Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've been shooting mine for years. I can easily put mine in 6"circle 4 hundred yds with 180 boattail.. Or I should say I use to. But now at 75 years I'm not steady like I use to be.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow dredged up from 13 years ago!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Wow dredged up from 13 years ago!

Yeah, I don't believe the op ever ended up with a 300WSM either??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still have my Lilja 3 grooved one.
Shooting 165gr solid bases out of it now. It shoots awesome !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by splattermatic

All of them I've had have shot very well. My buddy had one that shot like schidt when he got it. It was a copper fouling sob. A pre Portuguese BACO extreme weather. Shot 4" groups when he got it with all ammo he tried. Not cheap ammo either. He got pizzed and just roasted the hell out of the barrel. Sending one right after the other. Supposedly a couple hundred rounds down the tube in one afternoon. Him and a couple buddies. Well, it shoots pretty good now. Surprisingly very well actually, but the other day he was telling me he was having issues with brass splitting at the neck. He asked If I've seen that with any of the 300WSM's I've had and I said NO. He said he thinks its a common problem. I said, I don't think so. I said, you roasted the barrel man.. My current 300WSM doesn't have a scope on it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
With a Burris FFII 3-9x40 it weighs in right around 7 pounds... ^^^

Its a sweet rifle. Eventually I'll go back to it, but it's a confirmed excellent shooter. It may go on the chopping block as well. My 300 magnum collection is pretty big right now.. Ughh...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I could believe the barrel needed some rounds to smooth out.

I’d also wonder if it’s WW or Federal ammo. Had those same issues with my 270 WSM back in the day.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I could believe the barrel needed some rounds to smooth out.

I’d also wonder if it’s WW or Federal ammo. Had those same issues with my 270 WSM back in the day.

He's tried Nosler, HSM, Hornady, Winchester, Remington, and some other brands as well. I believe it is most types now that are giving him issues after about the second firing. He's been using Hornady precision hunter as of late.. I'm sure the barrel was rough, plus maybe the bedding was not perfect. After firing that many times in a row, it settled in.. He said he was "either going to burn it out, or it was going to shoot better afterwards". Funny thing is he had to have "new" at the time. I tried convincing him to buy a used rifle here that Josh303 had for sale that was s confirmed shooter, but he didn't want to have anything to do with a "used" rifle. Some people man... I love buying used rifles. I enjoy working on them, fixing them up and accurizing them..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those Tubbs bullets work good for barrels like that. Plus they’re a pile cheaper.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The FN PBR you sold to selmer here, was that a 300WSM or 308?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 3 groove, is a custom on a model 70 la.
Has a real pretty, thumbhole stock.

Last edited by splattermatic; 07/11/22.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks, I couldn't remember. The one I had was 300WSM and one of the best shooting rifles I've had. I regret selling it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've killed at least a half dozen mule deer bucks, two 5 point bull elk, a nice pronghorn buck at 550 and a moose at 547 all with a 300 wsm. If there is such thing as an inherently accurate cartridge it's the 300 wsm. I love the way the 215 berger hybrids fly and they hit hard.

A 7mm is the only thing I like better for long range. My 28 nosler shooting 180 elds at 3200 out performs the 300 at long range. I still prefer my 300 wsm for most hunts because it's lighter and shorter barrel handles better.

Bb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

554 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 59 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,910
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.