Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Boss is coming to town tomorrow to talk to me about starting an operation in Midland/Odessa. Which would mean I’d have to live there, for a while anyways. Any of you living there? Pros cons?

It's a schiethole. Like mega schiethole.....

I wouldn't even consider it if you dont speak Spanish.

For reference I'd rather live in rocksprings.

Probably because you couldn’t afford to be anywhere but the slum neighborhoods. Dumb [bleep] detective,

That sheit made me laugh 🤣

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We lived in Midland from 1995 - 1997 (transfer from born and raised NorCal) and with our then two sons at elementary school age found it a great place for young families. We lived in a nice development, Grassland, IIRC. Somewhat of an expat community for us as some of our neighbors were in the same situation. The friendliness of the local folks we met there and are still friends with were what made us decide to retire in the Texas Hill Country. I haven't been back in ten years or so after celebrating a friends 60th so I really cannot speak to it today.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KD's BBQ in Midland.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Never lived in Midland area, spent 9 months between Lubbock and Slaton, TX for work. Great people decent cost of living, but it is a pay to play kind of place when it comes to outdoor activities. Very little public lands compared to Wyoming and other Western states.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s an hour to NM public land. Plenty of dove, quail and coyotes to hunt. Most big game is a draw but you can still get some tags without it, usually primitive ML for mule deer.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Midland is where the money lives and Odessa is where most blue collar, oilfield service companies and workers live. Lots of fortunes made there while the patch is active. But if your successful in the Oil and Gas industry you’re typically going to live in Midland/Odessa and Houston during your stay in Texas.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived in Midland for 26 years. I left in 2005. It was a good place to live and raise a family. The crime rate was low and the work was good. Lots of good people there and lots of good places to eat.

Jim

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Boss is coming to town tomorrow to talk to me about starting an operation in Midland/Odessa. Which would mean I’d have to live there, for a while anyways. Any of you living there? Pros cons?

For reference, I lived in Rock Springs when 60 Minutes came to town a couple time. I currently live in Midland. No comparison.
As previously mentioned, Midland Shooters has a good rifle and pistol range. They also have a separate shotgun range with two 15 station sporting clay courses, small gauge course, five stand field, three skeet fields and three trap fields. There are additional sporting clay courses within 15-20 miles. Windwalker and Jakes.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Probably because you couldn’t afford to be anywhere but the slum neighborhoods. Dumb [bleep] detective,

So you live in the Permian schiethole? Lol

Ya you're right it must be great, 100 Temps (for 6months), mesquite, sulfur stink, oilfield trash....AND places to eat! Because we all know food is in short supply with all the obese folks there.....

Been there, seen it, phugg living there.

P.s. try not to be so hostile, boomer.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 07/11/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ya you're right it must be great, 100 Temps (for 6months), mesquite, sulfur stink, oilfield trash....AND places to eat! Because we all know food is in short supply with all the obese folks there.....

Detective dipshît is scared of mesquite. 😂

Hanco’s gonna be pissed…

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Hanco’s gonna be pissed…

Like a moth to flame.......

Midland, so awesome you have to hunt New Mexico!

I don't find mesquite visually appealing. I prefer actual trees.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hanco’s gonna be pissed…

Like a moth to flame....flake.....

You’re not much of a detective, cop. Lol

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I lived in Odessa for the first 18 years of my career in the oil field. Both of my children where born there. We made many friends while living there and most people are solid working folks who mind there own business. Lots of good people,good food and it will be what you make of it! Good Luck with your choice.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 07/11/22.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SRPI89
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Well, the dawn of the Permian was quite hospitable to life, which conditions persisted till near the end, but the very end of it featured harsh enough conditions to bring about a mass extinction, so I'd live there if I could live in the early to middle parts of it.

I think you and I could have some good conversations. Geology is now my primary business with land/title. The many depositional environments of the Permian are fascinating. From pre-Cambrian to upper permian and everything in between.
But the earth is only six thousand years old.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mesquite is one of the things I enjoyed about Midland. Now, I was just passing through in the big rig on the way to El Paso. But I would stop in the rest area and park the truck. I had a hand saw, I would go off into the mesquite patch and saw off a 4 inch diameter by 5 foot long mesquite branch. Nothing better for the smoker or the charcoal grill.

Here in North Carolina, at the grocery store a one-pound bag of mesquite costs $6. Yes, 37 cents per ounce. And, if the mesquite has been setting in that bag for more than 2 years, the active ingredients have evaporated and it isn't much good. You need nice, fresh mesquite.

Yes I fondly recall the Mesquite of Midland and I must say, y'all have a bumper crop of it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful wood. You can also saw off little 3/8 inch wide slabs, makes great coasters. We have 5 mesquite coasters that I made, the girlfriend loves 'em. Very dense and hard wood.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Midland is probably the most decent place to live in the Permian Basin.

Odessa tends to be more "roughneck" types, while Midland is more "upper management" types.

The surrounding smallish towns around Midland/Odessa are a mixture of the above.

It's always been a boom or bust economy where oil is concerned. That's the oil business. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For those who are considering living there, how do you plan to overcome the time travel issue?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
For those who are considering living there, how do you plan to overcome the time travel issue?

The same way we are overcoming your posts in this thread in case you haven't noticed.....ignore it. One would think this Jackson guy would know that Midland is in the desert, which would likely include mesquite, and, hot weather, and a dry climate? Guess that escapes some. People don't come here for the scenery, obviously.

It is good to hear from others who have actually lived here who can offer an experienced opinion. They've been spot on.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Hanco’s gonna be pissed…

Like a moth to flame....flake.....

You’re not much of a detective, cop. Lol

Well you're a really good c unt, so you got that going for you..

How's the hunting in New Mexico?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If you want to be a part time bouncer, West Odessa is a great place to get your asss sliced open, most any night of the week.

Sounds like the Cotton Club on the old Tahoka Highway near Lubbock, when I was there, during the late '60's.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.