24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,128
S
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
S
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,128
458 Socom


Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
BP-B2

Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 1,193
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2021
Posts: 1,193
Originally Posted by steve4102
458 Socom

A guy at work has a Socom that he built. Nice but, expensive to shoot. He has dies for it but, hasn't got everything up and running yet.


Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15,858
H
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
H
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15,858
Buddy dropewd his Ruger bolt .450 into a magpul. Looks cool but is a tank.


Been close to buying one several times
Am no fan of Boyds or anybother laminate stock.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,539
J
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
J
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,539
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
In a #1 I'd go 45/70. I have ran 350g Hornady flat noses up to 2100 fps in my marlin guide gun. My gg is not ported though and as I've gotten older those loads are too much. ....

The Barnes 300 grain TSX flat point is a nice hunting bullet.

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 6,217
H
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 6,217
My Ruger #1 chamber is about to get stretched out to .45-90. I should be able to run smokeless .45-70 loads, and Trail Boss or BP .45-90 in the same rifle, sort of like .38 Special and .357 Mag.


Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC-A B3

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15,858
H
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
H
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 15,858
CDNN out of the stainless #1s in .450 BM

A blued .44 mag reamed to .445 Supermag might be cool. Get ya a rim at least.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/17/22.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,578
K
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,578
Originally Posted by frogman43
I searched for, and found, a Ruger #1 Lipseys special in 45/70 . It's a #1C with the Circassian walnut and a 26" tube. I have both cast lead, and jacketed handloads for it and can cover ANY animal on the Continent that I wish to hunt!


Frog---OUT!


Still kick myself for seeing one of those on a local gun rack and not getting it, years ago. Also, I remember seeing the anniversary model #1 45-70 for about $1200 new. Now they are double that

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,298
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
To address the OP's question, I have both a .45-70 and a .458 SOCOM. The .45-70 is very versatile and can be quite powerful, but an AR with that much THUMP is a lot of fun.

I am a .45-70 guy but the Bushmaster and the SOCOM interest me.
My biggest problem with the AR is throwing. 75 to 85 cents on the ground every shot.


Here is a full auto Bushmaster at Texas Guns. The last part of the video is best. About 30 seconds total.

https://www.facebook.com/texasgunshop/videos/1691120264237731


Slim
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,194
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,194
about 5 years ago, I went into Bass Pro in Reno with every intent to get a DPMS AR-10, saw them advertised and wanted one.

They were out of them. guy behind the counter said we have this 450 Bushmaster on clearance. I knew little to nothing about 450 BM, but it was $499. after some basic research on my phone, I bought it. not long after I found ammo at about .75c per round and bought 1000 rds. I Don't shoot it much, and never hunted with it, but In My humble opinion if you're going tp deer hunt with that cannon, you're going to blow the deer in half. It is a beast. I can't fire it more than about 4 or 5 rounds without dislocating my shoulder.

that thing is made to drop a rhino.

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,194
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,194
Originally Posted by william_iorg
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
To address the OP's question, I have both a .45-70 and a .458 SOCOM. The .45-70 is very versatile and can be quite powerful, but an AR with that much THUMP is a lot of fun.

I am a .45-70 guy but the Bushmaster and the SOCOM interest me.
My biggest problem with the AR is throwing. 75 to 85 cents on the ground every shot.


Here is a full auto Bushmaster at Texas Guns. The last part of the video is best. About 30 seconds total.

https://www.facebook.com/texasgunshop/videos/1691120264237731

450 BM right now is roughly $1.50 / rd

IC-B B4

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 9,174
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 9,174
Originally Posted by strikeu
Originally Posted by william_iorg
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
To address the OP's question, I have both a .45-70 and a .458 SOCOM. The .45-70 is very versatile and can be quite powerful, but an AR with that much THUMP is a lot of fun.

I am a .45-70 guy but the Bushmaster and the SOCOM interest me.
My biggest problem with the AR is throwing. 75 to 85 cents on the ground every shot.


Here is a full auto Bushmaster at Texas Guns. The last part of the video is best. About 30 seconds total.

https://www.facebook.com/texasgunshop/videos/1691120264237731

450 BM right now is roughly $1.50 / rd


It's not that bad for me, I load .45-70 and use basically the same bullets and powder. I have primers, too, I shoot .45 ACP quite a bit. Cases are a little pricey but last really good.

