Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Boss is coming to town tomorrow to talk to me about starting an operation in Midland/Odessa. Which would mean I’d have to live there, for a while anyways. Any of you living there? Pros cons?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never been there, what's it pay?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hope he’s paying you a lot. Of course if you enjoy dust storms, sulfur fart smell, bag trees (mesquite trees that grow plastic sacks from Walmart), and tumble weeds I guess you’d love it. My sister lives in Midland. They only live there for the money.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I drove through there about 176 times in the big rig. Spent the night at the big Odessa Loves truck stop a few times.
It is a desert. Very hot in the summer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I live here. You can add staunchly conservative, low crime rate, affordable housing (it's all relative anyay), an airport that you can take to anywhere, and the greatest people to be found anywhere to Aggie's list. Nowhere is perfect, but there are loads and loads of places that are far worse.

What kind of business you bringing to town?

Last edited by JGRaider; 07/10/22.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Boss is coming to town tomorrow to talk to me about starting an operation in Midland/Odessa. Which would mean I’d have to live there, for a while anyways. Any of you living there? Pros cons?
Well, the dawn of the Permian was quite hospitable to life, which conditions persisted till near the end, but the very end of it featured harsh enough conditions to bring about a mass extinction, so I'd live there if I could live in the early to middle parts of it.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I already live in what is considered to be the armpit of Wyoming. So the environment doesn’t sound like anything I’m not used to. Any hunting close by? Public shooting ranges? Trap club?

JG, we already have a directional business there. And we may have an opportunity to put a wireline truck to work.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Any hunting close by?.
Of course. All sorts of interesting creatures.

[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
One of my sons worked out in Midland some years back now, mid or late 90’s, on a long term project of some kind. Found he was bored evenings so took a job as a bouncer in some sort of bar on his off time.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you want to be a part time bouncer, West Odessa is a great place to get your asss sliced open, most any night of the week.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I already live in what is considered to be the armpit of Wyoming. So the environment doesn’t sound like anything I’m not used to. Any hunting close by? Public shooting ranges? Trap club?

JG, we already have a directional business there. And we may have an opportunity to put a wireline truck to work.

Midland Shooter Association is $250 per year. Excellent rifle range out to 500m, lots of pistol bays, and a trap and skeet location as well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

It's a schiethole. Like mega schiethole.....

I wouldn't even consider it if you dont speak Spanish.

For reference I'd rather live in rocksprings.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 07/10/22.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’d take a long hard look at it. I know a lot of people…..like dozens…that went out there and hated it and quit…or they are still there looking for a way out.

If you are living near Rock Springs or Green River, you may likely be in a better place. But….you may like it down there.

If I was serious, I’d go for a visit and I’d be partial about who I talked to about staying.

Find some folks who moved out there from up north where you are from. Get their opinion.

Do you have a wife and kids? I’d think long and hard about a permanent move to the Basin if I had school age kids or if I thought I’d have school age kids.

See it, think on it, pray about it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Grandson welded there before Biden shut everything down. It’s what you make of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Probably because you couldn’t afford to be anywhere but the slum neighborhoods. Dumb [bleep] detective,

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Probably because you couldn’t afford to be anywhere but the slum neighborhoods. Dumb [bleep] detective,

LMAO ! There’s some really nice neighborhoods in Midland. And lots of really good restaurants too.
And it’s not very far from some really great hunting areas.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I live here- I started out in the field 14 years ago as a mud engineer. It’s a great place to make money and create your own path. I’d be happy to give you some places to see while you’re here. Shoot me a PM.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
You know everyone in the world gets a 10% raise for living here.

See what he says when you tell him that. He will say, "Ok".

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Well, the dawn of the Permian was quite hospitable to life, which conditions persisted till near the end, but the very end of it featured harsh enough conditions to bring about a mass extinction, so I'd live there if I could live in the early to middle parts of it.

I think you and I could have some good conversations. Geology is now my primary business with land/title. The many depositional environments of the Permian are fascinating. From pre-Cambrian to upper permian and everything in between.

Last edited by SRPI89; 07/10/22.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.