Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I hope this case results in this piece being cleared up. I'd like to see pot expressly excluded.

If I traveled from LA to Oregon without any guns, smoked pot while I was there, then returned home with the intention of never smoking pot again, does that make my guns illegal. Does that mean that I can no longer legally buy a gun?

I'd say no and honestly - I think the question is there so if they were to bust you as a drug addict later and found out you bought a gun in the past, they can simply stack more charges on you. If you're buying it's like MEPS - you answer the way you know to get what you want. No intelligent person is going to self- identify/answer in a way to fail the form and then be shocked.

"No" just means "new opportunities"

Me

BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
.... shall not be infringed.
there ya GO, that's the correct answer
There the $64 question...if the black-and-white verbiage of "shall not be infringed" gets interpreted to mean everything from Ruger Number 1's to M249's, will 3/4's of states be open to a re-write of the 2A? If so, how far would 3/4's be wiling to go? I'm thinking, in typical libtard fashion, they will overreach with any suggested modifications and come up with something that can't get ratified.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Was either NFA 1934 or GCA 68 ever voted on by congress and signed into law by a president? If not, they're both unconstitutional. Getting a veto-proof majority of strict-constitutionalist legislators and passing reasonable laws should be a top priority, but the swamp will never allow that to happen!
Voted on by Congress, and signed into "law" by the President - does NOT make laws Constitutional!
That decision rests on SCOTUS, and they don't always get it right. Liberals want to legislate, and modify the Constitution from the bench.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hunter Biden didn’t have a problem answering no. Nothing happened to him. So if you smoked some crack the morning you go to buy a firearm you’re good.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm thinking that most of the drug users who shouldn't have a gun have other disqualifications as well.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amy has repeatedly said and written that she thinks the prohibition on firearm ownership for non-violent felons is unconstitutional.

We'll see how the others pile on.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Next up, if a felon convicted of a non-violent crime has paid his debt to society he should have his gun rights restored.
Self defense is a basic human right, not a right to be granted by a government.

There is already a process for that to happen. Once a convicted felon has successfully completed his sentence, including parole, probation, etc., they have to live a "clean" life with no further criminal convictions for ten years. After the ten years has passed, they can petition the original court to have their Constitutional rights restored. Most petitioners are successful.

Most cons can't stay out of trouble, so they can't file the petition.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Next up, if a felon convicted of a non-violent crime has paid his debt to society he should have his gun rights restored.

There is already a process for that to happen. Once a convicted felon has successfully completed his sentence, including parole, probation, etc., they have to live a "clean" life with no further criminal convictions for ten years. After the ten years has passed, they can petition the original court to have their Constitutional rights restored. Most petitioners are successful.

Ed
That's controlled by each state, a stolen car 50 years ago can and will prevent gun ownership

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by denton
In a bit of a surprising ruling, the US District Court in Utah, a federal law against being an unlawful user of, or addicted to a controlled substance was held to be unconstitutional.

The legal reason was that the law was vague. It doesn't specify how long ago, or how frequently the substance was used. So a single use 10 years ago might be disqualifying, or it might not.

So I'm not too happy about illegal drug users being entitled to possess firearms, but it is a 2A win, I guess.

This ruling is only binding in Utah. It will undoubtedly be appealed. It would not be surprising to see this issue reach SCOTUS.
Got a link?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by denton
In a bit of a surprising ruling, the US District Court in Utah, a federal law against being an unlawful user of, or addicted to a controlled substance was held to be unconstitutional.

The legal reason was that the law was vague. It doesn't specify how long ago, or how frequently the substance was used. So a single use 10 years ago might be disqualifying, or it might not.

So I'm not too happy about illegal drug users being entitled to possess firearms, but it is a 2A win, I guess.

This ruling is only binding in Utah. It will undoubtedly be appealed. It would not be surprising to see this issue reach SCOTUS.

No worries there sir. Nobody has ever been prohibited from buying a firearm for being a drug addict.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

Again, there's that vagueness. "Most petitioners are successful." as you say. That would likely lead one to believe "some" are not. The question now becomes why they are not when others are successful. Because the original court now has a makeup of judges that don't believe 10 years is long enough? Because the person came to Court in a T shirt and shorts and didn't show proper respect to the Court? Because they are poor and can't show evidence of a job and being an upstanding citizen?

If not successful in their petition, can they petition to a higher Court? All at their expense of course. Unless they're poor.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
378 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.