Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am thinking about trying UBR in either factory or Modified class. Does anyone shoot this game?
What can you tell me about it and what scopes are y'all using?

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I gave up on group shooting in the late 90’s after finding the score game a lot more fun in various ways. Problem with IBS or NBRSA score matches was that 30 and 6 mm cartridges had a definite advantage due to diameter and the fact all the targets were the same size. This meant that they had a better error factor where they could break the line or X dot even if they pulled the shot.

Secondly IBS and NBRSA until recently ignored the factory class and like most things that true Benchresters do is fugg up a good thing by being snobs and tailoring the match rules to favor themselves.

When I first started score it was supposed to be a match that anyone with their favorite dog gun, deer gun etc to come out and shoot in a class that put them on equal footing. It was supposed to bring new shooters into the bench game by allowing them to compete without having to shoot against custom PPC and BR rifles. Good on paper but in practice it only took a couple of years for the BR gods to fugg it up. Match participation dropped due to rule changes.

UBR just might be a game to get me back to shooting competitively again. Looks like a fun match.

Swifty
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, I am thinking I may try factory class as it would not cost me anything new to compete. I have a few rifles that would put me in modified class (if I can make weight.)
I know there is a learning curve to all this and I am trying to make sure that what I think I know is correct.
I have a Remington 700 in 223 with an H.S. Precision stock on it (that is what the factory used at one point) that I painted the stock on for dog hunting. I think I could use this in factory class but not sure. It does have some lead added to the fore end but would still make weight. If that is illegal in factory class, I have another stock just like it that is bone stock that I could switch the barreled action to.

My goal is to shoot a match or two and see how I like it before sending money on a gun to shoot other classes with.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lead in the forend could be classified as bedding which is allowed. The HS precision stock is specifically mentioned in the rules as allowed due to Remington using them a certain points, so weight would be the limiter. An accurate 223 is no slouch in the score game. Score when run the right way to where all equipment and targets is pretty equal for class it all boils down to the shooter.

My goal is to shoot a match or two and see how I like it before sending money on a gun to shoot other classes with.

This statement is what the score matches were supposed to be all about. Draw in new shooters to a class that they could be competitive in, with what they already have and see if it’s something they like. You don’t bring new shooters into trying the game if they have to have 10K in equipment to be competitive.

Swifty
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
That is one of the main reasons I never shot BR (the group game). I know I did not want to chunk down several grand on a rifle that was not really any good for anything else except to shoot on the bench and see how small of a group you could produce.
At least in the UBR game, I could use the rifle for other things and have a little fun with it. I figure that the 223 I have with the 14 twist barrel will limit me on better BC bullets for shooting 200 yards but it is a place to start.

I know you can drop a bunch of money into any shooting game. That said, you can't buy experience in reading wind and conditions, so it is a learning curve, and I am ok with that.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wind flags are your friend. Even if it’s just surveyors tape on a paint roller extension stuck in the ground. Top priority is have fun.

Swifty
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been shooting a local club 22 match and they shoot Bullet Pro. Similar format but with 22's. I most defiantly have fun and most defiantly need wind flags. That is next on my list of things to get.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wouldn't that factory Rem 223 have a 12" twist?

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
you may be right, I was thinking it was a 14 twist but I need to check. If it is a 12 twist, what do you think the heaviest bullet that twist would stabilize? I am at around 400 feet above sea level.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t worry 52-53 match bullet go shoot.

My 100-300 score gun since 2010

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cooper 21 Montana Varminter
223 caliber
24” tube twisted 12
2004 Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44 Target fine plex 1/8 clicks
Favorite load 52 Sierra, Speer or Nosler
24 grains LT32
Second up 25.8 grains Benchmark

The one I shot from 2008 -10 is the same as above only wearing a Leupold VXII varmint/target twisted 14
Before that was a Cooper 220 Swift

Swifty
IC B3

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
You were correct, checked my 223 out and it is a 1-12 twist. Not sure where I got 1-14 unless I was thinking about my 6mmBR I had back several years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The concept of UBR is that it's caliber-neutral for scoring. I'd sure encourage you to give it a try. Get a couple good wind flags and go have some fun!

Good shootin' -Al

P.S. I'll be shooting the NBRSA South Dakota State Score Championships this weekend.

Forbidden Zoner
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good luck Al
My bathroom scale says my gun/scope combo is 13.4 lbs so I ordered a better scale to get a little better warm and fuzzy feeling about making factory class. I don't want to show up with a factory rifle and be put in unlimited because of weight.
I am looking forward to giving this a try so we will see.
I will be shooting the local club 22 LR BR match this Sat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck to you...have fun.

What do you use for flags? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
At the 22lr match, I use a friends flags,
I have not ever shot the UBR before, and I need to look at getting some flags.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a shoot once a month that's within a couple hours for me. May have to give this a trial. At least my 6PPC wouldn't be at a handicap since I would be shooting against other 6mm's. The handicap would be my shooting!!!

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple pics of my Score rig:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good looking rig! I need to do some work on my stock. It just doesn't work right and some of the dimensions just don't suit me at all.

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
great looking rig.
do you load at the matches or preload and bump seating depth or?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Do you load at the matches or preload and bump seating depth or?

I have 50 cases made up for this gun. I come preloaded and then just load at the range. For seating depth, I seat them normally and then check them again before I go to the line as the bullets will creep .003-.004.

