Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a 270 WSM, love it. I load 140 Accubonds for it

+1 on this. I shoot 140 Game Kings in mine too. Mine is a Model 70 Featherweight and it shoots and handles great.
What loads are you loading and velocities are you getting for the 270WSM please?

BP-B6

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by rockdoc

+1 on this. I shoot 140 Game Kings in mine too. Mine is a Model 70 Featherweight and it shoots and handles great.
What loads are you loading and velocities are you getting for the 270WSM please?

I'll chime in. I have a 270WSM and shoot 140 Accubonds in it. Using H4831, RL26, or Magpro I can get 3200 fps pretty easily out of my Tikka T3 Lite with 24 inch barrel.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hudge
FYI for anyone with a 7mm WSM. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102137620?pid=371969

I thought about buying and necking it down or up for the 270 and 300, everything I read said it was not with it. Now necking down 300 WSM to 270 or vise versa was a different story.

I came here to share this as well. I’m waiting for a 8400 Montana 7wsm to arrive at my FFL, but in the meantime I found brass, dies, and TTSX bullets all at Midway. The RCBS dies are on clearance at $21.

Last edited by Jwood1284; 07/13/22.

-JW
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 325 WSM was the only short fat that I seriously considered but never bought. Probably the only one that didn’t duplicate an existing cartridge. I pass on all of them.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fortymile

I'll chime in. I have a 270WSM and shoot 140 Accubonds in it. Using H4831, RL26, or Magpro I can get 3200 fps pretty easily out of my Tikka T3 Lite with 24 inch barrel.

I’ve hit 3345 with Barnes 129 LRX and RL26, but accuracy is not there. My other loads are with H4350 and H4831SC and they average 3050-3105 fps at the muzzle. Going to try Magpro in it next as my .270 Win loves it.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I replaced a very reliable 30-06 with a win m70 stainless classic 300 WSM about 15 years ago. The hype convinced me it would kill elk better, deader, and quicker. After 2elk seasons and 2 dead elk I discovered the WSM didn’t make a difference for me, so down the road it went. I haven’t hand loaded in years, but in today’s climate regarding factory ammo and brass shortages, I wouldn’t even consider any of the WSMs unless I had a stockpile of brass and powder. Ymmv

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^^^ This ^^^^

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I replaced a very reliable 30-06 with a win m70 stainless classic 300 WSM about 15 years ago. The hype convinced me it would kill elk better, deader, and quicker. After 2elk seasons and 2 dead elk I discovered the WSM didn’t make a difference for me, so down the road it went. I haven’t hand loaded in years, but in today’s climate regarding factory ammo and brass shortages, I wouldn’t even consider any of the WSMs unless I had a stockpile of brass and powder. Ymmv

Good post hotsoup. I think a lot of us realized that after using them. That's the way we learn though. One of the reasons I have used many different cartridges on elk. One thing I have seen when out and about looking for rifles is the WSM's are generally less expensive than rifles chambered for standard cartridges. Last year I almost bought a 325 WSM like new Winchester model 70 extreme weather. It was $600.00. I thought about that rifle a few times, but then said, no I don't need a weird 325 WSM. Went back a month later and the rifle was still there. Even though it was chambered for the 325, I didn't expect to see it still there after a month on the rack, because the price was pretty good. That was at a Cabela's too, so there were plenty of people looking at it. Not a mom and pop shop way out in the country. That was an eye opener.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don’t love the 325 but man mine is nice and very accurate so far. Not sure I could’ve passed the EW for 600. I gave about the same for the Sporter I got from CDNN, just to kick around a little. Through a Burris FFII on top and I’ll be damned if it isn’t a pretty serviceable rifle.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I don’t love the 325 but man mine is nice and very accurate so far. Not sure I could’ve passed the EW for 600. I gave about the same for the Sporter I got from CDNN, just to kick around a little. Through a Burris FFII on top and I’ll be damned if it isn’t a pretty serviceable rifle.

Very serviceable I'm sure. I don't have anything against the 325. At the time I had a 300wsm and 7wsm. I load for an 8mm mauser, but don't keep many 8mm bullets on hand. I'm sure it smashes elk. Now I'm thinking I should have bought it because at that price, it was a great deal. Around the same time a buddy and I were at a shop at the coast and saw a 308 EW on clearance for $800.. It was new, but 12 years old. Those coastal guys are more into shooting fast 7mm's and 300/338 RUM's... You know I find great deals man. Here's one I saw across a crowded room at a small town gunshow:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2008 limited edition 300WSM. Paid $600 for it, damn sure couldn't pass up that deal. It had exceptional wood on it. This is the one I threw into a mcmillan and tried to turn it into a faux EW:
.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice wood on that one. I know around 08 the wood was out of control.

I wouldn’t ever trade a 300 for 325 but for me I have a SG 300 RUM and H&H so the WSM is my least wanted.

Sierras 220’s might be real good in the 325 when I get back around to it.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Puddle
Seen any ammo? Seen any brass?

Not only that, but they have feeding issues sometimes. The shoulder angle is not conducive to great feeding. Plus they don't hold as much as a comparable standard cartridge. You are at a loss, but if are ok with it, then go ahead..

All that for so little gain (or maybe even no gain). I can’t think of anywhere I’d go with a 300 WSM that I wouldn’t go with a 30-06.

