Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone using these for hunting?

Accuracy? Terminal performance ?
Load data compatibility?

They have some interesting designs for lighter 6mm &22

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I haven’t yet but plan to. I’m in another forum and the people there love them. They have two .224 bullets I would like to try in the 22 K Hornet. The 33and 36 grain. The 36grain looks like it will be fun. You can buy sample packs to see if they work before you spend big money on them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
son and I also plan on using 25 caliber Hammer bullets for hunting this year for antelope and deer out of my 257 Weatherby mags. ,i feel this bullet will still be accurate and hold together / stay together when it hits an animal out of a real fast rifle. i may also try them out of my 220 Swift soon too , 10 yr.old grandson i should load some for his little 556 rifle i will have him use too ? i feel you can`t go wrong with Hammer bullets in any cartridge for hunting.

Last edited by pete53; 07/15/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by PaintedDesert
I haven’t yet but plan to. I’m in another forum and the people there love them. They have two .224 bullets I would like to try in the 22 K Hornet. The 33and 36 grain. The 36grain looks like it will be fun. You can buy sample packs to see if they work before you spend big money on them.
I like that they have those 15 bullet sample packs to see of you like them. I ordered a sample of 70 grain 6mm to try in my 6x6.8 bolt rifle on pigs. They apparently shed the front part (hollow point area) shortly after entering the animal.
Did the folks using the 22s mention accuracy or terminal performance on game?
They’re expensive, but everything is these days.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Have you shot any of them Pete?
I’d be interested to see some comparisons in accuracy, penetration, weight retention etc.
they have good reviews but most aren’t too specific.

Greg
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by brayhaven
Originally Posted by PaintedDesert
I like that they have those 15 bullet sample packs to see of you like them. I ordered a sample of 70 grain 6mm to try in my 6x6.8 bolt rifle on pigs. They apparently shed the front part (hollow point area) shortly after entering the animal.
Did the folks using the 22s mention accuracy or terminal performance on game?
They’re expensive, but everything is these days.
Not too much talk of the 22cal bullets over in that forum. They were mostly into the bigger stuff like .280+ and they were very pleased with its accuracy and performance. Most said that if you had any questions they are happy to help you over there at Hammer with a phone call. That will help me since a few bullets won’t have a lot of load data published anywhere. Two cartridges I wish to try out will have next to no load data and I’m sure I can figure it out, but it’s nice to hear if someone else came up with the same numbers as me. I want to try the 175 grain in a 338-06 AI and the 33, 35 and 41 grain in the K Hornet.

Last edited by PaintedDesert; 07/15/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’d be interested to see some comparisons in accuracy, penetration, weight retention etc.

i have only shot 25 caliber bullets in my 257 Creedmoor and the Hammer bullets shot excellent on paper at 100 yards ,have not done anything else yet but this brand bullet does impress me so much. i will be using them this hunting season in son`s and my 257 Weatherbys . i bet Hammer`s retain bullet weight well like Nosler partitions and Swift A-frames do at high speed cartridge as these other bullets do for me.

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
My daughter and I both killed bucks last year with the 110 Hammer Hunter in a 6.5 creedmoor. They shoot one ragged hole with Sta Ball 6.5.

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
I have experience with 243 Win and 240 Weatherby with Hammers. 760 with the 55 grain 243 got me over 4K, well under MOA. I tried Varget and H380 with slightly larger groups. I've only shot one coyote so far with the 243 and needless to say he was deader than last years romance before it hit the ground.

I shoot the 70 grainer in the 240 with IMR-4350 and it also shot sub-MOA. 3662 fps average. I still need to ventilate a coyote with it, but I'm sure it well get the job done.

In my limited experience I've found them very easy to get to shoot accurately. I struggled with 80 and 85 Barnes in the 240 and never quite got the result I wanted.

Last edited by Yaddio; 07/17/22.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the 124 Hammer Hunter out of my 6.5 WSM (MV about 3200fps) the past two years on cow elk. The 2021 cow was broadside about 100 yards away, hit behind the shoulders and made a 30 yard dash before collapsing in the trees. The bullet exited leaving about a 1" exit hole, The 2020 cow elk was also shot about 100 yards away and broadside. The bullet entered through some muscle on the back of the shoulder, though an onside rib, though an offside rib and scapula, and exited. She ran about 40 yards. Meat loss was minimal around the bullet path. One of the petals of the all copper bullet was found under the far side hide. As the gutless method of dressing was used, the internal trauma was not checked.

