Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm getting the itch for another caliber I've never shot before. Been looking at some WSM calibers in my ancient Nosler & Hornady Manuals, but have no one locally to ask about their opinions, and thinking about a 270WSM or ? for a walk about shooter. Tried a Wby SS 7Rmg once upon a time and sold it 'cause it weighed a lot more than I was comfortable with. Most of my magnum experience was with an early M70 SS 300WinMg, that I never should have sold. Snooze Ya Looze.
Ron

Last edited by sakoron; 07/10/22. Reason: spaeling ain't too gooder anymore
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Seen any ammo? Seen any brass?

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I used a M70 in .325 WSM for years as my primary hunting rifle the only possible downside was only having 3 cartridges under the bolt.

I think a .270 or 7mm would be a delightful walking rifle.

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Haven't looked , but Scheel's just north of Dallas is supposed to have some ammo not found elsewhere. I am about 150+ miles south of that store and never been in it.
Ron

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Haven't looked , but Scheel's just north of Dallas is supposed to have some ammo not found elsewhere. I am about 150+ miles south of that store and never been in it.
Ron

IC B2

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Brass can be found, if you have the itch go for it. The 6.5 PRC is basically a WSM light, it’s popular enough brass and ammo should be able to be found.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd put it on hold until you are sure that brass availability in the future won't be a problem. Unless you can get .270 WSM brass easily in the future, I'd also not go 6.8 Western either as a matter of principle or any of the WSM-type cases.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got a 325WSM but the 300WSM would probably be more versatile. I had to make a new reloading case holder as a result of the fat cases.

I got it several years ago before the case shortage and have a bag of unused virgin brass for it. I'm still using range pickup brass that I found in a bin there - was almost 2 full boxes worth, and it was in 300WSM (converts easily to 325WSM). I keep abandoned brass either for use myself or future bartering, the later being the case for the found brass (I found that brass years before I bought the 325WSM).

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had 270, 7mm, 300 wsm and still have 2 270 wsm. I mainly like the wsm in lighter rifles and to me recoil got up there with a 300 wsm in something like a Kimber Montana. Not looked for factory ammo in long while for any but never had issues finding brass for 270 wsm and 300 wsm. The 300 was the 6.5 creedmoor or close to it of a few years ago and the 270 wsm is decently popular but the 7mm wsm never caught on. In any case the 300 and 270 have enough rifles about that ammo availabiltiy should not be a problem at least when makers do their seasonal runs of next tier popular stuff. They are all excellent cartridges that are accurate and easy to load for in my experience. None of them are fast twist of the day but all possess considerably more horse power than say a 6.5 prc until get way out there. Not knocking the 6.5 prc it is just good bit less powder so takes longer to catch uo even with higher bc bullets. So, I prefer the 270 wsm for my purposes in that general power range and bullets I like to use for hunting. Not sure why Riflehunter doesn’t like the 6.8 W but that is another good option. Mine is sub half moa with 165 and 175 factory ammo. Brass and ammo easily available these days and rifles so long as you are ok with Win or Browning or a custom. Others not picked it up yet but it’s just out so expect others will

Lou

S
sakoron Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Back in my Golden Years aka Repping & Hunting as a guest with more than a few invites every year I got to see and shoot lots of different rifles as a guest. I wound up with a pair of rifles in my "Go Bag" that winnowed down to shooters that I could find ammo almost anywhere. So I understand the importance of having easy access to brass and ammo.

My 270's were the everyday workhorse, and were paired with a 300WMg, instead of a 30'06 or 7Rmg . Near the end of my Gun Bidnizz Years I started shooting a 7Rmg instead of the 300WMg with a 2nd shooter in something with lighter recoil like a 260 so's I could work with a host's wife or children.

Picked up an outstanding piece of wood Tikka T3 6.5x55 couple years ago and still have not hunted with it, but it does shoot factory ammo about like I expected it would...just too pretty to get dirty & wet. Swapped a Swede T3 composite that I could not tolerate recoil with my bum shoulder, after they'd it left full of bone spurs after a major surgery....VA finally fixed my shoulder 2+years ago.
Ron

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7WSM, best of the bunch..

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Puddle

Not only that, but they have feeding issues sometimes. The shoulder angle is not conducive to great feeding. Plus they don't hold as much as a comparable standard cartridge. You are at a loss, but if are ok with it, then go ahead..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Lou_270
I have had 270, 7mm, 300 wsm and still have 2 270 wsm. I mainly like the wsm in lighter rifles and to me recoil got up there with a 300 wsm in something like a Kimber Montana. Not looked for factory ammo in long while for any but never had issues finding brass for 270 wsm and 300 wsm. The 300 was the 6.5 creedmoor or close to it of a few years ago and the 270 wsm is decently popular but the 7mm wsm never caught on. In any case the 300 and 270 have enough rifles about that ammo availabiltiy should not be a problem at least when makers do their seasonal runs of next tier popular stuff. They are all excellent cartridges that are accurate and easy to load for in my experience. None of them are fast twist of the day but all possess considerably more horse power than say a 6.5 prc until get way out there. Not knocking the 6.5 prc it is just good bit less powder so takes longer to catch uo even with higher bc bullets. So, I prefer the 270 wsm for my purposes in that general power range and bullets I like to use for hunting. Not sure why Riflehunter doesn’t like the 6.8 W but that is another good option. Mine is sub half moa with 165 and 175 factory ammo. Brass and ammo easily available these days and rifles so long as you are ok with Win or Browning or a custom. Others not picked it up yet but it’s just out so expect others will

Lou
Just say'n that we shouldn't support the new offerings (eg 6.8 Western) if the ammo companies don't keep supporting the old offerings (eg .270WSM).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Lou_270

Lou
Just say'n that we shouldn't support the new offerings (eg 6.8 Western) if the ammo companies don't keep supporting the old offerings (eg .270WSM).

That's what I don't get. Dang ammo manufactures and rifle manufactures wanting to bring out new schidt, and not support what they already have. That screws us in the end. They don't want to produce brass for cartridges like the 7wms and 270wsm, but bring out a new cartridge like the 6.8 western???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a M70 WSM and had it converted to a 6.5SAUM 4S, then sold it... I regret that and may do the same again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Puddle

Buy the ammo and/or brass 1st and lots of it before buying a rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Neighbor had a 270 wsm that jammed. I looked it over to help him fix it. This is what I found, slow cycling it:

Last round didn't have enough spring tension.

When you racked the bolt home slowly, the rebated rim was barely touching the bolt face.

As the bolt continued forward, the cartridge began its way up the feed ramp.

As the sharp cartridge shoulder hit the feed ramp, the angle was too steep and the bolt face would slip right over the rebated rim.

I stretched out the follower spring and all was well.

No thanks to a fat, short action cartridge with a rebated rim.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have had all four of the WSM’s, still have a 270, 7mm and 325. All in Model 70’s, two Classics and one FN. never had a bobble feeding or anything else. I think they’re excellent cases and work great for me. I think CRF does help them and making sure the mag spring has enough push as well. Otherwise they work fine.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wish you could buy the brass without the rebated rim. I'd gladly open up the bolt-face slightly...like I did for the 7mm Dakota cases.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 270 wsm and love it. It’s a tikka t3 and is my primary hunting rifle. I’m sure that the feeding issues can be a very real problem with many other rifles out there but that has not been the case with the tikka. I believe it probably has something to do with the single stack detachable magazine. Mine feeds wonderfully from all of my magazines (both factory and aftermarket)

I haven’t found ammo or brass to be a problem to find. Federal gold medal match primers I prefer are another story!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.