There is a gain if not you need to do a better job of hand loading cartridges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Lou_270
I have had 270, 7mm, 300 wsm and still have 2 270 wsm. I mainly like the wsm in lighter rifles and to me recoil got up there with a 300 wsm in something like a Kimber Montana. Not looked for factory ammo in long while for any but never had issues finding brass for 270 wsm and 300 wsm. The 300 was the 6.5 creedmoor or close to it of a few years ago and the 270 wsm is decently popular but the 7mm wsm never caught on. In any case the 300 and 270 have enough rifles about that ammo availabiltiy should not be a problem at least when makers do their seasonal runs of next tier popular stuff. They are all excellent cartridges that are accurate and easy to load for in my experience. None of them are fast twist of the day but all possess considerably more horse power than say a 6.5 prc until get way out there. Not knocking the 6.5 prc it is just good bit less powder so takes longer to catch uo even with higher bc bullets. So, I prefer the 270 wsm for my purposes in that general power range and bullets I like to use for hunting. Not sure why Riflehunter doesn’t like the 6.8 W but that is another good option. Mine is sub half moa with 165 and 175 factory ammo. Brass and ammo easily available these days and rifles so long as you are ok with Win or Browning or a custom. Others not picked it up yet but it’s just out so expect others will

Lou
Just say'n that we shouldn't support the new offerings (eg 6.8 Western) if the ammo companies don't keep supporting the old offerings (eg .270WSM).

That's what I don't get. Dang ammo manufactures and rifle manufactures wanting to bring out new schidt, and not support what they already have. That screws us in the end. They don't want to produce brass for cartridges like the 7wms and 270wsm, but bring out a new cartridge like the 6.8 western???

This is nothing more than “what came first, the chicken or the egg?”

If people were still buying that junk, they would keep producing it. Short magnums were an answer to a question that should never been asked.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

My Tikka apparently has a tight chamber as 66g of RL26 (well under book max) was as high as I could go. It shoots lights out with velocity just shy of 3200fps.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Lou_270
I have had 270, 7mm, 300 wsm and still have 2 270 wsm. I mainly like the wsm in lighter rifles and to me recoil got up there with a 300 wsm in something like a Kimber Montana. Not looked for factory ammo in long while for any but never had issues finding brass for 270 wsm and 300 wsm. The 300 was the 6.5 creedmoor or close to it of a few years ago and the 270 wsm is decently popular but the 7mm wsm never caught on. In any case the 300 and 270 have enough rifles about that ammo availabiltiy should not be a problem at least when makers do their seasonal runs of next tier popular stuff. They are all excellent cartridges that are accurate and easy to load for in my experience. None of them are fast twist of the day but all possess considerably more horse power than say a 6.5 prc until get way out there. Not knocking the 6.5 prc it is just good bit less powder so takes longer to catch uo even with higher bc bullets. So, I prefer the 270 wsm for my purposes in that general power range and bullets I like to use for hunting. Not sure why Riflehunter doesn’t like the 6.8 W but that is another good option. Mine is sub half moa with 165 and 175 factory ammo. Brass and ammo easily available these days and rifles so long as you are ok with Win or Browning or a custom. Others not picked it up yet but it’s just out so expect others will

Lou
Just say'n that we shouldn't support the new offerings (eg 6.8 Western) if the ammo companies don't keep supporting the old offerings (eg .270WSM).

That's what I don't get. Dang ammo manufactures and rifle manufactures wanting to bring out new schidt, and not support what they already have. That screws us in the end. They don't want to produce brass for cartridges like the 7wms and 270wsm, but bring out a new cartridge like the 6.8 western???

This is nothing more than “what came first, the chicken or the egg?”

If people were still buying that junk, they would keep producing it. Short magnums were an answer to a question that should never been asked.

I agree shrap. One thing about us loonies is we want to try different things out there, so manufactures take advantage of that. I was at the range the other day and a young guy (in his early 20's) showed up with a brand new 6.8 westerner. He said its a new offering from Winchester that is supposed to smoke everything else out there. It was a new Winchester XPR rifle. I did not like the looks of the rifle, but the kid was excited about it. All I said was cool, how does it shoot? After he was there for a while he had some targets where groups were ranging from about 2" to 4" center to center. He said it will work "just fine for deer hunting", still seemingly excited about the new rifle and cartridge. He even asked if I wanted to shoot it. I said, "no that is alright, thanks though". What still bothers me about manufactures is they spend more time trying to develop new cartridges and not focus on what they already have. In a component shortage time like now, they are doing nothing but screwing us. So, its a double edged sword. They are getting new shooters interested in something, but at a cost.. I used the WSM for hunting, but don't really care for it in that application. In an earlier post I said "feeding issues", but its more than that.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Kimber 7 Whizzum Montucky,is the best Killing Rifle to have ever crossed the Factory Shelf. Hint.

It blends RPM/throat geometry/COAL like no other and has the capacity to meld same,like no other. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You get 250-400fps more with 300wsm vs 30/06 and within 50fps of 300wm with a lot less powder. Do you need it? Probably not for 90% of hunting but you can also kill most anything that walks with 308 inside 300yds.

I think 300wsm is a great all around cartridge...load 150s at moderate levels for deer and 180 ABs at 3000fps for anything bigger. Very easy cartridge to hand load and recoil is manageable in a 7lb rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had at least a bakers dozen WSM’s - 270, 7mm & 300 in Winchesters (CRF and CRPF actions) and Kimbers. I still have a few in 270 and 7mm, mostly Montanas (along with a few thousand pcs of brass). None have had any feeding issues. All are/were accurate. All have performed great on game (not like the bullet knows what case it came out of…). I personally prefer them to standard long action cartridges.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Bullets mean wayyyyyyy more than headstamps...you 'lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
They are entertaining........

6.5-300 WSM (6.5 Leopard)

270 WSM

7mm WSM

300 WSM

and my favorite.......

the 325 WSM

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
491 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.