G
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by higher_figure
QAD Exodus. Really like how well it flies. Very durable and has been deadly

My son and I both shoot the QAD Exodus and love the things. They are easy to tune for, fly like a bullet, penetrate and kill extremely well. We have about three dozen kills and have no complaints with the Exodus.

Old bow Bud of mine that keeps a hard eye on all things archery told me about them more than 4 years ago, pointed me to a utube video of QAD owner shooting through a lot of heavy game in Africa, plenty good enough for me, it's a damn tough, straight flying, deep penetrating head.

One other thing I have noticed about the Exodus is that they are quiet in flight. Some broadheads make a lot of noise going downrange. Not the Exodus. I have stood behind my house where I am completely protected yet can hear a broadhead as my son shot past the house to a target down range. The way my yard lays out he can be shooting at 30, 40, 50 yards to a target and I can stand protected behind the corner of the house 20 yards from the target. In that way I can listen for the arrow coming from 10-30 yards away. It's shocking how loud some broadheads are.

It's a damn small world, i put Wife at the corner of the house behind the bricks, had her looking at my broadhead target, told her when she heard me fire would she have time to move, said she didnt hear anything but the arrow striking the target, and this was 40 yards away, good stuff man.
We’ve got the same setup at my house out to 70 yards. Our main target is alongside a monster oak tree five yards in front of that target. You can stand , facing the target, shooter to your back, and listen for the arrow. It’s amazing how noisy some broadheads are….easy to hear in time to jump if you needed to. A deer’s senses and reflexes are about eleventy hundred times faster obviously so it’s no wonder how they are able to jump the string.

You bet GD57, sounds like a nice setup, i used to shoot the G5 Striker Magnum, hellacious bloody destructive head, but holy damn it was loud, didnt fly really good for me at extended ranges of 50-60 yards.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't go cheap on broadheads.
From my compound days, I shot Wasp. The latest being Wasp Drones. Steel ferrel.
I also had good luck with Excalibur Boltcutters on a crossbow.
Now I carry the recurve about 95% of the time so I use Shuffers in carbon steel. I never find a stainless head that sharpens as well as carbon.
I shoot a high performance recurve with enough energy that I don't worry about penetration with a 3 blade. For bows with lower performance, hard to beat 2 blade Zwickey

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Started with Bear Razorheads....125 Grain out of an old Jennings wheel bow. Moved to Satellite 3 blade 125 grain out of the Bear Alaskan Cam Bow. With the "New bow", I've been shooting 75 Grain Wasp Jak-Hammers. Been shooting the new bow since 1999. It seems to work.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Windknot
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

I quit shooting the Montecs right then and there.

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

I Find the talk about the Montec broadheads to be interesting. I’ve never killed anything with the G5 or the Striker. I’ve always used Thunderheads. For the last couple of years, I’ve had my arrows set up with the strikers. I actually shot some G5’s in practice the other day and they shoot exactly like my field points, so I’m thinking about using them.

The thing I find interesting is the talk about them failing, breaking or whatever. Years ago, I shot an arrow in my backyard that missed the target and hit the cinder block wall with the Montec G5. I couldn’t get it out of the wall and even tried chipping some of the cinderblock away. Finally just gave up and unscrewed the arrow and left it there. I figure if it can do what it did to the cinder block wall, I shouldn’t have any problem killing an elk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

I Find the talk about the Montec broadheads to be interesting. I’ve never killed anything with the G5 or the Striker. I’ve always used Thunderheads. For the last couple of years, I’ve had my arrows set up with the strikers. I actually shot some G5’s in practice the other day and they shoot exactly like my field points, so I’m thinking about using them.

The thing I find interesting is the talk about them failing, breaking or whatever. Years ago, I shot an arrow in my backyard that missed the target and hit the cinder block wall with the Montec G5. I couldn’t get it out of the wall and even tried chipping some of the cinderblock away. Finally just gave up and unscrewed the arrow and left it there. I figure if it can do what it did to the cinder block wall, I shouldn’t have any problem killing an elk.

My particular (and fatal) beef with the Montec was in its failure to penetrate on a hard angle shot. Period.

