Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here it would be a pool under the house. I know of a few in the nearest town, all have pumps and the smart ones all have backup pumps and generators.

No swamp coolers in the humidity we deal with.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by strikeu
anything underground will leak. period. end of discussion.

Alabama, basement leaked. Storm shelter, anything underground in Alabama will leak, unless you get a metal or fiberglass box
Virginia, daylight basement. leaked. fortunately we were renting so not my problem.
Washington, same type daylight basement leaked. this place we owned and had to rip out the wall covering 3 times in 15 years and try to seal it up. Finally sold it after patching the 3rd time, I'm sure by now the new owners know ...it leaks.

our final house in Alabama- Slab foundation. I can buy air conditioners all day for what dealing with a headache of leaking basement and associated repair costs.
My mother's in Western WA (think rain 6 months a year) and has a basement. We've never found a leak or mold in her basement. House has been there for 50 years.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jnyork
Current heat wave got me thinking again about this question: Why are there not more homes with basements in the hot country? We live in Wyoming where is has been in upper 90's for the last several days, but we are nice and cool with our swamp cooler running in the afternoons. If we really had to, we could retreat to our fully finished basement where a jacket is required even on the hottest days.

I can understand not having a basement due to water table woes, but we hardly ever see new homes with basements even in dry areas. What's up with this do you think?

I am puzzle by the same thing! A basement, whether you finish it or not, is one of the best investments pertaining to home construction that can be made! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by strikeu
anything underground will leak. period. end of discussion.

Alabama, basement leaked. Storm shelter, anything underground in Alabama will leak, unless you get a metal or fiberglass box
Virginia, daylight basement. leaked. fortunately we were renting so not my problem.
Washington, same type daylight basement leaked. this place we owned and had to rip out the wall covering 3 times in 15 years and try to seal it up. Finally sold it after patching the 3rd time, I'm sure by now the new owners know ...it leaks.

our final house in Alabama- Slab foundation. I can buy air conditioners all day for what dealing with a headache of leaking basement and associated repair costs.
My mother's in Western WA (think rain 6 months a year) and has a basement. We've never found a leak or mold in her basement. House has been there for 50 years.

Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island. I guess maybe in the Okanogan or Yakima area desert, it might not be that bad.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The requirements for modern basement construction are more expensive than they were 50 years ago. If a company is building a tract of houses to sell, they don't dig basements. It also depends on where they are. Some areas have too much ground water to dig one.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by richj
WAG: Real estate taxes. They'd include it as living space. So your 2000sf house is now 4000 sf.

A breezeway between a house and garage is taxed as living space in some areas.

This may be true in some locations. Here, if the basement is incomplete, no taxes are payed for the basement it’s entirety! Many people intentionally leave a portion “unfinished” as to “not” pay taxes! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Current heat wave got me thinking again about this question: Why are there not more homes with basements in the hot country? We live in Wyoming where is has been in upper 90's for the last several days, but we are nice and cool with our swamp cooler running in the afternoons. If we really had to, we could retreat to our fully finished basement where a jacket is required even on the hottest days.

I can understand not having a basement due to water table woes, but we hardly ever see new homes with basements even in dry areas. What's up with this do you think?

I am puzzle by the same thing! A basement, whether you finish it or not, is one of the best investments pertaining to home construction that can be made! memtb
Cheapest square footage there is.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut
my wife....

won't even go into my basement gun/reloading room
My kind of wife!!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Also Plate Tectonics in some coastal areas.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I watched the home being built next to mine and it took the builder 6 months to chisel out enough rock to put in a foundation. The equipment had to be repaired about every 3 weeks and it took a few days to weld up all the cracks.

So I guess your question on why some homes do not have basements, could be because the homes are built on a rock pile.

All the homes in our neighborhood is slab construction.

Now a subdivision near by has a home that has a partial basement. It took them 1 1/2 years to chisel out the hole for the 1/2 basement for the home.
2 or 3 days at the most with a big hoe and a breaker.

Evidently D. R. Horton does not know how to build a house
If breaking rock were that big of a deal road construction would never get done.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
I watched the home being built next to mine and it took the builder 6 months to chisel out enough rock to put in a foundation. The equipment had to be repaired about every 3 weeks and it took a few days to weld up all the cracks.

So I guess your question on why some homes do not have basements, could be because the homes are built on a rock pile.

Now a subdivision near by has a home that has a partial basement. It took them 1 1/2 years to chisel out the hole for the 1/2 basement for the home.
I hope whoever is doing that provides the Vaseline. We got three Rock breakers I know a bit about this and that is horrible it should be a lawsuit involved.
My thoughts exactly. Our county sits on heavy rock and 1 subdivision in our town had 3 or 4 houses built on rock. Big hoe, breaker and pad the rock base after you get it out. Bet he wasn't a week on each.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe builders do it because they can make more profit on a house, of the same total square footage, without a basement. Follow the money argument.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I hope whoever is doing that provides the Vaseline. We got three Rock breakers I know a bit about this and that is horrible it should be a lawsuit involved.
My thoughts exactly. Our county sits on heavy rock and 1 subdivision in our town had 3 or 4 houses built on rock. Big hoe, breaker and pad the rock base after you get it out. Bet he wasn't a week on each.
if someone wants to learn how to break rock I'll put them on a job in Branson Missouri you will learn how to break rock...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Water table too high. My uncle just had to have one and it cost him something like another $75k twenty years ago.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Around here they blast out and haul it off in Euc’s.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Around here they blast out and haul it off in Euc’s.
Blast close to existing homes and you will have issues.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/19/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Location I'm sure can be a deterrent. Ours has tile inside and outside of foundation. Our sump pump rarely turns on.

Only had a few times where I had to sandbag the walkout doors (2 of them).

I wouldn't move into a house without a basement, that's just me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

if someone wants to learn how to break rock I'll put them on a job in Branson Missouri you will learn how to break rock...
At least it will all roll downhill.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the building site is slightly elevated on the lot, can strategically placed culverts around the basement, that taper off to lower ground, prevent leaking?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

What makes you think there isn’t? Every house around here has one.

Get out of your small world.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,454 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.