Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Higginez
When I get a new knife with a factory edge they seem to stay sharp a whole bunch longer than when I sharpen them afterward. I use a Spider Co Sharpsmaker and I can get them where they shave hair, but the edge just doesn't last as long. S30v mostly.

Touchups on a truck window seem to last better.

WTF am I missing?

I hear guys talk about breaking down 3-4 animals in the season without touchups and I'm skinning a pig thinking "pass the Havalon!"

I remember EHG would send Gene Ingram knives at the end of the season, might just do that if he'd still service them.

Sounds like you are dealing with the classic wire edge.

There are only two problems with knife or tool sharpening. You either don't completely apex the edge or you don't remove the burrs that are inevitably created in that process and are working with a "false edge". If you are getting an edge that shaves you are most likely doing okay with the apexing but are probably lacking with your burr removal if the edges don't last.

You are creating a burr with your Sharpmaker rods. It does not matter whether you use the most expensive well marketed "system" or a file or a rock, you are going to create burrs if you apex the edge, and if you don't apex the edge, the knife is still dull. Most likely the burr you are creating is so small you can't see it or feel it. So how the heck to you know its there?

See if your edge will shave only on one side of the bevel or feels "sharper" on one side. If that is the case, you are shaving with the burr or feeling the burr that is folded to one side. When you cut something its going to snap off eventually and you have a short lived edge. Another issue is that the burr can be straight in line with the edge so it shaves on both sides so the next trick is to try and slice newspaper. If your edge has a burr it won't cleanly slice the newspaper but will catch and tear it.

If you get your edges cleaned up to the point that they shave on both sides and cleanly slice (with a coarse edge) or push cut (with a fine edge) newspaper, your edges should be at least as good as factory, probably better.

Yes. I said this in my first reply, however not in as great detail as you sir. I also mentioned using a Sharpie to help you determine if you are matching the bevel of the knife and creating an apex. There are some good videos out there about this to include from Spyderco and the Sharpmaker system. Experience is the best teacher, do the research and then actually put it into place and figure out what does and doesn't work.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Stropbros.com is the way to go! Two great old woodworkers who KNOW what they're doing (and are friends of mine).

Last edited by czech1022; 08/07/22.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use regular barbers stropes. When putting a razors edge on a knife for the first time I use a 3" wide x 18" long 1/4" thick piece of leather strap.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
777 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,086 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.