Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
First and foremost, I never let the wife use my knives. She tries to saw porcelain plates in half when dicing up a steak.

It's insane.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Disregard Brian 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Skin game from the inside out. Hair and dirt is what roles a edge.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you polish the edge too fine it'll dull quicker . For field use keep the edge " toothy" ,it'll stay sharper longer

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, the Sharpmaker can do a good job IF, it matches the bevel angles of the knife. A little magic marker on the knife bevel will let you know where the sharpener is making contact with the blade.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I recontour all my hunting blades from a bevel edge to a convex edge. It's a much sturdier/versatile edge that is long lasting and easy to maintain. I also use a wood mounted strop with black compound on one side and white (finer) on the other.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Does anyone still strop on the inside of their leather belt?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ironbender, yup, nothing extra to carry. Always with you, never forgotten.

Last edited by guy57; 07/15/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
with my dead animal processing knives, I don't really want a razor edge.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I have more success with sharpening when i don’t let them get completely dull.

I keep some strops and ceramic sticks around to touch up after each use.

This is what I do.

Yep this works well especially for someone that uses a knife on the job everyday.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Worksharp Precision Adjust sharpener the other day. Has a bunch of different stones and a strop. Looks like it will allow me almost infinite edge angles along with a bunch of degrees of "toothiness" which I've always been a fan, but never geeked out on.

Appreciate the tips and suggestions fellas.

Wife is laughing at my bare left fore arm and knee. LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought mine last year and really like it.

Lots of YouTube videos on using that Worksharp. There was almost a cottage market on ebay selling additional stones/papers/holders to get different results.

Worksharp was going to start offering some additional stuff for it as well.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I can dig that for sure.

Spyderco was a bit limiting.

I got a couple Ingrams as sharp as I could get em with the Spyderco.

A few minutes with the Worksharp got them twice as sharp.

Easily I might add.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the strop and ceramic rod folks, do you strop first or after using the rod?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Always figured strop was dead last.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Higginez
Always figured strop was dead last.

It is

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Hig I know you already dropped the coin but edge pro is what I use and once you get the hang of it it’s quick and easy.

I got all the stones up to I think 2000 grit but it’s a waste.

120 to 220 to strop and you’re razor sharp

Once you set a profile (which can take some time) touching them up is pretty quick

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
When I get a new knife with a factory edge they seem to stay sharp a whole bunch longer than when I sharpen them afterward. I use a Spider Co Sharpsmaker and I can get them where they shave hair, but the edge just doesn't last as long. S30v mostly.

Touchups on a truck window seem to last better.

WTF am I missing?

I hear guys talk about breaking down 3-4 animals in the season without touchups and I'm skinning a pig thinking "pass the Havalon!"

I remember EHG would send Gene Ingram knives at the end of the season, might just do that if he'd still service them.

Sounds like you are dealing with the classic wire edge.

There are only two problems with knife or tool sharpening. You either don't completely apex the edge or you don't remove the burrs that are inevitably created in that process and are working with a "false edge". If you are getting an edge that shaves you are most likely doing okay with the apexing but are probably lacking with your burr removal if the edges don't last.

You are creating a burr with your Sharpmaker rods. It does not matter whether you use the most expensive well marketed "system" or a file or a rock, you are going to create burrs if you apex the edge, and if you don't apex the edge, the knife is still dull. Most likely the burr you are creating is so small you can't see it or feel it. So how the heck to you know its there?

See if your edge will shave only on one side of the bevel or feels "sharper" on one side. If that is the case, you are shaving with the burr or feeling the burr that is folded to one side. When you cut something its going to snap off eventually and you have a short lived edge. Another issue is that the burr can be straight in line with the edge so it shaves on both sides so the next trick is to try and slice newspaper. If your edge has a burr it won't cleanly slice the newspaper but will catch and tear it.

If you get your edges cleaned up to the point that they shave on both sides and cleanly slice (with a coarse edge) or push cut (with a fine edge) newspaper, your edges should be at least as good as factory, probably better.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/26/22.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That’s the best explanation I have read. Or maybe I should say I understand that explanation the best. Thank you for typing all that out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I hear guys talk about breaking down 3-4 animals in the season without touchups and I'm skinning a pig thinking "pass the Havalon!"

I had another thought and wanted to come back to the quoted comment.

Last season, I used the same knife to break down 3 whitetails. I did not have to sharpen between animals but I did touch the blade up before putting it away at the end of the season. I am sure I could have done another animal if needed. This was with a boner pattern in S30V from Tim Olt.

One thing I definitely learned last season while helping a couple guys is that not everyone handles their knife the same way while dressing animals. Cutting across hair, dirty hide and riding the edge hard against bone as cuts are made were a few things I noticed these guys doing. None of that is good for any knife.

I usually start into the hide going with the hair until I can just get the hide pulled away from the muscle. From there, all my cuts are between the inside of the hide and muscle, primarily separating the fascia and connective membranes....this is not taxing on a knife's edge. When separating quarters or muscle groups around bone, I usually cut just deep enough to find the bone I am working around and then work around it, pulling the muscle and just cutting any connections as needed as the muscle pulls away. I swear, some guys in the group would hit the bone and ride it hard like they were trying to saw through it...I cringed every time.

There are a few joints that need to be popped but you can do that pretty easily without much edge dulling if you know where the ligaments are and can work some of the cartilage with the blade.

When I started paying more attention to how I was using my knife, and I learned more about the anatomy of the animals I was processing, I noticed that my knives magically started staying sharp much longer.

DITTO

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.