elk hunts?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
What is your opinion on using the Tarptent Aeon Li for late Oct, early Nov elk hunts?

I've had mine out in some pretty rough weather, but I don't think I'd choose it if snow is in the forecast. I've had it out in light snow and it's done fine. I've had it in some pretty windy conditions as well, but there are definitely more bomber tents out there for "bad" weather.

I purchased a used Tarptent Stratospire Li last year and that's the shelter I'd probably grab for late October (in Montana anyways). Has more room, double walled, double vestibules and stands up to rougher weather better. Still pretty svelte at under 2 lbs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember a thread about the Paratarp, Kifaru had a vestibule for it, you used sewing pins the pins with heads on them to hold stuff in place.

A guy used the set-up in some sporty winds, had quite a few nice little holes from the pins every few inches. He wasn't happy with the vestibule pinned on deal.

Last edited by ol_mike; 07/23/22.

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

627 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,254
Posts18,448,097
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.