Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The chamber on an improved 6mm I have has 150 thou freebore which is way too long for the new pointy 90 grain Sierra TGK. It's ok for the less pointy projectiles that have a much lower bc. I run out of magazine length 3.04" and also neck length because of the aggressive boat-tail when trying to seat near the lands. Accuracy is poor because of this. I'm wanting to set the Model 70 barrel back 2 threads (total 0.125") and recut the chamber. I'm assuming I probably need to get a new reamer with around a 0.020 to 0.040" freebore. Would if be really difficult to modify my existing reamer either so it has a reduced throat or no throat at all so it just cuts the chamber without the throat? If it didn't cut the throat then the barrel set back of 2 threads would be just right. Thank you.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 07/12/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may want to consider having the reamer done with no throat and then throat separately for your specific application.

With the exception of some specialized BR chambers, most all my barrels have been done this way.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
You may want to consider having the reamer done with no throat and then throat separately for your specific application.

With the exception of some specialized BR chambers, most all my barrels have been done this way.

Good shootin' -Al
Yes, but I wouldn't have to do the throat as I could use the old throat which would be shortened by 0.125". So my question is, can my reamer be reground to be able to do this, as it will save me a lot of money on a new reamer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rifle,
You can do the conversion you want. Load a dummy round with the freebore and COL you want and send it to Manson reamers. He will reduce the throat by the amount you want. He can even totally grind the existing throat off your reamer and then you throat as you desire.
Bill

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
Rifle,
You can do the conversion you want. Load a dummy round with the freebore and COL you want and send it to Manson reamers. He will reduce the throat by the amount you want. He can even totally grind the existing throat off your reamer and then you throat as you desire.
Bill
Thank you.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Yes, but I wouldn't have to do the throat as I could use the old throat which would be shortened by 0.125". So my question is, can my reamer be reground to be able to do this, as it will save me a lot of money on a new reamer.

Oh, I savvy what you're trying to do. wink

My suggestion is to have your 'smith back it up enough to cut a complete new throat after the reamer has been modified.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Oh, I savvy what you're trying to do. wink

My suggestion is to have your 'smith back it up enough to cut a complete new throat after the reamer has been modified.

Good shootin' -Al
I spoke to him. He can grind the throat off the reamer (he's done that before) and use a separate throat reamer. Thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 23 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.