#17432101 07/17/22
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks,
I've got a new USP in 9mm. I bought it as a house pistol, but since NJ was forced to allow us to exercise our rights without prejudice
I'm going to apply for a CC permit. I want to use the USP, so I need a high-quality leather and lined owb right hand holster. Also need to find someplace to purchase some extra mags.
I know this isn't the smallest pistol to carry but we need to qualify with every pistol we intend to carry. So, until I get another permit to purchase a handgun the USP will have to do. This way I can get some range time with the 9mm.

Any advice you can can pass along to me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time, help and consideration.
Semper Fi
Soup

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out Galco holsters. Buy clothes a size or 2 bigger to facilitate carrying a firearm. Carry at least 1 spare magazine. Search online for hk mags, cdnn used to carry them but not sure now.

Last edited by Esox357; 07/17/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Soup
Folks,
I've got a new USP in 9mm. I bought it as a house pistol, but since NJ was forced to allow us to exercise our rights without prejudice
I'm going to apply for a CC permit. I want to use the USP, so I need a high-quality leather and lined owb right hand holster. Also need to find someplace to purchase some extra mags.
I know this isn't the smallest pistol to carry but we need to qualify with every pistol we intend to carry. So, until I get another permit to purchase a handgun the USP will have to do. This way I can get some range time with the 9mm.

Any advice you can can pass along to me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time, help and consideration.
Semper Fi
Soup
Are hollow points still illegal in NJ?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You will not like how OWB holsters conceal. There are many IWB holsters that are comfortable, functional, and conceal well.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Raferman
Are hollow points still illegal in NJ?
They almost got Tony on that charge.

[Linked Image from static.wikia.nocookie.net]

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Milt Sparks, Desantis speed scabbard is a great holster and contrary to TRH's statement you can absoutey conceal with an OWB holster and do it well

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents,
I ordered a couple of mags today online from H&K. Expensive!!
Also ordered their target trigger kit-2 week wait on that. I was thinking about a site that had extended magazine releases made of aluminum I'm not sure they would work in a holster, which I haven't had much luck finding.
I'll keep looking.
Soup

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anymore comments??
I’m having a little difficulty finding a Quality OWB Lined Leather holster
Thank you for your consideration
Soup

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anymore comments??
Soup
check out Brigade gunleather they offer lining for holsters and make them for USP

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Carry guns get worn/ dinged up.
As such, dont worry about it and go Kydex.
My P30L rides in a Fobus paddle.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Anymore comments??
Soup

E-bay - there's generally a decent selection of Safariland holsters in the ALS holsters, or the Safariland paddles, or other models for the USP.

I like the ALS, but YMMV.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Anymore comments??
Soup

The USP is a great piece but it's on the big side. Although concealed carry is legal in Jersey, I'd still expect to get hassled above and beyond the call of duty if someone spots your pistol. For that alone, I'd focus on nailing the concealment part and worry about materials later.

The holster is a big part of the solution, but the belt is every bit as important. With that in mind, most cutting-edge makers have moved to Kydex. Most of those who still work in leather have gone to horsehide. Of those Kramer https://www.kramerleather.com/ is probably the best. Horsehide is stiffer and stronger than cowhide, so the holster maker can use thinner stock, which helps you conceal the pistol.

Lined cowhide is much bulkier than horsehide or Kydex, so it makes the entire package much bigger. It's also softer and stretches more easily, so the gun will quickly sag out from your body more quickly and be easier to spot. That increases the risk of getting spotted and means you'll replace the holster more often.

I'd look at a Kydex OWB design from someone like https://www.krounds.com/product-category/manufacturer/ or one of the semi-custom makers. I'd also get a good 1.5" nylon belt and a couple of Kydex mag pouches. You'll be far more comfortable in the long run and the pistol will conceal better.

I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've been carrying in non-permissive environments for decades and the last rig I'd choose is a lined cowhide holster.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john
Anymore comments??
Soup

The USP is a great piece but it's on the big side. Although concealed carry is legal in Jersey, I'd still expect to get hassled above and beyond the call of duty if someone spots your pistol. For that alone, I'd focus on nailing the concealment part and worry about materials later.

The holster is a big part of the solution, but the belt is every bit as important. With that in mind, most cutting-edge makers have moved to Kydex. Most of those who still work in leather have gone to horsehide. Of those Kramer https://www.kramerleather.com/ is probably the best. Horsehide is stiffer and stronger than cowhide, so the holster maker can use thinner stock, which helps you conceal the pistol.

Lined cowhide is much bulkier than horsehide or Kydex, so it makes the entire package much bigger. It's also softer and stretches more easily, so the gun will quickly sag out from your body more quickly and be easier to spot. That increases the risk of getting spotted and means you'll replace the holster more often.

I'd look at a Kydex OWB design from someone like https://www.krounds.com/product-category/manufacturer/ or one of the semi-custom makers. I'd also get a good 1.5" nylon belt and a couple of Kydex mag pouches. You'll be far more comfortable in the long run and the pistol will conceal better.

I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've been carrying in non-permissive environments for decades and the last rig I'd choose is a lined cowhide holster.

Okie John

Okie, your krounds link says they're closing their business.

Soup - there's really no need for a lined holster for concealed carry. They're expensive to make and limited availability. Just stick with the well established leaders in holster making for leather - Rosen, Milt Sparks, Desantis, Galco. Horsehide isn't necessary but it's nice. Be warned that most plastic holsters on the market are just as bulky or more bulky than good leather. You will spend more for a truly thin kydex holster, unless you make your own.

Nylon belts need to be reinforced and double thickness, such as the Wilderness Instructors belt. For leather belts, none better than Milt Sparks. Consider shopping for a more concealable pistol. Many of the slimmer compacts can be carried more comfortably and easily concealed OWB.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mitch Rosen 5JR, great retention and hugs close to the body. They ain’t cheap but I’ve owned several for various pistols, never been disappointed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of great suggestions already.

I really like El Paso Saddlery’s #88 Street Combat for carrying my G23.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once you qualify with, and get your permit to carry the USP, is there a way to qualify again, easily, with a smaller and lighter pistol?

You will rationalize your way into not carrying if that pistol is your only option.

And carrying a lined leather holster in the long term, the lining will accumulate grit and dirt that will damage the finish that I assume you are trying to preserve.

Think kydex, and think about carry weapons that weigh less loaded than the USP does empty.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.