Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello folks, I’ll preface with saying I know very little about fly fishing. That said, I like the look of shadow boxed flys and am looking for someone experienced enough to tie me 4 flys, 2 for me, 2 for my hunting buddy so I can box them to hang in our offices.

I am willing to pay someone whatever the going rate is for their time, and will provide black bear hair from bears we harvested together, as well as enough hair for the person willing to help, to use for their own flys.

I am thinking XXL musky flys (mice??- grins) for a good showpiece (not actual use) with maybe a touch of Fox hair or red feathers mixed in—creativity is fine, just something with a little wow factor.

I am open to suggestions on this. As mentioned very limited experience.

Thank you for your time. If someone would prefer to message me directly that is up to the task, I am fine with that.

MK

MK
GB2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try Big Y fly company. I tie flys, but buy some from them that are a pain to tie. Cheap and well made for the most part.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Might one post up a pic or approximate rendering of what one is after? That or reference to a pattern published elsewhere.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/13/22.

1Minute
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great idea, I’ll try to cobble something together.

MK
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess my suggestion is there is no better time to start tying than now. You might be surprised how quick you pick it up. You probably have plenty of bear hair for a few mistakes. I encourage anyone that is a fly fisherman to learn to tie. I get a lot of personal satisfaction catching a fish with one of my flies. There are limitless you tube videos that will guide you thru step by step on how to tie each fly. My vise and a few materials were the first purchase I made after I bought my rod n reel setup and a assortment of common saltwater flies. Learning to tie sucked me further into the sport. I am all thumbs and the most unhandy guy you ever met. If I learned to tie anyone can. Regardless of not answering your question I hope you find what your looking for. Tight lines.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Few years back, there was a kid on here from Alaska, selling flies. His father posts here a good bit but for the life of me, can not remember either ones handle. Maybe someone else knows who I am talking about. (Isn't getting old fun)

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Tying is a near must unless one happens to live next door to Bailey's. Also a good excuse to pause while traveling and pick up roadkill.

A couple of my Steelhead boxes
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It's amazing what some of those fish will go after. More hook than fly and they'll still come up for a grab.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very nice. Those flys are works of art. Fish isn’t bad either. 😁

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Been a killer fly lately on SC Alaska lakes bought a couple cant remember where think its a Damsal or Dragon fly emerging any idea where to buy some?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Few years back, there was a kid on here from Alaska, selling flies. His father posts here a good bit but for the life of me, can not remember either ones handle. Maybe someone else knows who I am talking about. (Isn't getting old fun)

I bet that was Sitka Deer's son. He's a hell of a tyer.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it was. Thanks.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by MK257
Hello folks, I’ll preface with saying I know very little about fly fishing. That said, I like the look of shadow boxed flys and am looking for someone experienced enough to tie me 4 flys, 2 for me, 2 for my hunting buddy so I can box them to hang in our offices.

I am willing to pay someone whatever the going rate is for their time, and will provide black bear hair from bears we harvested together, as well as enough hair for the person willing to help, to use for their own flys.

I am thinking XXL musky flys (mice??- grins) for a good showpiece (not actual use) with maybe a touch of Fox hair or red feathers mixed in—creativity is fine, just something with a little wow factor.

I am open to suggestions on this. As mentioned very limited experience.

Thank you for your time. If someone would prefer to message me directly that is up to the task, I am fine with that.

MK

New to the forum just came by this post. Was just seeing if you came across what your looking for or still interested in flies. I do tie Muskie flies. I can make mice out of deer hair. Let me know.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Yes it was. Thanks.

That lad is almost 30, a business owner, with two kids, doing amazing stuff. His daughter at 4 tied a bunch of shadow box flies that need to be displayed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Contact your local chapter of Project Healing Waters, They tie some wonderful flies and build some of the nicest fly rods i have seen and used. they are all disabled vets help support our vets, they are a pleasure to work with. Rio7

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
PM sent to you...............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.