Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The neighbor has a new car with the push button starter and they just got their car car jacked! The wife went to Walgreens and walking to the car hit the door unlock on her key fob. Just then a man lurking near the car muscled her out of the way, jumped into the car, pushed the starter button and because the key was telling the car it was close by, it started and he drove away. Luckily they also had On-Star and the police stopped the car and calmed the driver down with a taser. The thief’s get away car was only good for a single start unless he had the key, but I thought that it was worth passing along for those people with the push buttons.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hate the damn things.

That’s one thing I hadn’t thought about before though.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was glad my 2020 F150 came without push-button start, and has a column-shifter too boot. I dislike automatic shifters on the center console in pickups, as they just take up space.

Now with even more aplomb
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Our expedition won’t start unless the key is inside the vehicle. Like won’t start of my wife’s purse is right outside with the door open. Which sucks when it’s 106 and she’s moving like a turtle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wifes Mercedes is push-button, don't like it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
The neighbor has a new car with the push button starter and they just got their car car jacked! The wife went to Walgreens and walking to the car hit the door unlock on her key fob. Just then a man lurking near the car muscled her out of the way, jumped into the car, pushed the starter button and because the key was telling the car it was close by, it started and he drove away. Luckily they also had On-Star and the police stopped the car and calmed the driver down with a taser. The thief’s get away car was only good for a single start unless he had the key, but I thought that it was worth passing along for those people with the push buttons.
What car?I don't think that could happen in our Toyota.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The two "tricks" of the last 10-15yrs that I do appreciate are good back-up cameras and remote starting. It is nice to crank up your truck from 60-70 yards out and have the AC rolling cold when you climb in.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter03
Our expedition won’t start unless the key is inside the vehicle. Like won’t start of my wife’s purse is right outside with the door open. Which sucks when it’s 106 and she’s moving like a turtle.

Mine's the same. I can start it - leave the car (it dings constantly) and it won't move till I'm back in the car with the key. Chrysler.

I don't mind the push button. I hate the dial gear selector.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
The two "tricks" of the last 10-15yrs that I do appreciate are good back-up cameras and remote starting. It is nice to crank up your truck from 60-70 yards out and have the AC rolling cold when you climb in.

Or get the heated seats and steering wheel going while you pack up your gear after a day in the stand.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Can turn off proximity unlock and other from touch screen.

Bet most over 50 leave settings at default ( or whatever the salesman left em at ).

Last edited by hookeye; 07/11/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keyless ignitions have caused insurance claims to sky rocket. The codes aren’t unique. Thieves now have devices so they can go to a parking lot, push a button, and drive away with any car that lights up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Put your key in a Faraday cage when you don't need it to start/run the vehicle.

This is the one I bought for my wife: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07MDF5TX9/ref=sr_1_19?crid=3BKG1FCYEK9NN&keywords=faraday+cage&qid=1657553562&sprefix=farada%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-19

My truck is 22 years old and doesn't have any of this crap.
By the way, if a thief wants your car, he's going to get it.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Wife’s last car had push start. She started the car went back in the house to get something and set her keys down. Went back out and drove an hour away with the car never alerting the key wasn’t close. Figured out shed lost her keys when she started home and couldn’t crank the car

Last edited by Kellywk; 07/11/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Some pretty sketchy stories. Proximity keys work outside the vehicle to unlock/lock doors. Vehicles won’t start with keys outside vehicle- yes the vehicle can detect if keys are inside or outside the vehicle.

Love to see the data on insurance claims “sky rocketing”! How about the days when a slim Jim and a screw driver was all you needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have it on a couple of our cars, to be honest I've never given it a thought. Both have GPS tracking, so I'm not too worried. GPS tracking is the chit, my old vette will alert me if goes outside an area I set, cheap insurance anymore. Aslo situational awareness, always look around when entering/leaving your vehicle.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when you get out of range of the key it won't start again..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JPro
The two "tricks" of the last 10-15yrs that I do appreciate are good back-up cameras and remote starting. It is nice to crank up your truck from 60-70 yards out and have the AC rolling cold {or heater goin'}when you climb in.
I use the remote start 95% of the time...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's an interesting PSA - Keep your keys away from toddlers. My GF's two year old nephew was playing with mom's keys when he managed to start their car in a closed garage. It was purely luck that the husband come home some time later to discover the running vehicle. Fortunately, mom and toddler were safe and not flatlined, but could have ended much differently.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We don’t have an in the car push button starter, only the one on the key fob. It needs the key in the ignition to get it out of park and unlock the steering wheel and the key won’t come out of the ignition if it is in neutral. That was our Florida across the street neighbor and I don’t remember the type of car it is, but could find out. Hard to believe that there aren’t some safeguards built into new cars that would prevent someone from driving away when the key is just close outside the car. Try it on your new car and let us know what happens.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (35, 32_20fan, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.