Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A Winchester Featherweight is a featherweight in name only. Compared to most modern rifles they are comparable to most other manufacturers standard weight rifles. Even with a 3-9X40 Leupold in Talley Lightweight mounts it isn't going to be much, if any, under 8 lbs. But that isn't a bad place to be. I find 7 to 7 1/2 lbs to be about ideal, but as long as it's close to 8lbs I could live with it.

That's a nice looking rifle, but IMO that is just too much scope for the rifle. Anymore I have a hard time recommending anything. The discontinued Zeiss Conquest made by Meopta would be ideal. But it appears they are no longer made.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teal
I'd put the 70 into a properly bedded stock and see what it does first.

Or just seal and bed that SG stock along with a trigger spring.

If you like it as is, a good bedding job and trigger tune will do more for you than a stock swap unless you’re looking to loose weight.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
NEVER sell a Winchester M70.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The only grade 3 featherweights I have seen were BACO guns. Are you sure this one is a new haven gun? It will impact the trigger recommendations as the BACO guns have the moa trigger.

Edit - after looking at that picture more closely, I’m almost certain that it’s a BACO. OP, does it say “model 70 featherweight” on the right side with “made in USA BACO INC., Morgan UTAH” in smaller letters underneath?

Last edited by AKwolverine; 07/12/22. Reason: Pic
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats a BACO made model 70, you can see the writing on the ejection port side of the barrel.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Thats a BACO made model 70, you can see the writing on the ejection port side of the barrel.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but the op said it's a "new haven"?? He also said it's a "supergrade" stock, which it is not. Oh well dude. At least he didn't say it was a rem 700.. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, that's what I thought, but the op said it's a "new haven"?? He also said it's a "supergrade" stock, which it is not. Oh well dude. At least he didn't say it was a rem 700.. ha ha..

Lol that’s true.. So his statement about an Ernie spring kit for it will definitely help that trigger. I also suspect the hot glue bedding job has ran its course and rifle needs a good bedding job. But if ol boy wants another rifle I get the tikka for sure.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Lol that’s true.. So his statement about an Ernie spring kit for it will definitely help that trigger. I also suspect the hot glue bedding job has ran its course and rifle needs a good bedding job. But if ol boy wants another rifle I get the tikka for sure.

Good post J. I agree...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Keep the m70 and get a new rifle.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice rifle. Life is too short not to use that.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Leica while a nice lowlight scope in Alabama is a yoke around your neck out west. Get another scope and upgrade your rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Not to mention, the factory trigger is easily fixable, Ernie's spring aside.
THAT!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's a BACO rifle it will have the MOA trigger, in which case the Ernie's Spring Kit is the no-brainer fix. BTDT.

A couple observation's as a Western hunter -

I'd ditch the Hubble Scope and get a scope in the 13 oz or less weight range with a BDC reticle. KISS. All my hunting here in Montana has been with 6x fixed, 2-7, 2.5-8, 3-9, and 3.5-10 scopes. Furthest I've taken a game animal is 548 yards. It was a bedded antelope, and I used a 3-9 with a BDC reticle. 1 shot and done. You really don't need more than 9x on the top end for Western hunting, and my favorite scope is probably the 2.5-8x36.

Of course, "Western Hunting" takes in a huge variety of geography, but generally speaking there's a lot more walking and climbing involved than back East. Especially when it comes to mountain hunting where weight is genuinely something to consider. For me, I like an all-up rifle weight (scope, sling and cartridges) of no more than 7.75 lb's. You could get your 30-06 to that weight by putting a 1-piece all-aluminum bottom metal unit on it, dropping it in a light stock (under 27 oz's), and putting a light scope on top in X-Low Talley Lightweights. Get a Butler Creek Mountain Sling and you're done.

But very few people take practical advice when there's a more complicated and unnecessary means to an end...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Redneck
THAT!
Whoa Lee … You know we’re talking about an MOA now, correct? grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
If it's a BACO rifle it will have the MOA trigger, in which case the Ernie's Spring Kit is the no-brainer fix. BTDT.

A couple observation's as a Western hunter -

I'd ditch the Hubble Scope and get a scope in the 13 oz or less weight range with a BDC reticle. KISS. All my hunting here in Montana has been with 6x fixed, 2-7, 2.5-8, 3-9, and 3.5-10 scopes. Furthest I've taken a game animal is 548 yards. It was a bedded antelope, and I used a 3-9 with a BDC reticle. 1 shot and done. You really don't need more than 9x on the top end for Western hunting, and my favorite scope is probably the 2.5-8x36.

Of course, "Western Hunting" takes in a huge variety of geography, but generally speaking there's a lot more walking and climbing involved than back East. Especially when it comes to mountain hunting where weight is genuinely something to consider. For me, I like an all-up rifle weight (scope, sling and cartridges) of no more than 7.75 lb's. You could get your 30-06 to that weight by putting a 1-piece all-aluminum bottom metal unit on it, dropping it in a light stock (under 27 oz's), and putting a light scope on top in X-Low Talley Lightweights. Get a Butler Creek Mountain Sling and you're done.

But very few people take practical advice when there's a more complicated and unnecessary means to an end...

Great suggestions..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
THAT!

Oh no, now you did it!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good Model 70 is a gem.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
THAT!
Dammit - thought he was talkin' about the NH model........ eek Only fix for the MOA is to trade for a NH M70.... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The BACO that he has not in the same league with the NH model...I have both and use/shoot/hunt both, but the NH has a feel about it that you have to let it grow on you to understand what we know.....nothing can compare with it. There was only one Babe Ruth and there is only one Rifleman's Rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
THAT!
Dammit - thought he was talkin' about the NH model........ eek Only fix for the MOA is to trade for a NH M70.... laugh laugh

Damn, thanks for the laugh. I don't have any BACO's in the safe, so you may be on to something there.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 22kHornet, 53 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,567
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.