Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I've had a RRA NM A4 on order for over a year and if it didn't show up soon I'm cancelling the order and buying a Keystone Accuracy barrel and building an upper. For those of you shooting ether RRA/Nordic/JP or Ceiner/Atchison builds, have you had any problems with CCI SV or Norma TAC-22 ammo? The reading I've done seems they can be hit or miss with lower velocity ammo. I'm looking for reliable ammo that will shoot good enough for me to practice Service Rifle at 100yds on reduced targets for standing and sitting. I don't need it to shoot like lot tested Eley in my competition bolt gun.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My DPMS/Nordic system is the most reliable.22LR semi-auto I’ve ever had the pleasure of shooting. It has never failed to function with any .22LR ammo except CCI Quite 40 gr. It’ll gobble up the 45gr CCI Quite Semi-Auto like nobody’s business though. I’ve 20K plus rounds through her with 25 or so different types of ammo but mostly CCI SV. I run Black Dog mags and Mil-Spec Trigger. But have run her on lowers with Geissele SSA- enhanced and Hi-Speed NM. Also with Larue’s two stage trigger. Multiple times she has gone 2-3k rounds between cleanings with nothing but an oiling of the bolt to maintain the sludge in liquid form. I’ve been very impressed with the reliability. Kinda stunned actually.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I finally got the rifle a couple days ago and so far it eats everything. I just need to see what shoots best. Not surprisingly, it doesn't shoot well with most HV ammo. I tested FGMM HV today and it showed some promise and I've got some CCI and Fiocchi to test tomorrow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Given a choice,I'll take Blazers. Hint............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
[img]https://imgur.com/a/oelf89N[/img]

I've only got a couple hundred shots on it and I normally see best accuracy/precision after about 1000 in a rimfire. CCI looks better than Norma in the 6-7 cents/round range. I expect some of the fliers to go away, or minimize, in the next 500.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I had a couple of bricks of CCI Blazer I decided to try since CCI SV shot well. It's every bit as good as, if not better than, the SV. I'll be at 1000 round in a few days and am going to shoot some Green Tag just to see what the precision/accuracy potential of the gun is but for training it looks like either of the CCI products are reliable and accurate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being 22 rimfire ammunition, unfortunately the lot matters...

I had some Blazer that shot really well (better than CCI SV). Later picked up some more, nowhere near the accuracy of the original.

So just like match ammunition, if it shoots good, pick a quantity of the same lot up.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I assembled a dedicated 22LR with barrel and BCG from CMMG. It's not a tack-driver, but to be fair I only shoot Federal bulk, and Rem Golden Bullet through it. Milspec trigger. It's good for an inch or so at 25 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 09/05/22.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

I had some Blazer that shot really well (better than CCI SV). Later picked up some more, nowhere near the accuracy of the original.

So just like match ammunition, if it shoots good, pick a quantity of the same lot up.

Jerry
I know I can buy Lapua and Eley that way because I buy Eley 5000 at a time for my match rifle. I know I can buy CCI in bulk but who's selling multiple lots of single boxes for testing and has cases of the same they are willing to pull on order?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance

Jerry
I know I can buy Lapua and Eley that way because I buy Eley 5000 at a time for my match rifle. I know I can buy CCI in bulk but who's selling multiple lots of single boxes for testing and has cases of the same they are willing to pull on order?

Ha, ha... absolutely no one, for a reason, it's not match ammo.

If you buy a box and it shoots really good==> head back to the place you got it and buy a ton more of the same lot.

My issue is I'll buy a box (of 500 or whatever) and either not shoot it for months or else the curse of having too many 22's==> not find a gun that does really well with it until months later, at which point it's "sheit, wished I'd bought a bunch of that lot back then, too late now".

Jerry

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You guys using a 1/9” barrel, or doing a 1/16” (like a normal 22LR would have???

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by fburgtx
You guys using a 1/9” barrel, or doing a 1/16” (like a normal 22LR would have???
1:16 twist and for whatever reason they use the .22 LR Sporting chamber instead of a Bentz or one of a couple other better chambers that with in self loaders.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Ha, ha... absolutely no one, for a reason, it's not match ammo.

If you buy a box and it shoots really good==> head back to the place you got it and buy a ton more of the same lot.

My issue is I'll buy a box (of 500 or whatever) and either not shoot it for months or else the curse of having too many 22's==> not find a gun that does really well with it until months later, at which point it's "sheit, wished I'd bought a bunch of that lot back then, too late now".

Jerry
I didn't think so, because it's not match ammo. I haven't seen any LGS with multiple bricks or cases where I can just get more. Last time I saw a pallet of ammo it was 3 hours from my house. I probably will just order a case of CCI SV or Blazer based on cost at the time (they cost about the same currently) because I'm shooting 20-50 rounds a day, most days, from standing or seated and 1-1.5" at 50yds is good enough.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Mine is a 1/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance
I haven't seen any LGS with multiple bricks or cases where I can just get more. Last time I saw a pallet of ammo it was 3 hours from my house. I probably will just order a case of CCI SV or Blazer based on cost at the time (they cost about the same currently) because I'm shooting 20-50 rounds a day, most days, from standing or seated and 1-1.5" at 50yds is good enough.

Since the latest shortage I seldom see ammo locally, and if I do the price is ridiculous.

Last CCI-SV I bought from here. I use them for the free shipping for a case, otherwise the shipping on a case is ridiculous to the western U.S.

Last time I bought here, they had 500 packs of Blazer, and it was more (per round) than the Standard Velocity.

Jerry

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-long-rifle-ammo-c-202.aspx

fburgtx,

"You guys using a 1/9” barrel, or doing a 1/16” (like a normal 22LR would have???"

1:16, I never had one of the conversion units (that used your 5.56's .224 fast twist barrel), but what I've read both the .224" and the fast twist resulted in mediocre accuracy.

Jerry

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I've yet to see or shoot a 22 AR that shot anywhere close to accurate. Waste of $$ IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I've yet to see or shoot a 22 AR that shot anywhere close to accurate. Waste of $$ IMO.

Sounds kind of boring.

What's your definition of accurate?

Not every 22LR I have/had was for accuracy alone, some are just neat guns and some people find them fun to shoot...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Define, accurate. Mine is accurate. It zeros well, holds zero, and will always hit in the X/10-ring if I do my part. It's not as precise as my custom bolt gun. It's more precise than a lot of .22's I've shot tho. It definitely isn't a waste of money as a Service Rifle trainer.

Last edited by KineticPerformance; 09/07/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.