Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cool pics at the link:

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-n...r-pilot-100th-birthday-celebrations.html

On Saturday, July 16, 2022, the last living D-Day Pathfinder Pilot, LtCol David Hamilton (USAF, Ret.) celebrated his centenary with the WWII Airborne Demonstration Team (ADT). Hamilton participated in airborne operations involving WWII ADT’s historic Douglas C-49 Skytrain, nicknamed Wild Kat, with ADT members parachuting from the aircraft in honor of his 100th birthday.

The airborne operations took place at the Frederick Regional Airport Army Airfield, in Frederick, Oklahoma. The airport, which first began operations in September 1942 as Frederick Army Airfield, a military pilot training facility, is the WWII ADT’s present day home.

LtCol Hamilton, the last surviving Pathfinder pilot from the Normandy Invasion of June 5th/6th, 1944, also flew troops/cargo in Operations Dragoon and Market-Garden, not to mention the Battle of the Bulge. Furthermore, Hamilton logged 51 combat missions flying Douglas RB-26 Invader ground attack aircraft in the Korean War, receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross for his service during this period.

Celebrations for Hamilton’s 100th birthday, which is actually July 20th, began on Saturday with a two-ship formation airborne operation to drop 40 parachutists on the ADT Krystal DZ. Wild Kat flew as lead with the group’s C-47 nicknamed Boogie Baby on her wing. During the flight, Hamilton took Wild Kat’s controls and flew for several minutes. Then, to Hamilton’s complete surprise, the Douglas B-26K Invader known as Special Kay (arriving from the Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth, Texas) and the Commemorative Air Force’s A-26 Invader Lady Liberty (arriving from Enid, Oklahoma), intercepted the flight. Hamilton was overwhelmed to see the Invaders fly past Wild Kat. He talked animatedly about the flight with its ‘surprise’ Invaders for the rest of the day!

As a 21-year-old, 1st Lt. Hamilton piloted aircraft number 14 of the 20 C-47s which took off late in the evening of June 5th, 1944, carrying ‘Pathfinders’ from the 82nd Airborne to drop behind enemy lines in Normandy, France. Hamilton’s Pathfinders made their jump at around 1:00 a.m. on June 6th. The Pathfinders primary mission involved setting up electronic homing equipment to help guide the aerial armada of 800+ additional C-47s that was already on its journey across the English Channel, about an hour behind Hamilton’s flight. From those aircraft, 13,000 paratroopers would drop into a living hell that night, to begin the Allied invasion of Europe and help bring about the end of WWII.

Today, Hamilton is the sole remaining pathfinder pilot from WWII. Having the chance to fly the same type of aircraft which he flew into history 78 years ago was the perfect gift to celebrate his centenary!

Last Living D-Day Pathfinder Pilot 100th Birthday Celebrations

74 views Jul 18, 2022 Saturday, July 16, 2022, the last living D-Day Pathfinder Pilot, LtCol David Hamilton (USAF, Ret.) celebrated his 100th birthday with the WWII Airborne Demonstration Team (ADT). Hamilton participated in airborne operations involving WWII ADT’s historic DC-3/C-47 aircraft, “Wild Kat” and ADT members who jumped in honor of his 100th birthday.

As a 21-year-old, 1st Lt. Hamilton piloted aircraft number 14 of the 20 C-47s that took off late the evening of June 5, 1944, carrying 82nd Airborne Pathfinders to drop them into France behind German lines. Hamilton dropped his Pathfinders around 1:00 a.m. on June 6. The mission of the Pathfinders was to set up electronic homing equipment to help guide the more than 800 C-47 aerial armada that was already crossing the English Channel an hour behind Hamilton’s flight. On those aircraft were 13,000 paratroopers that would drop into the dark of night at the start of the invasion of Europe in the Normandy region of France.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good for him, Happy Birthday. 👍👍

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A living legend and hero.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Glad we still have some living heroes left.

Thanks for posting this.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Good deal.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Thank you for posting this

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks much, good story well told.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
They were my heroes when I was a kid, they're still my heroes. Thanks for posting this, sent the link to my Air Force vet father too.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Same here. Practically all my father’s friends and business acquaintances were in one branch or another.

A farmer friend of mine who allowed me to hunt on his land was a paratrooper and jumped on D-day. One day, around ‘85, when I checked in with him at his little office, he showed me a Bronze Star that he had gotten in the mail that day. I believe he had single-handedly captured a dozen or so Germans.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for sharing.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1234, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,274
Posts18,448,369
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.