-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the dot is properly zeroed, if it’s on the target, you’ll hit, pretty much without regard to your position. Thats how the tactical folks get away with red dots mounted all over their carbines.

You could always remove the beads. Don’t know if they’re threaded or pressed in, but they will come off, one way or the other. Or buy one of the Meadow Creek Mounts dedicated to the FF. It mounts on the rib, behind any beads, and should block your view of them. No other mount is needed, the FF screws right to the base.

https://meadowcreekmounts.myshopify.com/products/red-dot-rib-mount

The FF3 is very reliable, and has auto shut-off which shouldn’t leave you hanging with a dead battery. The battery cover is a giant PITA, but you don’t have to remove the sight to change it. Carry a spare.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I actually have one of those Meadow Creek mounts but never took it out of the package. I think I'm going to do a dedicated turkey 20 gauge and use a 22-24 inch barrel and see how that works out. Trying to use one shotgun as a semi-dedicated turkey gun has just not panned out. Seems odd to invest so much in a gun that if done properly will only get fired twice but it's the way to do it right. My turkey gun could also be a predator gun without compromises I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s quite fortuitous that the MC mount I bought for an O/U is also the one required for the Browning Gold Hunter 20, one of which I picked up in November. With a Carlsons turkey tube and #8.5 Apex Ninja shells, that thing throws a real swarm at 40 yards, which is as far as I can test it here. It puts them right on the bead too, so a sight isn’t really needed, but if I want to wrap that shiny thing up with crinkly camo tape, it gets the line of sight up over that, plus it would let me use it with slugs. Easy on and off too.

What’s really been lacking is a volunteer turkey to stand in front of all that nifty kit.

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/19/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Vortex Venom on my predator shotgun
I love it

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thought Aimpoint did a 2x RDS.

IMHO it takes 3X to make AR front sights disappear when using a regular scope.

OPs problem I think is mounting height. Of course raising the sight to lose the rib in view would proly mean adding a cheekriser to the stock.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
Seeing ribs and front sight are one of the things that happens when you have large FOV's, ust a matter of getting used to it and focusing on the target.

I've had a red dot on my turkey gun for three or four years. And after reading this post, I had to check if I could see the barrel because it honestly never entered my mind. Sure enough, it's there in all it's glory.

Too much thinking creates a problem that really isn't there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by erich
Seeing ribs and front sight are one of the things that happens when you have large FOV's, ust a matter of getting used to it and focusing on the target.

I've had a red dot on my turkey gun for three or four years. And after reading this post, I had to check if I could see the barrel because it honestly never entered my mind. Sure enough, it's there in all it's glory.

Too much thinking creates a problem that really isn't there.
Be interesting if it "goes away" the next time you use it. Kinda like noticing something about a co-worker you can't not notice all the time once you notice it the first time.

Very much agree on your last sentence. I'm guilty as all get out too often regarding overthinking.

Last edited by pointer; 07/01/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Very much agree on your last sentence. I'm guilty as all get out too often regarding overthinking.

You're not alone friend, I've written multiple chapters in that book too. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I believe your problem is the Burris mount putting the sight too close to your eyes. I have the Burris FF3 mounted on the ventilated rib with the MC and it is outstanding. No issues with the seeing the beads and it is low enough for good cheek weld. The sight needs to be about 12 inches from the eye.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Afternoon gents. Could you just put electrical tape (or camo) over the sights so they just look like the rest of the barrel??? GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TxJW
I believe your problem is the Burris mount putting the sight too close to your eyes. I have the Burris FF3 mounted on the ventilated rib with the MC and it is outstanding. No issues with the seeing the beads and it is low enough for good cheek weld. The sight needs to be about 12 inches from the eye.

That sounds plausible and I plan to find out before next season. Thanks

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sounds more like not being able to get past Cindy Cranford’s mole. wink

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Keep both eyes open. Don’t worry about the best way to re-invent the wheel. When that Tom comes out you’ll be staring a hole right through him and that red dot will be covering it.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BustemAgain
Keep both eyes open. Don’t worry about the best way to re-invent the wheel. When that Tom comes out you’ll be staring a hole right through him and that red dot will be covering it.

We have generous youth hunts here in my state and I want the sight picture to be very obvious for kids I take. I got a passel of them now that are getting to the age I feel comfortable taking them for friends and relatives. Don't want them confused at the moment of truth. I'm certain now the low mount I have made by Burris is why it's so bad on my gun compared to everyone else that didn't see it as an issue. My mount puts it too close to my eye and too low so I see the whole barrels in the picture and the beads don't come close to lining up so it makes you think they red dot must be off for the beads to be so far off.

Last edited by dimecovers5; 07/19/22.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.