Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Another point,
Some areas simply do not have the larger versions of the species.
South Carolina seldom has bragging rights for trophy whitetail as the crop feeding opportunites are not the equal of the midwest. Indiana breaks 170 inches with some regularity and I have seen pics of pick-up heads that are impossible to guess score being very much larger than that.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A non-rutting mature buck of any species in an area with high hunting pressure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blacktail and Mule deer. I've been deer hunting in the north east for almost 40 years and I've yet to see one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The really big muleys are very hard to get. I don't know how many times I've seen one on top of ridge where he can see the whole world. The second you put glass on him, he knows he's been seen and he vaporizes. I don't know how they know they've been seen but there's no doubt that they do.
I have a lot of respect for a hunter who has several of those big heads on the wall.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
200" public lands mule deer. There aren't very many of them, and they are in a class all by themselves when it comes to smart.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cas6969
Blacktail and Mule deer. I've been deer hunting in the north east for almost 40 years and I've yet to see one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by cas6969

laugh laugh

He's got a very valid point. grin

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
That damn mechanical robo deer the DNR puts out

I used to know an individual in Maryland , that shot a beautiful buck out a truck window with a flashlight. Bunny cop was behind his truck before he could blink. Like 4 years later his does the same stupid crap, including the Bunny cop and much to his surprise the same deer. Game Commision used his deer to build a robodeer and my used to be aquaintance blasted it again. He laughed , The warden laughed,His wife did not.... Truck , gun etc . all gone again. Plus a DUI..........

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Seems a guy can buy a big Muley, Coues, whitetail, Sitka or California Blacktail.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In early 80’s I hunted a old whitetail in Franklin county in N.C. for several years and caught up with him on my birthday in October….sitting in a climber on edge of of the river he came out of a honeysuckle thicket across the river…at 50 yards I missed him with a 308. Hunted that same tree all season and never saw him. Went back the next year on my birthday and sitting in same stand he came out and I killed him within 20 yards of where I shot at him the year before….at 7:30 pm on Oct 26 both shots….exactly a year apart. An old gentleman that hunted in the area told me he had been seeing him in a bean field for those 2 years….he was hunted by dog hunters for several seasons but lived in that honeysuckle thicket and I knew he was there by his sign, but no one else knew that and I have always said I just got lucky. He was old and past his prime but still carried a big 12 point rack and 180 lb. They are out there and know when they are being hunted and will go under ground if they get age on them…got to catch him before the rut and be lucky.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That was 7:30 am in above post….sorry.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Winnie70
In early 80’s I hunted a old whitetail in Franklin county in N.C. for several years and caught up with him on my birthday in October….sitting in a climber on edge of of the river he came out of a honeysuckle thicket across the river…at 50 yards I missed him with a 308. Hunted that same tree all season and never saw him. Went back the next year on my birthday and sitting in same stand he came out and I killed him within 20 yards of where I shot at him the year before….at 7:30 pm on Oct 26 both shots….exactly a year apart. An old gentleman that hunted in the area told me he had been seeing him in a bean field for those 2 years….he was hunted by dog hunters for several seasons but lived in that honeysuckle thicket and I knew he was there by his sign, but no one else knew that and I have always said I just got lucky. He was old and past his prime but still carried a big 12 point rack and 180 lb. They are out there and know when they are being hunted and will go under ground if they get age on them…got to catch him before the rut and be lucky.

Good job we share the same birth date. In 40 some years I’ve only killed two on my bday some due to having other tags prior to the day and others because in didn’t have a valid tag left. It sure makes it a good day when it happens on the day of remembrance and this year I will try to get my granddaughter to kill a black tail as a mentor on my birthday.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think this is the Idaho record non-typical P&Y mulie, taken about 20 years ago. If I remember the story right, it was 1 of 3 similar bucks hanging together before the rut. You don't just run out and shoot you one of these. I do remember that he said it jumped the string and he hit it a bit far back. They had to track it the next morning and there was almost no blood on the ground. The tracks were quite small for it's size, about like a doe, which made tracking very difficult.

[Linked Image from a.espncdn.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The toughest buck to kill is your next one. After all, the others you have killed are already dead right?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Big Muley timber buck for us flatlanders. Have to contend with altitude and unfamiliar territory.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one who knows you are there like beaver 10 just said.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve only hunted whitetail deer but a mature buck that lives on public land or several small private parcels and has been around long enough to get shot at or bust a hunter is just about impossible to hunt. They’re pretty much 100% nocturnal by rifle season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good old fashion deer drive exposes those nocturnal deer.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Had an old whitetail I jumped several times, finally got him. This was on 5,000 acres in Ozona. It the only place I’ve ever hunted that Was open enough to walk around and hunt the hills , see down in the valleys.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
A good old fashion deer drive exposes those nocturnal deer.
I miss those days.

As a kid I did a lot of deer drives with my uncles and cousins at deer camp in the Northern lower. Deer hunting has changed a lot here since the 80’s. As far as MI goes deer drives are pretty much a thing of the past anywhere other than the U.P. They were a a lot of fun back in the day.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.