Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17420429 07/13/22
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I am looking for tips on reloading this ammo. I have loaded rifle and revolver ammo for 60 years. I bought a couple 1911's and enjoy them a great deal. Also have a Smith revolver for this round. I loaded a bunch of ammo for it, but something is not quite right. Sometimes the sized cases would not chamber in the 1911. So I got a Hornady die to taper the cases. Now my ammo sometimes will not fire since using the taper die.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Disassemble your gun and use the barrel as a cartridge gauge.

A resized case should drop into the chamber with no resistance and the head of the case should be just below flush with the end of the barrel hood.

A loaded round should drop into the chamber with a "plunk" sound. The head of the case should be just below flush with the end of the barrel hood.

The barrel hood fits very closely to the breech face of the slide. If the round sits above the hood, the slide may not close. If the round sits more than a slight amount below the hood, the round may not fire as the firing pin can not reach.

Michael

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Disassemble your gun and use the barrel as a cartridge gauge.

A resized case should drop into the chamber with no resistance and the head of the case should be just below flush with the end of the barrel hood.

A loaded round should drop into the chamber with a "plunk" sound. The head of the case should be just below flush with the end of the barrel hood.

The barrel hood fits very closely to the breech face of the slide. If the round sits above the hood, the slide may not close. If the round sits more than a slight amount below the hood, the round may not fire as the firing pin can not reach.

Michael

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just finished loading some 45 ACP ammo....

Loaded some more 250 gr plated (.451") with AA 5

You being the seasoned reloader...your die set consists of......?

My suggestion on any auto pistol loads...Lee Deluxe 4 piece die set...#4 die...factory crimp die (FCD) works wonders

I also use a Lyman 'M' series expander die....expands in two stages for 45's (ACP or Colt)

Nothing more frustrating when your hand loads have hick ups in your auto pistol

Link for the ole 45's history

Pic........my newest 45 ....XD-M Elite compact

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

[img]https://i.imgur.com/XbOyRdm.jpg?1[/img]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If they're not firing, then they aren't head spacing on the the chamber mouth. I'm guessing that you are crimping so hard that the case edge is slipping past the case mouth.

But, usually the case is held by the extractor sufficiently for the firing pin to ignite the primer, so now I'm wondering if your problem Description is faulty.

Probably what you really mean is that your reloads don't chamber, so the slide doesn't close enough to depress the disconnector - so you don't get a "click".

Since you shoot revolver, it is possible you are trying to use a revolver cast bullet in your auto.

I think you need to provide a bit more info.....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Don't over do the crimp! A taper crimp die is your friend. If you roll crimp the ammo, it won't headspace on the mouth, thus seating too far into the chamber. True, the extractor may support it somewhat, but may give you some light strikes on the primer. Use the removed barrel to check your loads.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
No cast in either the revolver or 1911. I am going to reload some soon and give things a check. I didn't crimp the loads as I remember and it doesn't look as if I did. Thanks. I have some time coming up, I will get to loading some more.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
My thought is that you are over-flaring and subsequently over-crimping. Take a turn or two off the flare die and then reset your crimp. Use your caliber and measure the brass at the crimp. If it does not read between .470 and .471 you have a problem.

Multiple times I have had to take a case gauge/barrel and test every adjustment for set up. 10mm with cast 200s kicked my ass for some reason. The key for me was to keep it as close to “plunking” as possible during the flare step.

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Taper crimp to .471" and watch your OAL. What bullet are you using?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Horn. 230 hp and berry's 230 fmj!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I had to add a fourth crimp die. The seating crimp rcbs did couldn't get it set right to do it all in one operation. Now I seat and then run through a crimp die. I'm using the Lee factory crimp.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Yesterday I carefully loaded 10 acps with 8 gr. of AA#5. The powder I have been using. All 10 functioned fine. I am going to load another batch to nite. It has been so long since I loaded those shells that miss function I am not sure what the problem might have been.. But thanks for all the help. I will try and keep this going till I am confident with my loads. The Lee die has been added to the process, thanks again.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut
only a suggestion.....FCD is amazing

This.

Also, as others have said, do the plunk test. Also make sure you can spin the round in the chamber. If not, OAL is too long and engaging the lands.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use the taper crimp die in my Lyman four die set. I do the plunk test on every single round I load, with an old Midway branded test die so as not to have to strip the barrel(s) out of the guns. Do they even make those plunk test dies anymore? Mine has worked 100% flawlessly for years.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Lyman 4-die set and have come to prefer it over the RCBS dies.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Sounds like you have solved the problem but what I did before I got a taper crimp die is run the loaded round about 1/16” into a 45 Colt sizing die.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Partagas
I had to add a fourth crimp die. The seating crimp rcbs did couldn't get it set right to do it all in one operation. Now I seat and then run through a crimp die. I'm using the Lee factory crimp.

The Lee Factory Crimp die is the answer, I'm sure. I don't load any of my pistol ammo without one. Makes them 100% reliable. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
While talking about dies

I started using Lyman's 'M series' expander on 357---44 & 45 Colt/ACP

Have one coming too for the 9mm

Kinda like the Lee collet or factory crimp die

Once ya use it...you'll buy more

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011246697?pid=794181

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Partagas

The Lee Factory Crimp die is the answer, I'm sure. I don't load any of my pistol ammo without one. Makes them 100% reliable. YMMV..

No issues at all with my 3 die RCBS set. I have found it preferable to seat the bullet to the desired depth using the seating/crimp die and then back off the seater plug and set the taper crimp in a second pass.This is only applicable if you are using a single stage press though. I have set it for 0.469" at the mouth since Bill Wilson recommended it in his book 30 years ago.

No real need for a Lee crimp die. BSA is always over complicating things... grin.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 50 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.