There's a lot of powder in there...... wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And here again my statement holds true, the OP mentioned specifically factory class. Just takes one true BR guy to fugg it up. We are no longer talking UBR factory class to full blown BR gun.
Thanks Al as I understand your passion BTDT, but you folks just tend to take the fun out of all.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you look at the rules? Or just jump off the edge make your own assumptions? There is a Factory class, a Modified class, and an Unlimited class. UBR isn't just factory class shooters. The thing that would ruin it for factory class shooters would be people passing off a custom gun as a factory rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I read the rules. If I understand them right one of my coopers wouldn’t make factory as it’s been rebarreled.

Factory class; There is no easy definition of factory so in response to requests made 40-x Remingtons will be allowed providing they have a Remington proof mark or name on the barrel, or a letter of verification that they were made by Remington. If no mark is found or letter accompanies a gun it is MODIFIED. This will apply to Coopers, Sako’s, Kimbers, Savages or any other gun maker. Any letter must include the caliber and serial number of said gun. THIS APPLIES TO MAJOR MARKET MANUFCTURES ONLY, IF KELBY PUTS A STAMP OR MARK ON A BARREL IT IS STILL A CUSTOM GUN……

Triggers may be tuned or replaced, original stocks May be bedded or replaced by another stock that was or is being used by the manufacturer, I.E. the current Remington stocks without the bedding blocks may be replaced by an H.S. Precision stock with a bedding block as Remington uses that stock also. Barrel crowns may be recut. Barrels cannot be removed or replaced even by a barrel of same manufacture. Any evidence of changes other than those listed will place your gun in the modified class. Guns are to be fired from two piece rests with sand bags utilized in conjunction with rests front and rear. Any attachments to stocks are restricted to the front portion of stock and may not exceed three inches in width. MAX .30 CALIBER.

WEIGHT LIMIT is 13.5 lbs.

Last edited by Swifty52; 07/16/22.

Swifty
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I weighed my Remington 223 that had the lead bedded in the forearm and scoped it is 13 lbs 3 oz. so I am hoping to shoot factory and see what this is all about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I weighed my Remington 223 that had the lead bedded in the forearm and scoped it is 13 lbs 3 oz. so I am hoping to shoot factory and see what this is all about.

Sounds like you should be good to go. The main thing is to go and have fun. Believe me, you'll learn more in one day about your gun and flags that a years worth of practicing by yourself. Where you finish or your score is relatively insignificant in the big picture. If you come way with more questions than answers...you're on the right track. wink

At last weekends tournament, several shooters their factory guns. While the NBRSA doesn't have a 'factory' class as such, we always run range sponsored class(es) for anyone that wants to shoot. They shoot right with the other classes...same targets and scoring.

This gentleman on the right was one of the 'factory' class shooters with his 700 VS 223. He had a smile on his face all day long. smile

A couple other pics of the range and shooters:

The view from my bench Sunday morning. The targets are down there somewhere. grin

Have fun and good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Love the pictures, I managed another 3rd place finish in my 22 BR match (guess it could be worse, I could have finished 4th or lower).
Sunday looks ruff for sure, how did you finish?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the pictures, I managed another 3rd place finish in my 22 BR match (guess it could be worse, I could have finished 4th or lower).
Sunday looks ruff for sure, how did you finish?

Congrats! smile

I ended up with a 3rd and 4th finish and a 5th. I was using a new front rest and rear bag combo and fought some issues with it dropping shots straight out the bottom. Changing the rear bag and moving the fore end stop location calmed it down quite a bit for the 200.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice shooting to you and congrats as well.
I just got a new rest in with one of Butch's Shade Tree tops on if Friday afternoon before the shoot on Sat. so I did not even fool with it as I knew I would not have time to figure it out. I don't need a reason to shoot myself in the foot on purpose, I do it enough as it is without even trying.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
how can i find out more about UBR ? and is there any shoots in Minnesota and a contact person in Minnesota ? thank you ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
how can i find out more about UBR ? and is there any shoots in Minnesota and a contact person in Minnesota ? thank you ,Pete53

Nope. Ohio is the closest.

http://ultimatebenchrest.com/

CONTACTS
DANNY HENSLEY

8099 SUGAR RUN RD.
JONESVILLE, VA 24263
CELL# 276-393-2206
E-MAIL prologrpeoplepc.com

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by pete53

Nope. Ohio is the closest.

http://ultimatebenchrest.com/

CONTACTS
DANNY HENSLEY

8099 SUGAR RUN RD.
JONESVILLE, VA 24263
CELL# 276-393-2206
E-MAIL [email protected]

thanks ,well maybe someday ? and understand the bench rest B.S. too ,been there and don`t do that anymore

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Do you load at the matches or preload and bump seating depth or?

I have 50 cases made up for this gun. I come preloaded and then just load at the range. For seating depth, I seat them normally and then check them again before I go to the line as the bullets will creep .003-.004.

There's a lot of powder in there...... wink -Al

Hi Al,
Are you shooting a 30br? I remember the loads for mine were pretty full as well laugh
Congrats on your latest match!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colodog
Hi Al, Are you shooting a 30br? I remember the loads for mine were pretty full as well laugh

Yes...30BR. Most are using the .925 long jacket but I make my bullets on the 1.00" J4 jackets.

I stepped away from active competition in registered IBS and NBRSA tournaments in 2013 to go drag racing again. I'm shooting a few select NBRSA tournaments this season. It's amazing how many little things about shooting in match conditions that I've had to 'relearn'...stuff I used to do without even thinking when I was traveling and competing almost every other weekend.

Good stuff! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot in a club match yesterday that uses the same format, and may go to the one in Winchester Indiana this Sunday.

P
pullit Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Due to other things going on, I did not make it to the match I had hoped to shoot this past weekend. Maybe next month will be better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.