Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Heading down to Belize in September I believe.

Been there once years ago. Hired a guy to take us out on the reef and then just outside the reef.Got into tuna big time.

Looking to fish again this time with my teenage son. Maybe some backwater fly fishing also.

Anyone have any experiences? Recommendations?

Montana MOFO
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I recommend you stop by the Capitol City of Helena, and pick me up and take me with you!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Extremely envious. A seriously broad collection of quarry to fish for down there. Being a fly flinger myself, tarpon, bonefish, permit would be on my list.

1Minute
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
I recommend you stop by the Capitol City of Helena, and pick me up and take me with you!

Probably just getting a 1 br condo. Probably be a bit cozy.

Like I said, we went about 10 years ago. Really enjoyed it. Great food. Awesome beach and marine life.

Been thinking back over our last trip now that we have tickets to go. Going to be a lot of fun.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Learned from some friends that the fishing from the dock at the condo can be pretty good. Think we will take some rods with us to take advantage of that.

So, the question is: baitcasters with braided?

Montana MOFO
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
So, you can approach much of DIY fishing in Belize, just like fishing the Gulf Coast…..as far as technique and tackle go. A wacky-hooked Berkeley rubber ghost crab, with 1/4oz on a tag, 14” up a 17# flouro leader, jigged off mangrove roots, accounted for the largest snook I’ve ever personally seen. 37”.

Just be careful wading the brackish, as they have crocs. Same with the keys…..lots of nice grass flats, but the sharks get thick at sundown.

Baitcasters OR spinners with 25-30# braid and flouro leaders were the ticket for me. Mostly spinners, as the sea breeze was usually ripping and those phantom gusts had to be contended with, while using a horizontal spool.

I’ll send you a PM with some specifics for a fishing ‘side trip’ that’s pretty cool.

Kayaks inside the reef are fun.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
So, you can approach much of DIY fishing in Belize, just like fishing the Gulf Coast…..as far as technique and tackle go. A wacky-hooked Berkeley rubber ghost crab, with 1/4oz on a tag, 14” up a 17# flouro leader, jigged off mangrove roots, accounted for the largest snook I’ve ever personally seen. 37”.

Just be careful wading the brackish, as they have crocs. Same with the keys…..lots of nice grass flats, but the sharks get thick at sundown.

Baitcasters OR spinners with 25-30# braid and flouro leaders were the ticket for me. Mostly spinners, as the sea breeze was usually ripping and those phantom gusts had to be contended with, while using a horizontal spool.

I’ll send you a PM with some specifics for a fishing ‘side trip’ that’s pretty cool.

Kayaks inside the reef are fun.

Thanks. I am going to go and try to pick up some gear tonight or tomorrow to take with us. Not sure if we have flouro that heavy here. Will find out.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Montana MOFO
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
There is a good tackle shop in Belize City….can’t recall the name, but it’s in a decent part of town. I’m sure Ambergris/San Pedro has something….just never looked.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Went out all day yesterday. Caught more species of snapper than I knew there were. Caught small grouper, parrot fish etc.

The boy caught a ton of fish, a shark, a gooney bird and a barracuda. As a friend called it, the Belizean Grand Slam.

Have to find the local bait supply and will hit it from the dock and maybe from the kayaks available here at the condos.

Montana MOFO
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Well how was the rest of the trip? I'm hooked on Panama specifically kayak fishing in Panama. Heading back for round 3 in May. Any photos of your trip. Ocean kayak fishing is my new addiction [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.