24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone loading these? Can’t seem to get good groups from my 6x6.8 (80gr) with em. The rifle shoots half inch with most bullets but can’t get these under @1 1/4”. Tried 4 different powders. Any trick to the seating depth etc?
Thought they be a good pig bullet, but don’t like that they don’t shoot as well.
Thanks for any input.
Greg

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Many monolithic bullets like a lot of jump to the lands. I'd start off at .050" from the lands and if that's no good, try .080" from the lands then 0.100" from the lands. I use the TSX 110 in a 6.8 and get five shots in an inch at 100 yds (not fantastic but good enough), and they are excellent on hogs.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 06/27/22.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, have tried several different jumps, with similar results. Agree on the Barnes bullets. I’m shooting the 80 gr ttsx in it with great results <.5” All day in this rifle. BA Weatherby varmintmaster action & Bartlein 1:9 barrel. This thing shoots everything under an inch and some Berger bullets into ragged holes. Just can’t figure why these CX bullets won’t shoot that well in it.
I’ll try some extreme jumps and see. It does shoot @50 fps faster than the Barnes with the same load.

Last edited by brayhaven; 06/28/22.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There's a slight chance that the pressure is too high if they are shooting 50 fps faster than the Barnes, in which case I'd try dropping the load a grain...worth a try if you haven't already covered this possibility. See how they do at the same speed as the Barnes...that might be where the accuracy is at.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 06/28/22.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’ve run the loads up and down looking for a good 2900 fps hunting load, but didnt shoot the lower ones for group. I’ll try that.
The ttsx seems to like to go fast. Could be the Length likes more stability. Was thinking the CX should behave the same, but, should know better after 60 years reloading, not to assume anything 😂
Thanks RH!

Greg
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I doubt its the length as you are running a 9 twist. If they don't shoot well at the lower speed of the Barnes (that might be where your accuracy node is on your rifle), I'd just use them up for off-hand target practice or short range hunting and stick to the Barnes. It's sometimes the case that no matter what you do, the particular brand of bullet does not like your particular gun. I'm very fond of the 90 grain TGK that has an excellent bc and performs well on game and are accurate, at least in a .243 case.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yep. Go fast or spin fast. It’s not the velocity that determines stability. It’s the rpm’s.
Since the rifle is inherently accurate with about anything I’ve shot in it, I’m just gonna chalk it up to the bullet & gun not liking each other.
Of course a minute & a quarter isn’t unusable at the ranges I hunt, but it just gets me as a gun builder and reloader, not to use a round that’s as accurate as I can make it.
I have no idea if these CX bullets are just not that accurate, but would be interested to hear others experience with them. Have read one test where they wouldn’t hold together in test media.
The ttsx are my go to hunting bullets in a half dozen calibers anyway, so it’s not a loss.
I saw Midway had these bullets on sale for @20% off. Might be an indicator. 🙄

Greg
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was really wishing to give the 90 gr CX in a bolt action CZ 527 chambered in 6mm ARC. 1st problem, no available bullets. OK Ill consider alternate bullets. 80 GR CX BC is simply less than, though Ill give it a try. Then there is the Nosler 90 GR E-tip though this bullet is still a bit of an un-known in terms of load data & am really questioning the design in terms of no bands or relief grooves, found on nearly every other monolithic.

Then we have the Hammer or the Absolute Hammer which is also lacking load data & Terminal ballistics leave me with concerns in terms of terminal ballistics.

Barnes has also been a consideration though availability has left this option lacking as well.

Time will tell as to which 6mm bullet is available, supported & performs in a consistent accurate terminal fashion.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't have a 6mm ARC but do have a .243 and improved 6mm. I question whether most of the bullets mentioned in this thread are soft enough to expand sufficiently at the very low 6mm ARC velocities, given most of the 6mm bullets are designed for the higher velocity .243 and faster. Especially as you get out around 350 yards or more. I have a 6.8 SPC and the best bullets for it are specifically designed for the lower velocities e.g the 6.8 110 TSX (as opposed to the .270 110 TTSX which was designed for .270 velocities and is too hard for the 6.8 slower velocities), 6.8 110 Accubond (which is a bit soft at full-power .270 velocities e.g above 3000 fps).

Last edited by Riflehunter; 07/06/22.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good point, I try to never shoot past @150 except antelope. Just for clean kills.
I’ve shot a lot of deer & hogs with my Merkel combo gun in 7x57R that I load to @2700 using 120 TTSX bullets. Everything drt with shoulder shots. May go 20 yards with heart shots.
The extreme penetration is what I like about them. As a gunsmith I couldn’t really recommend the 243 for deer hunting for many years. Until the tougher bullets came out, making it a very effective deer caliber.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by brayhaven; 07/08/22.

Greg
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I don't have a 6mm ARC but do have a .243 and improved 6mm. I question whether most of the bullets mentioned in this thread are soft enough to expand sufficiently at the very low 6mm ARC velocities, given most of the 6mm bullets are designed for the higher velocity .243 and faster. Especially as you get out around 350 yards or more. I have a 6.8 SPC and the best bullets for it are specifically designed for the lower velocities e.g the 6.8 110 TSX (as opposed to the .270 110 TTSX which was designed for .270 velocities and is too hard for the 6.8 slower velocities), 6.8 110 Accubond (which is a bit soft at full-power .270 velocities e.g above 3000 fps).

Think We may better state a goal of a minimum impact velocity. My personal goal 6mm ARC with the CX or E-tip looks to be 2400 FPS, again (impact velocity) Ill be expecting a muzzle velocity of 3050 fps give or take 50fps. will chronograph loads to verify. So yes ill agree a 350 yard shot should not be considered due to expansion concerns. Though I do see a 250 yard shot , well placed shot as being very ethical.

If the shooter is not able to place the shot well, than caliber & even velocity may be a null point.

So if you intend hunting beyond 250 yards then a larger cartridge, or longer barrel may be encouraged, Ill agree. And if we are looking at a 16" gas gun with the tougher monolithic bullets for example, then 125 yards may be the upper limit in terms of expansion with most monolithic projectiles.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just remember the mono's take up more powder space in an already small case within short magazine confines. Even if you can get enough powder in the case you've effectively reduced the size of the combustion chamber. You might be struggling to get 2950 fps with a 90 grain mono. in an accurate load. I have to drop the powder charge half a grain (really a grain would be better but accuracy is worse) when using the 6.8 110 TSX's as opposed to the same weight ProHunters. About 20-25 fps decrease in velocity

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Im quite sure Ill get 3000 FPS plus out of the 80 grain CX & book data suggest 3000 FPS or so from the 90 grain projectiles in a 24" bolt action 6mm ARC. Ill work up loads & Ill keep you posted for accuracy, Expansion on water jugs & accuracy velocity vs top velocity in my 22" barrel.

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6mm-arc-bolt.pdf

These loads will not be suitable for a gas gun due to the lower max chamber pressure.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 07/08/22.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Trying the 90 grain E-tip today in the 6mm ARC. looks like 350 yard shot will be very realistic in terms of expansion with this set-up. which would be more than enough for my capabilities.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Let us know how it goes and I'd be interested to know what velocity your accurate load is.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well, that was about the easiest load development effort I've had in a while.

24", std twist .30-06 barrel. 165 grain CX. 58 grains H4350. Norma brass, both new and fired. Fed 210 primer.

Average MV across 10 rounds: 2,914 with a high single digit S-D. Tight hunting groups.

BTO (Sinclair): 3.70" OAL: 3.320" - 3.325"

Now I can file that recipe away and perhaps pull it out again when from somewhere on high I hear "thou shalt not use the evil lead".

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.