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've got a load worked up with the 86gr Shock Hammer for my 327 Fed carbine. The accuracy is very good, but I haven't potted any game with them yet, so no terminal results.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

i plan on trying 1st some 135 gr. BERGER VLD bullets in my new 257 Weatherby mag rifle that has a Brux contour #4 , 7 1/2 twist 28 inch barrel on a Weatherby mark 5 action . if this bullet shoots well i might use it velocity will be 3100 fps? i also plan on trying Hammer 103 gr. bullets and if they shoot well at 3800 fps i probably will just use them because out too 500-600 yards these Hammer bullets will be shooting very flat for a antelope hunt and whitetail bucks. and speed kills. i will post on this site how well the 103 gr 25 caliber bullets do in my 257 Weatherby mag for you might be a week or so before i shoot them.Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 07/19/22.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I used the 220 Hammer Hunter in 35 Whelen last year on deer. I was able to run the Hammer bullet about 60 FPS faster than the 225 Accubond or TSX. The Hammer actually weighs 222 grains. Very accurate and has less bearing surface than most other bullets and can be driven a bit faster.
Terminal performance is outstanding

Last edited by jwp475; 07/19/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
well got bored this afternoon and decided to set the conograph up and shoot , 90 degrees -humid as heck-gusty 20 some miles per hour wind ,not very good conditions. so i wanted to test pressure while working up a load using the newer Nosler book. this is what the 103 gr. Hammer 25 caliber bullet did out of my 257 Weatherby mag. the last 3 shot group in this horrible wind at max.powder load ,new norma brass ,fed 215, Reloader 25 " Nosler reloading book " 103 gr. Hammer 25 cal. velocity was 3680fps average the 3 shot group was 1 1/4 measured all 3 were horizontal across from each other. i like what the rifle did in these conditions . now if i can get a cool day i will head to the 600 yard range next ! > another note it appears Hammer bullets in the 25 caliber 103 gr. bullet are around 200 + FPS faster than standard bullets, so far.

Last edited by pete53; 07/19/22.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
225 TSX and 222 grain Hammer less bearing surface on the Hammer

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i did a chart comparson 25 caliber on the Berger 135 gr. VLD bullet at 3100 FPS VS. Hammer 103 gr. at 3700 FPS out too 800 yards, with the Berger reloader manual , the 103 gr. Hammer bullet was a better bullet for my hunt . so i guess it will be Hammer time for my antelope hunt. these Hammer bullets just keep on impressing me with speed and accuracy .

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I shot a couple groups this morning with 70 gr Hammer Hunter and wasn’t impressed at all.
This rifle shoots everything well. And sone exceptionally well. Best I could do this morning was 2.3”. Glad they sell em in sample packs. I tried the things they suggested in their forum except crimping which I hate to do.
Underwhelmed so far.
Will try a few other things before giving up on them. Maybe they shoot best at scorching velocities?

Greg
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seeing as this is a varmint hunting thread it is hard to imagine what they would bring to varmint hunting that a traditional bullet wouldn't do at a considerable savings.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by erich
Seeing as this is a varmint hunting thread it is hard to imagine what they would bring to varmint hunting that a traditional bullet wouldn't do at a considerable savings.

That's true, the Hammers aren't cheap. The Barnes VG are a pretty explosive lead free, and much cheaper. My old 1-16 222 Rem loves the 30 grain VG, and the 50 grainers shoot well from a couple of my friends' 223s.

I shot a couple groups this morning with 70 gr Hammer Hunter and wasn’t impressed at all.
This rifle shoots everything well. And sone exceptionally well. Best I could do this morning was 2.3”. Glad they sell em in sample packs. I tried the things they suggested in their forum except crimping which I hate to do.
Underwhelmed so far.
Will try a few other things before giving up on them. Maybe they shoot best at scorching velocities?

I had to fiddle around around a fair bit to get the 86s to shoot well from my 327. Ended up burning up the entire box of 50 I had bought dialing in a winner.

Then I had to wait a couple months to get more, because they rotate production quite a bit. They did respond really quickly to an email inquiry asking about future supply, though, and the time estimate they shot me was really close.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Underwhelmed so far.

they have shot well for me at max.powder charges so far ? but i have 7 1/2 twist rifles for my bullets too and both are 25 caliber rifles 257 Creedmoor and my 257 WEATHERBY MAG. Brux barrels , Reloader powder , lapua and norma brass ? bench rest dies and i volume load ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.