Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've played with one a bit. It's a damn fine cartridge, but it's commercially dead. Supply chain issues are only going to get worse and it's going to be hell on finding components. Winchester only makes a run every several years, and with them being behind on just about everything I wouldn't look for help from the parent company anytime soon. If I were to purchase one, it would be on the premise that it could not be my primary do everything rifle.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if standard 120-140 grain bullets will kill what you hunt without having the latest high bc bullets get it if it feeds fine
long actions are great but i would do a 280 before a 284 on it ...that kinda defeats the purpose in my mind
several people are making 284 brass currently so waiting on winchester to make a run should be a non issue
if you ask for opinions you will surely get them on the campfire

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude of The Gallery,never disappoints,in it's Magnificent Grandeur and only because you ladies are doing your BEST...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You gals' uncanny "understanding" of Mechanics,is just simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Be sure to read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

If only to give you CLUELESS Kchunts another chance. Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint.

As an availability aside. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is Shamu or ShamWow? (or both?) Asking for a friend.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it in the manner which satiates you most,as you desperately clamor to be associated. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Laying all the drooling and drivel above aside, the 284 Win is a very good and cool
round. Best in mauser or '06 length action. 120 BT a real deer sized animal thumper and
the 160NP for elk, etc.
You do not see many owners selling theirs for a reason.
Just my 2 cents.

I've owned quite a few 284s and 284 based wildcats, still have 16 of them around somewhere. The 55mm/2.17" case length seems push the magazine limits in most short actions and if going with a long action, except for the cool factor, why not just do a 270 or 280? Nobody thinks of the 6.5x55 as being a short action cartridge, while the 284 is seldom thought of as anything but a short action cartridge.

Winchester introduced the 284 in their Models 88 and 100 to give owners of those rifles a cartridge with performance similar to the 270. It accomplished that goal, but if the number of those rifles sold is any indication, buyers overwhelmingly preferred to buy those rifles chambered in 243 and 308.

For the guy who doesn't reload, the Winchester/Olin 150 grain PP 284 factory load has approximately the same performance specs as their 150 grain PP 308 factory load, making a 284 an expensive to own, expensive to feed, rifle that does what the less expensive to feed and exponentially more common 308 will do equally well. But it does have an undeniable cool factor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
260gal,

All you had to say was "ditto",rather than extoll your Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude ala GoogleFu...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now you can say you've "seen" one,which makes this a VERY Big Day for you,though I'm not ging to tell you what it is. Hint.

P.S. do not "forget" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is there a consensus explanation of why the 284 failed commercially? (I know tons of rounds come and go, just wondering if there's something specific that doomed it.)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was/is a series of mechanical compromises,that kept the cart in front of the horse. There was never a platform REALLY suited towards it and less same,things reliably falter. Had it been an '06 length case,it would have stolen The Show. Hint...............

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It was/is a series of mechanical compromises,that kept the cart in front of the horse. There was never a platform REALLY suited towards it and less same,things reliably falter. Had it been an '06 length case,it would have stolen The Show. Hint...............
Thanks.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
yeah Winchester wouldnt put it in there model 70 platform for any length of time only the 100 and 88

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The .284 holds a special place for me. That was my first deer rifle I purchased way back in 1966 or '67. I handloaded for it using IMR-4350 or H-4831 and 130-150 grain bullets. Killed my first 2 deer with it at the longest range I've ever had to shoot. Yeah it's special but, now I'm using a 7mm08 or preferably a 7mm Mauser, which are a little more special.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
NYrifleman has a 284 ultralight custom in the classifieds.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a few. Here's some Savages in 284. As much as they "suck" they sure kill the crap out of blacktails and bears. Absolutely love mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5EkszG0.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/19/22.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have long done/seen same with 223/223AI,amongst a myriad of other chamberings. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Nice pictures

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Any Love for .284 Win ?

Yes I like mine and it works. It's built on a 98 action, (06 action length), 21" bll,

This guy had his nose to the ground trailing 1 of 2 Does ahead of him about 25 yds.
I didn't know his L antler was broken.

This guy was walking straight away from me and I shot him in the back of the neck. The bullet ranged
up and cracked his skull. His L antler dangled. He's posed to see normal rack.

I'm shooting Hornady 139 BTSP @ 3000 fps. (kinda like 270 W and 140s)

Jerry smile grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
200yds looking at me,ala 120gr ShamWow. Hint.

20yds 223AI 62. Hint.

Inside 10yds broadside Cranium,7-08 and 162. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've got a few. Here's some Savages in 284. As much as they "suck" they sure kill the crap out of blacktails and bears. Absolutely love mine.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5EkszG0.jpg?1[/img]

Awesome bunch of Bucks and Bears! Great 99's as well.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by limabean
Thoughts on a 284 win? I ran across a weatherby vanguard that had a custom 284 win barrel with a nice leupold scope on it today. I’m a reloader so it peaked my interest. Is it worth trying out?
Buy it and go forth and kill critters with it!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.