Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17442223 07/20/22
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been taking care of my brother at home (Parkinson's) for some time but now is the time for a nursing home. This nasty disease is taking him downhill so quickly over the past 60 days that it is no longer safe for him to be here because of numerous, an frequent falls and serious cognitive decline. I understand the VA coverage for that (he has 100% disability) but have another question: would his disability compensation continue even if he were in a VA approved nursing home? I have been told yes, and then no, by people in different affiliated departments and services.

I have spent the last week trying to get definitive answers, to no avail. The health care portion of the VA does not know and suggested I call the benefits department. One person said they did not know, so I called again in hopes of getting someone else. That person told me that they do not accept the Health Care POA on file with the health department. They sent me yet another form to fill out, which likely take weeks for them to process. A bit of a clusterfuck.

So, does anyone here have any experience with this? I have been waiting for return calls, but none so far. Getting more than a little bit frustrated.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My father continued to recieve his full 100% disablity cks while he was in a VA Nursing home and after thay put him a privite home ....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My senator can cut through VA red tape like a weedeater through tissue paper, but I live in America. Not sure how the People's Republic of Illinois handles things. None of the fat cat bureaucrats at VA like to tangle with Marcia Blackburn.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and this

VA Info

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Stikeu. I've read that link before, but it mentions pensions, not disability payments which, IIRC, are considered separate issues.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
My senator can cut through VA red tape like a weedeater through tissue paper, but I live in America. Not sure how the People's Republic of Illinois handles things. None of the fat cat bureaucrats at VA like to tangle with Marcia Blackburn.

I have known several people who got no answers from the VA until they contacted their Senator or Representative. Take Hotrod's advice.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My GF is a former VHA chief, and current Senior Veterans Service Rep with the VA, I told her the story, and she will look into it. She said she might need your personal contact info for further investigation.

PM me for details

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
LoadClear.....Thanks so much for the offer. Tried a PM but it does not seem to work.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
PM received and info forwarded to my GF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you !!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
LoadClear....she emailed and just called me with the exact information I have been trying to glean for some time.
Thank you so much for going out of your way to help. Thank her as well. She was delightful....I'm thinking you are a lucky man.

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the verdict for possible future help

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DANNYL
What's the verdict for possible future help
I don’t know (and can’t know- she can’t talk to me about work due to HIPPA), my understanding is that she pointed him towards someone who can help… she also told him to contact her directly for follow up help if needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two words: Law Yer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 28 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.