It's still not as cheap to shoot as a 5.56, though.

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,048
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,048
Originally Posted by strikeu
about 5 years ago, I went into Bass Pro in Reno with every intent to get a DPMS AR-10, saw them advertised and wanted one.

They were out of them. guy behind the counter said we have this 450 Bushmaster on clearance. I knew little to nothing about 450 BM, but it was $499. after some basic research on my phone, I bought it. not long after I found ammo at about .75c per round and bought 1000 rds. I Don't shoot it much, and never hunted with it, but In My humble opinion if you're going tp deer hunt with that cannon, you're going to blow the deer in half. It is a beast. I can't fire it more than about 4 or 5 rounds without dislocating my shoulder.

that thing is made to drop a rhino.

Lol! Easy to tell somebody who doesn't know big bores. They don't "blow deer in half" and they ain't Rhino guns. FWIW I'm a 45-70 guy who used to be a 450 Marlin guy. The less potent 450 Bushmaster is somewhat appealing to me but I haven't got one

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 51,773
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 51,773
This thread cracks me up, over and over again.

I can do anything I want with a .45-70 so far as bullets/loads etc. It runs circles around the little baby .45s. Fella can take one well aimed shot and the deal is done, or he can spray and pray....

Like my hi-tech sight sittin' there behind the trigger?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, I know, it's hard to see. Never felt a need to mount the scope and here's why.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Funny thing is you can do the same with a levermatic. Been there, done that too.

Got little use for AR platforms these days. Someone comes knockin' with one of those I'll just take it and call it good.


I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain


Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,558
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,558
.450 bushmaster? 😂😂😂 ….oh, wait your serious?
Sorry, I made my choice years before it was conceived. 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,578
K
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,578
With factory loads, they are both loaded down quite a bit. One for old guns, and one for ARs.
Handloading can boost the performance of both.

In an area where both are legal, I'd go 45-70. But southern MI uses the damn case length that Indiana started with. So 450 it is.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 258
T
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 258
The .450 ShrubMaster should have been designed with a .458 bullet. The base of the case is plenty large enough to run a bit less taper to accommodate a .458 caliber projo.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 07/17/22.
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 256
E
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 256
Ruger also made the #1 in .460 s&w. Another option. And i just looked and it has a 20 twist barrel, so i wouldnt think youd be limited to the hotrod 200 grain ammo.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 898
L
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 898
Originally Posted by steve4102
458 Socom
This is how you tell everyone that you didn’t read the OP without saying “I didn’t read the OP””


Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,514
B
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,514
One thing I've found nice about my 350 legend in an AR is that brass is relatively cheap so I don't worry too much if I can't find it after the shot. With my 458 socom I put in a fairly good effort to find brass which sometimes slowed down the rabbit hunting.

I had a bunch of more pointy NBTs that were 300g and relatively thin skinned so they expanded easy. They were originally made for muzzle loading sabots but us socom guys had them run a bunch for sps without the sabots I bought 1000 of them and later sold off what I had left here for too cheap. I could have used them in my 45/70 with 1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag. They worked well on Jack rabbits and gallon water jugs at a bit over 2000fps.

I still think I'd go 45/70 in a number 1 and only go bushy in an AR or a little bolt gun like an AR mag fed ruger American.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 07/17/22.
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 256
E
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
One thing I've found nice about my 350 legend in an AR is that brass is relatively cheap so I don't worry too much if I can't find it after the shot. With my 458 socom I put in a fairly good effort to find brass which sometimes slowed down the rabbit hunting.

I had a bunch of more pointy NBTs that were 300g and relatively thin skinned so they expanded easy. They were originally made for muzzle loading sabots but us socom guys had them run a bunch for sps without the sabots I bought 1000 of them and later sold off what I had left here for too cheap. I could have used them in my 45/70 with 1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag. They worked well on Jack rabbits and gallon water jugs at a bit over 2000fps.

I still think I'd go 45/70 in a number 1 and only go bushy in an AR or a little bolt gun like an AR mag fed ruger American.

Bb

458 socom / rabbit hunting.... sure youre using enough gun?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

Link Copied to Clipboard
CTV-TRX
Who's Online Now
642 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3-22

UDG-IP









Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.071s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 0.9482 MB (Peak: 1.0986 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2022-09-26 13:51:45 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS