Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Maybe I'm late to the party, but been reloading now a couple of decades. Interested to hear users experiences with GRT as an aid in load development--good, bad, accurate, etc.? There are so many holes in manufacturers data with respect to new propellants/powders and new projectiles, complicated by the lack of availability of all of the above that I find I need to create loads out of whole cloth, and I'd like to have a baseline in facts or at least a SWAG. Already installed GRT and playing with it.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've just started playing with this as well. Still learning how to use it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used GRT a little and found that it yields results very similar to QUICKLOAD results. I know that for some cartridges QL gives erroneous solutions, but I don't load any of those myself. I think GRT takes user reports to fine tune their algorithms and that may set it apart from QuickLOAD for those cartridges, but I'd not assume that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
GRT is dependent on users submitting accurate data. Popular cartridges with lots of data submissions like the 6.5 CM for example, have been spot-on running what-ifs for me.

However, not-so-popular cartridges such as the 9.3x62mm? The predictions are not even close.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This doesn't lend much encouragement . . . .
Quote from GRT site

"Important announcement

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that my husband Gordon passed away on January 19th 2022.

Until further notice, this site stays online. Please note that Patreon contributions have been paused.

Initially, no additional submissions should be made to the GRTLab, or Translations, as no one has access to service the data.
Therefore, it will be impossible to update Powder Models, Calibers, and Bullet to the GRT database as an official release until the possibilities of continuing Gordon's fine work are explored.

Take care!
Chrissi "

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Oh boy...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I'm a first time user. I've started with inputting the specs for a 357 herrett since it wasn't in the database. I've not compared results to my barrel, only to the reloading manuals. Results have been within 10%, often closer. I've got some fine tuning to do as several case and chamber dimension inputs were swags or incomplete cartridge diagrams when available. I can't make the bore cross section error message go away. It says input is physically impossible. Not sure what i'm doing wrong here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A screenshot of what you're seeing might be helpful.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
This is the message i get

Attached Images
GRTCSError.png (66.58 KB, 275 downloads)
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Is Gordon's a free site or a program you purchase?
Soup

IC B3

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
it's free. just download it and run.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quickbeam

I think the value entered in that field is miscalculated. I am not familiar with the .357 Herrett so I'm not sure whether it's a .357 or a .358, but if you pull up other cartridges in the database you can see what the value should be. For .35 Whelen (.358") it is 63.780 mm sq, and for .357 Magnum it's 62.570 mm sq in the GRT database. Try one or the other and see if that issue goes away. If it was me, and I wasn't sure, I'd stick with the .357 Mag dimension just for the sake of safety.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quickbeam

Personally I would go to View/Change all units/imperial. Sometimes computer programs get confused when some of the settings are metric but others imperial which is the situation you have.

Swifty
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I've tried several different entries from 63 to 65 and the error message remains. Changed all variables to metric, then imperial and still it remains. I did finally get to fire the gun for the first time over my chronograph and compare numbers with GRT.
GRT predicted 1790 fps and 3600 psi
Measured actual velocity was 1,500 fps and pressure too low to fireform to a sharp shoulder.

Changing effective barrel cross section between anything reasonable could not bring the numbers to agree. I'm working on every variable to make sure the parameters are accurate.

J
J
GRT has been spot on for me with powders that have a high calibration...except for Vihtavuori N105 and 300 blackout subsonic loads. GRT overestimated velocity by > 200 fps.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
it's quite useful but it's not gospel. one thing I found that I know isn't right. is a 45.5 grain load of varget in a 308 with a 168 Barnes my gun yields 2740 with that load and it is a published load. but GRT says it's over 80,000 PSI.. which I'm pretty sure is not right even if you loaded it up in mil-spec brass I don't think you would get that high a PSI. but I haven't went through and done though water grain entry and all that for specific brass

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
it's quite useful but it's not gospel. one thing I found that I know isn't right. is a 45.5 grain load of varget in a 308 with a 168 Barnes my gun yields 2740 with that load and it is a published load. but GRT says it's over 80,000 PSI.. which I'm pretty sure is not right even if you loaded it up in mil-spec brass I don't think you would get that high a PSI. but I haven't went through and done though water grain entry and all that for specific brass

Nosler says 46 C with standard cup and core.

Hodgdons says 45.0 C

Barnes says you are 1 grain over max.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Hodgdons says 45.0 C

I think I just typed the number wrong on here it is 44.5 I will confirm that when I get home and re-enter it and see if I typed it wrong there also.. 99% sure I am not a grain over I am at bookmarks I will look at this tomorrow when I get back..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 44.5 with Barnes seating depth works. GRT defaults to 56.8 grains water CC, go up to 58 grains CC it works better. Take it down to 54 CC and it doesn’t even work at 44.5. 45.5 never works.

Swifty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Hodgdons says 45.0 C

what books that out of ?
mine's the Barn's number four

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

640 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,319
Posts18,449,295
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.