#17427743 07/15/22
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents
I have a Harris bipod that mounts on the sling swivel hole . Works fine on my 1V but it would really mar up the barrel on my 1a. What do folks use?
I’m not against purchasing another bipod but on the Harris web site I saw no mention of No.1 rifle application.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Soup

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally, I would use nothing. I wouldn't turn a delightful little single shot stalking rifle such as a 1A into an awkward contraption with a bipod mounted on the barrel.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just use a back pack instead of bi-pod on a fine rifle like a Ruger # 1 -1A . or buy a different rifle for a bi-pod ? maybe same cartridge as the 1A ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I've been carrying a light pair of adjustable shooting sticks the last few years. I've seen more than a few guys go into a panic during the short game, when they realize their bipods won't get them above the vegetation. My sticks allow me heights of between 20-62 inches. And they don't add weight to, or upset the balance of my rifle, as Gary intimated above.

Still, when the veggy height will allow, I always prefer to shoot off my pack.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/16/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
OP......you ever shoot/kill stuff?
If a beginner, so be it.

But if of some supposed experience, this thread is just silly.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I've been carrying a light pair of adjustable shooting sticks the last few years. I've seen more than a few guys go into a panic during the short game, when they realize their bipods won't get them above the vegetation. My sticks allow me heights of between 20-62 inches. And they don't add weight to, or upset the balance of my rifle, as Gary intimated above.

Yup, sticks. Can buy or make cheap.
Been around since....................forever?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
soup-not sure the 1a is you kind of gun-pm me and we can work a swap-got plenty of stuff you can hook a bipod to wink

Seriously though, not sure they make a bipod specifically for a ruger 1a that would fit your application-it is your gun so make it yours and slap that bipod on there if you want and go kill stuff with it!! let the next owner worry about the scratches and what not!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Soup, I love my bi pods. My rifles all have them when I am hunting. But my #1 in .300 H & H never has one on it do to the style of fore end. I just adapt my hunting style to take this into account.

Molon Labe
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Fellows
I just got a reply from Harris. They do not make anything to adapt the 1a.
You would have to add a swivel stud to the forend. That's not going to happen!
After reading all the posts I'm kind of glad.
Thank you all for your input.
Soup

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a #3 w a varmint bbl 24".
B forend looked wrong on it ( swapped to #1 furniture ) so I got a Tropical forend and am adding a stud.

Would not do it to a regular A model.
IMHO an A is a stalking rifle like others have said.

Get a set of shooting sticks or get off the bags/ bench and practice field positions.

My B is a .22 250 so wears a Harris. Almost all of its shooting is from bipods

Still think a 1A or RSI in 35 rem would be sweet woods rig.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/18/22.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a #1 that started out as a .270 1B in 1978. After re-barreling with a .25 caliber Douglas barrel, 22" and profiled to match the Ruger barrel (in effect mimicking a 1A), and chambering for Savage .250-3000, it just looked dumb with the 1B fore arm. So, I cut it shorter, slimmed it, and fitted an ebony tip. Ten coats gloss spar varnish blocked out between coats, and the final coat rubbed out and waxed to provide a subtle luster. Then the butt didn't match so I had to re-finish it the same way. Mimics an intensive oil finish at arms length.

Only thing left is to re-checker the forearm and scare up a barrel band sling swivel because I surely don't want to put a stud in the fore arm. Thinking to do a simple single checkering panel on the bottom, a long narrow triangle running forward from the receiver to just shy of the screw, a la vintage Germanic single shot stalking rifles.

It'll dump five into 3/4MOA regularly, with enough 1/2MOA groups to keep me at it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/18/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Personally, I would use nothing. I wouldn't turn a delightful little single shot stalking rifle such as a 1A into an awkward contraption with a bipod mounted on the barrel.

THIS!

Personally I use a BogPod. Plenty steady.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Yup, sticks. Can buy or make cheap.
Been around since....................forever?

I use those fiberglass rods they use for driveway markers. They sell'em in the dollar store for $5 each.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use a Primos Trigger Stix, Gen 2, short version, when shooting my #1-A. Works great.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I definitely wouldn’t want anything touching my barrel. Could affect accuracy. Not to mention that it would affect balance and handling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stoney Point shooting sticks! Been using them for close to 30 years with my .22 hornet and .218 bee #1’s for whistlepigs. From standing shots to prone…versatility no bipod could hope to match.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
494 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.