I killed several deer with the Montec, including a pretty good 8-pointer with ZERO issues. BUT.......those were all textbook broadside or nearly broadside shots. And, I'll totally back the claim that they fly like your field points. They did for me too. But when I watched one fail miserably on a close-range hard quartering shot on a DANG big buck for this area.............that was enough for me. There's a whole bunch of cliches that come to mind here. But #1. is "Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me twice.....shame on me". And, #2 is "There's lots more fish (broadheads) in the ocean".

Confidence in one's equipment is HUGE in bowhunting. I just got rid of the unknown (untrusted) quantity in my equation.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My particular (and fatal) beef with the Montec was in its failure to penetrate on a hard angle shot. Period.

I killed several deer with the Montec, including a pretty good 8-pointer with ZERO issues. BUT.......those were all textbook broadside or nearly broadside shots. And, I'll totally back the claim that they fly like your field points. They did for me too. But when I watched one fail miserably on a close-range hard quartering shot on a DANG big buck for this area.............that was enough for me. There's a whole bunch of cliches that come to mind here. But #1. is "Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me twice.....shame on me". And, #2 is "There's lots more fish (broadheads) in the ocean".

Confidence in one's equipment is HUGE in bowhunting. I just got rid of the unknown (untrusted) quantity in my equation.

How bad was the angle? Enough for the back of a blade to hit a rib before the tip?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How bad was the angle? Enough for the back of a blade to hit a rib before the tip?

No. I don't believe BEFORE. But, I do believe TOO SOON. That was always the thing that made me a little queasy about the Montec from the get-go. The fact that all 3 blades gain purchase instantly upon contact. The Montec has more mass to bury SOONER than any other head I can think of. I believe the point did hit first but was steered outward as the rear portion of the blade "rode" the rib ........sliding the head inside the hide but outside the ribcage.

Please note, when I refer to a "hard angle shot", I'm not referring to a shot that should have been iffy (I'll let iffy shot walk and try again tomorrow). At least not with any other head I've ever used. This particular shot SHOULD have been left liver, left lung, heart and out the far armpit. And WOULD (in my estimation) have been with any other head I ever shot.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I shoot iron will solid broadheads. I wanted a fixed blade to not have to worry about potential for mechanical failure. I chose iron will because of their materials. They fly very similar to field points (and they look cool lol)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
100 Gr Slicks. wink

-Ken

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
It’s about time to get them out

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use The older style Steel Force Premier,100 gr . The have penetrated well and flew true . I have never had issues getting them to fly right. I have killed deer, including a sika deer hind that weighed maybe 40 lbs ,to a 6x6 bull elk that weigh probably 650-700 with them. Never a Broadhead issue......

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Thanks, I just saw this. I'll just stay with my NAP Killzone or Spitfires!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Rage!!

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
G5 Megameats and Annihilator XL's for me. I've had luck with them

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a xbow four years ago. Tried Muzzy 125gr 3-blades because they were ones I’d heard about for years, and I liked the idea of the cutting tip. Six deer later, no complaints. They fly like the field tips, kill well, and are cheap to boot. I’ve only found two bolts out of the six because they sail right on through until they hit the ground.

Couldn’t believe the entrance wound on the first one I killed. Two years ago I made a hasty shot on a buck that clipped the underside of the spine. The blade that made contact was distorted along the edge, but stayed in place and didn’t break, so I have to assume it’s strong enough for deer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I use The older style Steel Force Premier,100 gr . The have penetrated well and flew true . I have never had issues getting them to fly right. I have killed deer, including a sika deer hind that weighed maybe 40 lbs ,to a 6x6 bull elk that weigh probably 650-700 with them. Never a Broadhead issue......

My experience with the Steelforce 100's, as well. I don't see you OR me ever having a broadhead issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ramcat hydroshock are great.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Bear Razorheads. Fred killed more with them that most of us ever will.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used 100gr 3 blade Muzzys for 25 years. Old reliable and a good broadhead.

When I bought my crossbow about 8 years ago, I switched to Rage 2. They're vicious. I still have some Muzzys kicking around that I'll use if I run out of Rage 2's.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 08/27/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my recurve, long bow days always 2 blade Bear and Zwickey. When I shot compound Thunderheads. I'll be hunting with a crossbow this fall and have Excalibur Boltcutters which fly very well. Never a kill, recovery issue with any broadhead kept sharp and put in the heart n lungs.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.